Tumi outlet questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi outlet questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold (first time 2015!) - DL
My favorite Tumi outlet is the Cabazon CA store on the Morongo reservation along I-10. Prices and sales vary and the bigger sales occur twice a year and can be 30 to 40% occasionally a bit more). Inventory varies widely so it pays to stop in regularly if you can. When they close out limited edition models you can get a great deal at the outlets. I routinely buy 4 to 10 pieces and sell 3/4 of them on ebay and it pays for or offsets the 2 to 3 pieces I keep for myself and my ebay buyers are still thrilled with the deals. The people at the Cabazon store have helped me with many warranty repairs mostly on handles in the T3 line and they never ask me for receipts to prove when I bought them and they have never charged me a cent for the repairs. I've been buying Tumi since 2007 and I can say the quality of the linings has gone down hill. If you compare the quality and feel of the older linings they blow away the newer stuff but that's my only gripe and I just bought an Alpha 2 Leather International Carry on this last week for 30% off
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Sorry to drag this thread up...

But can anyone recommend an outlet store that can be ordered online in the US for delivery within the US?

Thank you.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Sorry to drag this thread up...

But can anyone recommend an outlet store that can be ordered online in the US for delivery within the US?

Thank you.
Not quite an outlet store but Gilt and others regularly have Tumi sales. Not sure what is available at this time, or whether the pricing is any good, but I have seen great deals there on occasion (particularly for older stock or lines normally sold at the outlets).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Nordstrom Rack has a lot of Tumi currently. Prices are about 50% off.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cellisttoo
Thanks for the heads up, this will be a great way to go for real tumi.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
You should also check Ruelala. They frequently have Tumi sales as well.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Outlet models vs. retail models

Originally Posted by arjunrc
This is very interesting. I would have never imagined a Tumi outlet store would sell inferior quality stuff as well - old models, I can understand. Thanks! I'll make sure I ask. Is the right question 'Is this the same quality as a regular Tumi bag sold in US Retail stores?' or some other way to verify quality and fall into a sales pitch?
As far as I know, the outlet store has some models that are never sold in regular retail stores. I can't say the quality of these models is bad. However they do show difference if you look into the details. For example, some briefcases and luggage sold at outlet stores do not have the monogram pad. Otherwise they look very similar to the retail models. The size of zippers can be different as well. Be careful if you care about such details.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Return policy at Tumi outlet store

When I visited a Tumi outlet store in TX in April, I was told that nothing can be returned for refund but for store credit only. It's a surprise to me so I left without purchasing anything.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:45 am

That's generally par for the course when buying from any outlet stores, as lots of people resell on eBay, etc.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Cellisttoo
Good and easy - but not as good as the outlet stores from what I've seen.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
As far as I know, the outlet store has some models that are never sold in regular retail stores. I can't say the quality of these models is bad. However they do show difference if you look into the details. For example, some briefcases and luggage sold at outlet stores do not have the monogram pad. Otherwise they look very similar to the retail models. The size of zippers can be different as well. Be careful if you care about such details.
The outlets have a combination of regular Tumi products, and products specifically made for the outlet stores.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:49 am

Completely disagree!

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Interested in how you came down to these 2, because they are day and night...

The Tumi Alpha is a lifetime quality bag. The Crew 9 is probably just a step above what you can buy at a Target (maybe.)
I've worked at Neiman-Marcus & bought Tumi bags that fall apart & can attest from customers' returns that Tumi is WAY over-priced and NOT great quality. I continue to buy Tumi as I like styles, design & prestige of owning but to say TravelPro is Target-like quality is laughable! Over 20 years I've had 40% of my Tumi have wheel, tubing &/or seam issues requiring repair or replacement and that's where I feel idiotic to keep buying it. Tumi is NOT easy to work with and they don't honor the very simple (& what is supposed to be) "100% no hassle" guarantee without huge amounts of effort and time. Their culture is to train associates AND MANAGEMENT in Consumer Affairs to talk like robots & make things anything but hassle-free.

Last edited by Right1; May 9, 2016 at 10:10 am Reason: Incomplete
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:59 am

Outlet store quality

Originally Posted by arjunrc
This is very interesting. I would have never imagined a Tumi outlet store would sell inferior quality stuff as well - old models, I can understand. Thanks! I'll make sure I ask. Is the right question 'Is this the same quality as a regular Tumi bag sold in US Retail stores?' or some other way to verify quality and fall into a sales pitch?
my observation has been that a lot of the designer stuff (not just TUMI) at outlets is much lower quality and as such often overpriced.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:43 pm

I've just picked up one of the 'outlet variants' of an Alpha 2 carry-on. No monogram patch, as reported above for quite a few other outlet lines.

Someone mentioned earlier that the monogram patch can be ordered - does anyone know where from? I've had a good look online but not had much success finding anything other than a bright red / blue one as part of a Tumi accent kit.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I was in a Dooney & Bourke (handbags, totes, etc.) outlet near Tampa last week. The saleslady told me theirs is the only company that only sells the company's regular merchandise at outlet stores. She specifically mentioned that most Coach items at outlets are specifically made for outlets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.