best noise isolating earplugs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best noise isolating earplugs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:49 pm
Suspended

I hate the low frequency hiss associated with actual sound canceling. I love the AirBuds (www.air-buds.com) as said before and a few other members have really enjoyed them as well. They are cheap, about 40$ and are made from memory foam so they can be worn for a long time and are exceptional with blocking out sound.

These are the best piece of travel comfort technology I have bought in a while and have been showing them off.

I think they work just as well as other in ear monitors I have tried and have a well balanced sound. replaced other headphones and earplugs for me
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:59 am

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
I personally love the Ultimate Ears Customs... The low end model is more then fine, and it pugs in for great sound as a bonus. on the downside they are 400 bucks.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by ck777
I'm trying to decide between air buds or one of the recommended ear buds in the thread, so this has been really helpful.
Holy buckets. Based on this thread and another along the same vein, I ordered a pair of Airbuds. Just received them...have them in now.... WOW. The amount of ambient sound they dampen is amazing (with white noise app running), plus they're ridiculously comfortable---even for me, with tender, hard to fit ear canals. These will be a Godsend on an upcoming flight to Taipei.

Just replaced my far more expensive Vmodas.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Originally Posted by PaperQueen
but the outer ear will continue to pick up ambient vibrations.
would wearing soft earmuffs with the earplugs cut down the outer ear vibrations and cut the volume ?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
For normal, regular earplugs I swear by silicone earplugs, and in particular the brand "BioEars".

On flights I squish those into my ears then use ear covering noise-cancelling headphones (although I'm tempted to try the white-noise idea, thanks).

Nothing is going to get rid of all the noise but this certainly cuts out a huge amount.
Lots of brands available at drug or sporting goods. I use 'em for swimming and occasionally noise. They plug up your ear canals though and some people might not like the feeling. Works for me and can't beat the price.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:39 am

I'm trying to decide between air buds or one of the recommended ear buds in the thread, so this has been really helpful
As noted in another thread we're both part of, I just received my AirBuds yesterday (thought I'd give them a spin, given the number of FlyerTalk folks who like them). Holy cow. They're incredibly comfortable, sound great, and dampen ambient sound considerably better than traditional in-ear buds. Tried them out in the office...nearly missed a phone call because it was "masked" by music playing at a comfortable (medium) volume.

The memory foam buds are the key. My inner ears are ridiculously sensitive...these feel good, even for long periods of time. Will be perfect for sleeping on my MSP > NRT flight in a few weeks, paired with White Noise Pro (the app I shared earlier in this thread).

Someday, I might invest $100-$200 for Etys with custom molds, but for now, these will replace my $$$ Vmodas. Who knew...?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:49 am
Suspended

As noted in another thread we're both part of, I just received my AirBuds yesterday (thought I'd give them a spin, given the number of FlyerTalk folks who like them). Holy cow. They're incredibly comfortable, sound great, and dampen ambient sound considerably better than traditional in-ear buds. Tried them out in the office...nearly missed a phone call because it was "masked" by music playing at a comfortable (medium) volume.

The memory foam buds are the key. My inner ears are ridiculously sensitive...these feel good, even for long periods of time. Will be perfect for sleeping on my MSP > NRT flight in a few weeks, paired with White Noise Pro (the app I shared earlier in this thread).

Someday, I might invest $100-$200 for Etys with custom molds, but for now, these will replace my $$$ Vmodas. Who knew...?

Glad you like them paper queen! I should get a free pair for the advertising im doing for them
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I love and hate this site. I'm always buying things I didn't really intend to. I just bought the airbuds, which are good for my needs and budget.

Now I need to figure out something to get me through sleeping next to someone that snores, which is for another thread and probably another discussion board.

Thanks as always for good recommendations from the different threads.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG, National
Originally Posted by niceflyer1186
Glad you like them paper queen! I should get a free pair for the advertising im doing for them
I hope you do better than that. I told Nick at Airbuds that your FlyerTalk review was the reason I ordered a few pairs plus the earphones. He was very pleased to hear that.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:10 pm

I love and hate this site. I'm always buying things I didn't really intend to.
+1 to that.

But they always turn out to be such. Good. Purchases. (whew!)
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:33 pm
Suspended

+1 to that.

But they always turn out to be such. Good. Purchases. (whew!)
I agree, this is a goldmine for real, legitimate product reviews. Possible website idea for travel related products reviewed by actual travelers?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Airbuds Question

Just received mine. I was really excited to get these.

I have a question for those of you who have ordered.

I'm not sure, but It appears that the airbuds I received had been used. The tips attached were Mis-shaped and had some discoloration (oil???) on part of the tips.

Some additional background.

Came in the sealed envelope. Opened the envelope and the box inside was open - no big deal. Pulled the sleeve out with the airbuds and tips - One of the tips on the end fell out, and the Cord on the air buds was dangling not properly wrapped and stored in the slot.

I was just curious if this was consistent with the experience of others on FT?
If so cool, If not I'll call the 877 xxx-xxxx number on the invoice.

I have a five hour flight today and was really looking forward to trying them out but I'll probably take one of my other 8 (I need to stop buying headphones!!!!)

Thanks in advance.

Maps
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by mapsgl
I have a question for those of you who have ordered.

I'm not sure, but It appears that the airbuds I received had been used. The tips attached were Mis-shaped and had some discoloration (oil???) on part of the tips.

I was just curious if this was consistent with the experience of others on FT?
If so cool, If not I'll call the 877 xxx-xxxx number on the invoice.
I don't recall exactly how mine were packaged (was so excited to get the things, unboxing was a blur). Being slightly misshapen wouldn't concern me since the foam is pliable. Should have morphed back into shape within a few seconds after you took them out.

As for discoloration or oiliness...nope, that shouldn't be the case. Airbuds' customer service is top notch; I'd give them a call or shoot them an email. Believe me, they want you happy, and will move heaven and earth to get you there. ^
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:59 am

"Noise canceling" and "earplugs" don't really go hand-in-hand. Sound vibrations are collected by the entire outer ear, funneled into the canal and inner ear (think: kind of like speaking into a megaphone). Blocking the ear canal dampens most of the inbound sound, but the outer ear will continue to pick up ambient vibrations.

In real world terms, even with really good earplugs/earbuds, a certain amount of ambient sound will still transmit "into your head" via vibration. For me, it's higher pitches that bleed through (think: female voice, kids). For others, it's midrange that gets through.

If you want to avoid full ear coverage (headphones) your best bet is:

1. Find a really, really good set of audio earbuds

2. Listen to a white noise program on your mobile device (I'm partial to White Noise Pro, on my iPhone and iPad)
I second this. I can't sleep with over ear headphones and haven't found a comfortable pair of active noise cancelling earbuds within a decent price range. White Noise Pro is well worth the $3. It doesn't reduce noise but I find listening to a hard rain much more relaxing or easier to sleep to versus muffled talking.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:23 pm

Are you guys ordering the airbud earbuds or just the replacement tips and using them on our current earbuds?

-fillalph

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.