Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip insurance recommendations - risk of death of a relative

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Trip insurance recommendations - risk of death of a relative

I have a major trip a little over two weeks away. The problem is that there's a risk that one of my travel partner's close relatives could die soon.

Is there trip insurance that could cover this? The trip was purchased on American more than a month ago and is now a little over 2 weeks away. It was purchased with a combination of AA vouchers and a credit card. The total value is almost $4000 for the two of us.
Old May 24, 2012, 8:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you could search this forum while you wait.......there have been lots of travel insurance ?s...
Old May 24, 2012, 8:52 pm

You might look into cancel any reason insurance (travel guard offers it, others may too). It is more expensive and won't cover 100% of your cost, but if you can buy it you won't have to worry about the illness being considered a pre-existing condition. You might also just try calling travel guard and asking them.
Old May 24, 2012, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving this thread to the Travel Products Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 24, 2012, 11:33 pm

I'd be surprised if there are exclusions for pre existing conditions of someone who isn't travelling. The vast majority of insurances will cover this, assuming the person who is ill is sufficiently close to one of the travelers - it's not clear the OP or other travelers relationship in the post.

For #1, a random policy from travel guard - their "silver" policy:
“Family Member” means the Insured’s or Traveling
Companion’s spouse, Domestic Partner, child, daughter-inlaw,
son-in-law, brother, sister, mother, father, grandparents,
grandchild, step-child, step-brother, step-sister, stepparents,
parents-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, aunt,
uncle, niece, nephew, legal guardian, Caregiver, foster child,
ward, or legal ward, or spouse or Domestic Partner of any
of the above.
This particular policy seems to cover the traveling companion's family members even if the companion isn't insured. But I'd be safe and lump the whole trip of everyone involved into one policy.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:45 am

Standard travel insurance would not work in this case due to pre-existing conditions. Travel insurance covers cancellations due to the death of an immediate family member (of an insured), but in this case is sounds like there might be a pre-existing conditions. For examples, you say there is a risk that someone could die soon, which implies that you already know about their medical condition.

This leaves you with Cancel for Any Reason, which lets you cancel a trip for any reason and receive up to 100% reimbursement if you meet certain conditions. One of those conditions is that you purchase your plan within a certain number of days of your initial trip deposit, but since you purchased the trip more than a month ago this would not work.

In short, it is too late to purchase any insurance that would cover this. You would have needed to purchase a plan with Cancel for Any Reason coverage soon after your initial trip deposit date (usually 10-15 days)
Old May 25, 2012, 10:46 am

Sorry, I skipped the pre-existing condition section of the policy I looked up. It has this pre-existing condition statement:

(s) PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION:
The Insurer will not pay for any loss or expense incurred
as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition of an
Insured, Traveling Companion, Business Partner, or
Family Member which, within the 180 day period
immediately preceding and including the Insured’s
coverage effective date: (a) first manifested itself,
worsened or became acute or had symptoms which would
have prompted a reasonable person to seek diagnosis,
care or treatment; (b) for which care or treatment was
given or recommended by a Physician; (c) required taking
prescription drugs or medicines, unless the condition for
which the drugs or medicines are taken remains controlled
without any change in the required prescription drugs or
medicines.
This doesn't seem to explicitly exclude death due to a pre-existing condition. (Unless "death" is an "other condition", but elsewhere they refer to death specifically.) But it is subject to interpretation, and I'm not a lawyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.