Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel pillow

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Travel pillow

I know this has been debated a million times on this forum, but I have yet to find a decent travel pillow that actually helps me sleep on the plane and train, rather than makes it worse.

The one's I own currently completely suck and are uncomfortable.

I am looking for something that is (preferably) inflatable so it packs small, and actually helps me sleep on the plane and on train rides.

So, does anyone here have any suggestions as to what you'd recommend? What do you use?

I appreciate any and all replies in advance.

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:10 am
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
I am reminded of the scene in 'Up in the Air' when Ryan Bingham stuffs Natalie Keener's pillow into the trashcan.

If you can find a pillow that's inflatable and actually comfortable let me know. I'll make you a billionaire.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:16 am

I like the TravelRest inflatable pillow. Looks a bit odd, but allows me to sleep really well.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Curious as to what are you currently using to base your generalized comments on ?

There are literally tens if not hundreds of inflatable ones out there, from super no-thrills $2.99 Walmart/Target specials to the designer brands lined/covered with silk.

How about REI brand self-inflating ones? Personally, I prefer & use microbeads and travel-sized memory foam styles, and it ride along clipped to the backpack in transit ... Travel sized "Down" pillows are good too and can be compressed for space & light in weight.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by shootingrubber
I know this has been debated a million times on this forum
It has and there has been lots of input in past threads on personal preferences and favorite brands & products so would recommend reviewing those posts.

FWIW My current go-to pillow is a simple inflatable model from Magellan's that I bought on sale for $17 and thought was a good deal. It packs fairly light, inflates and deflates quite easily and the cover doesn't annoy me. Just MHO.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Curious as to what are you currently using to base your generalized comments on ?

There are literally tens if not hundreds of inflatable ones out there, from super no-thrills $2.99 Walmart/Target specials to the designer brands lined/covered with silk.

How about REI brand self-inflating ones? Personally, I prefer & use microbeads and travel-sized memory foam styles, and it ride along clipped to the backpack in transit ... Travel sized "Down" pillows are good too and can be compressed for space & light in weight.
I'm with you on this one. I had an inflatable one for ages and two years ago I broke down and bought a microbead one from the Samsonite outlet after a particularly un-cozy, kink-in-the-neck flight. I admit I absolutely despise dragging it around but I'm much more comfortable with it than I was before, so I consider the inconvenience worth it.

REI makes good stuff and I'd certainly give them a shot - I would've when I bought the Samsonite one but there's no REI near my mom. They also have a crazy awesome return policy so basically it's a risk free experience!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Put me in the TravelRest inflatable camp. I tried other inflatables and blow ups as I like the ability to customize the loft and none compare to the TravelRest. Squishes down small for packing and for me, is just the right size when inflated. Just used it on my first trips in Feb. and love it.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

I said preferably inflatable, but would settle for something comfortable that's not inflatable.

Right now I have been using some random microbead one I bought years ago. I've tried multiple types of this kind (the standard U shaped neck pillow), but I find it doesn't help me much in terms of sleeping.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by shootingrubber
I said preferably inflatable, but would settle for something comfortable that's not inflatable.

Right now I have been using some random microbead one I bought years ago. I've tried multiple types of this kind (the standard U shaped neck pillow), but I find it doesn't help me much in terms of sleeping.
If there's an REI near you, go check them out. They actually have a LOT of travel stuff and their return policy is insane. Heck, someone there can probably make a great recommendation for you; their staff is really knowledgable and I know they encourage them to try out stuff.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:31 pm

First post for me. I got this pillow for a recent overnight flight. It's not ultra-compact, and it makes me look like a bug. (Yes I saw someone smirk as she passed me in the aisle.)

But I found it more comfortable than anything else I've tried. I have a bad neck, and inflatables or memory foam just don't work for me. I'm torn about the packing size it takes up, but a better night's sleep is likely worth it.

The pillow didn't work well with over-the-ear headphones. Because the sides covers part of the ears (muffling sound a bit), it worked well with earbuds. Next trip I'll try this with Airbuds (acquired recently due to FT thread). The packing space saved by leaving the big headphones at home might help offset the size of the pillow.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:16 pm

I have neck problems, and lucked into this travel pillow from Eagle Creek:
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/sandman-t...-small/d/1133#

I liked the fact that it comes with a soft cover which is washable, and that it folds down into a compact size. It is also easy to inflate and deflate. I have a small neck, so inflating it all the way is way too big--however, inflating it partway is perfect, and easy to do.

I have also found other creative ways to use it, like inflating it a bit and folding it for use as lumbar support.

I know I paid less than $24 for it (more like $17), so shop around!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Alright, so I'm now considering a non-inflatable due to posts here and ample research done online.

I've read quite a few threads across different forums that mention some of the U shaped ones with memory foam are extremely comfortable. Any thoughts on this? Which would you recommend? I've been looking at cheap options on eBay, and may take a chance on one of those.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:19 pm

Personally, I don't find u-shaped ones comfortable because the back of the U tilts my head forward.

It's cheap, and feels it a bit around the edges, but I've found this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
quite comfortable and don't take a red-eye without it. It is basically two sides with no back so your head leans against the seatback, but the sides of the pillow give you something to lean on at either side.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:49 am

I suggest looking at pillows which are "narrow" at the neck. from my experience, if that section is too thick, the neck is pushed away from the seat headrest, which mean you'll have to arch neck backwards to actually touch the headrest, which is uncomfortable.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Can I jump in and suggest a Caldera neck releaf? I found it's the best thing I've used and probably the only one I've woken up with and not actually having a cricked neck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.