Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelpro Warranty – claims un-repairable

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Travelpro Warranty – claims un-repairable

I have a 3-year old 22” Travelpro Atlantic Infinity Elite which has a cracked internal plastic liner. Pieces of plastic were loose between the cloth cover and the internal fabric.

TravelPro customer service claims that this bag is not covered under its warranty because it was caused by “Blatant Damage”. There is no sign of damage to the outside of the bag. The more I used this bag, the more the plastic broke. Also, nothing heavy was in the bag.

I had purchased this bag because of the Travelpro warranty. It sure looks like a manufacturing defect to me. Has anyone else had a similar experience with a Travelpro bag and how did you resolve it?

They also claim that the bag is “un-repairable” and they will not sell me the plastic piece so that I can install it myself. Any suggestions where to buy the honeycomb plastic?

Thank you,

Travelmike1
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:03 am

I'm far from one to back travelpro's warranty. Particularly brittle plastic could do this. But so can banging up (or checking) a bag that is fairly empty. Without anything inside to absorb the energy, the plastic can deform enough to break. But this need not mar the outside fabric.

You might want to search the forum for travelpro warranty, or hope travelpro's rep stops by.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:32 am
Original Poster

What bothers me the most is that though I've travel extensively, I've never checked this bag. One day I happened to notice the loose plastic pieces rattling around inside. I went to the local TravelPro service center and they recommended that I contact TravelPro directly, whose representative of course, rejected my claim.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by travelmike1
TravelPro customer service claims that this bag is not covered under its warranty because it was caused by “Blatant Damage”. There is no sign of damage to the outside of the bag. The more I used this bag, the more the plastic broke. Also, nothing heavy was in the bag.
What does this even mean - "Caused by Blatant Damage?"

The warranty doesn't cover the bag being damaged? THe wth does it cover?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Well, not covered because of the cause of the damage and "un-repairable" are two different things - so I'd be asking them what exactly the problem is.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I'd try and PM their rep on here. Then, if I were to buy Travelpro again, I'd go for their Platinum line. Much stronger warranty
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by N1120A
I'd try and PM their rep on here. Then, if I were to buy Travelpro again, I'd go for their Platinum line. Much stronger warranty
once bitten, twice shy should apply here. Travelpro added insult to injury for the OP. Why would anyone want to buy a product from a company that does not stand behind their products? It is not like the Travelpro products are by any means unique out there and there are not similar products in the market...
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by travelmike1
I have a 3-year old 22” Travelpro Atlantic Infinity Elite which has a cracked internal plastic liner. Pieces of plastic were loose between the cloth cover and the internal fabric.

I had purchased this bag because of the Travelpro warranty. It sure looks like a manufacturing defect to me. Has anyone else had a similar experience with a Travelpro bag and how did you resolve it?

They also claim that the bag is “un-repairable” and they will not sell me the plastic piece so that I can install it myself. Any suggestions where to buy the honeycomb plastic?

Thank you,

Travelmike1
I am PMing you with the person you need to contact to discuss further.

Paul Lawrence
Travelpro International
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:50 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
And This IS The Reason...

I only purchase Briggs & Riley!!!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
once bitten, twice shy should apply here. Travelpro added insult to injury for the OP. Why would anyone want to buy a product from a company that does not stand behind their products? It is not like the Travelpro products are by any means unique out there and there are not similar products in the market...
I was making a general comment about Travelpro. They have what amounts to a "no matter what" warranty for their Platinum line, but not for anything else that I know of. Its too easy to slither out of a "lifetime defect" warranty, or to make it too frustrating to pursue.

I will give TP credit for the fact that they 1) have a rep on FT and 2) that rep is responsive, as illustrated by his post in this thread.

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
I only purchase Briggs & Riley!!!
And the heavy weight, lower utility and (in some cases) looks of B&R is the reason I only purchase Red Oxx.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, UA PLAT, AmEx Plat
I have had my travelpro Platinum 4se for about uhm.. 10 years now..
the bag is holding up pretty well, however the wheels are shot.. i mean they are pretty much square now.
i have just ordered another set on-line, but now, that i'm remembering the lifetime warranty, are the wheels covered? I assume not (standard wear and tear)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:21 am

Thanks for reminding me why I crossed off TravelPro when shopping for a new suitcase last year and went with Swiss Army Victorinox. I read about TravelPro's warranty and it got mixed reviews. I am sorry for your issues and I don't mean to come off as being like "Ha Ha you get what you paid for".

Honestly I read reviews online and read each companies Warranty Policies online and went with Victorinox Werks Traveler.

My question is what do they mean by damage beyond repair? If you have evidence that the airlines damaged it copy their report and send it in.

I hope it turns out well and they change their heart and replace it or fix it for you.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:25 am

Dear OP,

What I would do is call TravelPro and ask to speak with the Director of HR or the Warranty Department and explain to them that the salesperson who sold you the bag misled you and that had you known there would be an issue replacing or repairing the bag you would have gone with another competitor such as Briggs and Riley, Victorinox etc. What I would do is ask them to explain why they won't repair it. Ask for a written statement. I would come back with all of your receipts, proof of damage by the airline etc.

I would then ask them to rethink their decision and that you are ready to post on FlyerTalk and other Social Media forums and contact people such as Peter Greenberg or Alexandar Anolik(Travel Lawyer in San Francisco) about your incident. Sometimes you have to make some noise in order to get what you want.

I had an issue where I was mislead with the shipment of an item but because I made noise they threw in an accessory free of charge. I was professional but firm.

Hope you can get this resolved ASAP.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by N1120A
I was making a general comment about Travelpro. They have what amounts to a "no matter what" warranty for their Platinum line, but not for anything else that I know of. Its too easy to slither out of a "lifetime defect" warranty, or to make it too frustrating to pursue.

I will give TP credit for the fact that they 1) have a rep on FT and 2) that rep is responsive, as illustrated by his post in this thread.

And the heavy weight, lower utility and (in some cases) looks of B&R is the reason I only purchase Red Oxx.
And the lack of wheels is why I only purchase B&R bags with wheels and Red Oxx bags without wheels. Well, and the occasional Tom Bihn and several Waterfield Design
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:34 am

I only wish I had read these posts before I bought my TravelPro Platinum bag. I am a victim of their warranty games.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.