Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried Eddie Bauer Travex clothing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

I will admit to being a long-time Eddie Bauer fan as the clothing and goods are always a good wuality and IMHO worth the price. One of my most trusted travelling companions is a black shoulder bag that holds a good amount of odds & ends like travel guides, camera, watter bottle, memory cards, keys, etc.

The other day I was in a local store and noticed the new or relatively new Travex line up which includes a pair of convertible pants plus regular walking shorts and pants and thought they were built well and a decent price so wondered if any others had tried them yet.

The first thing on the rack that I liked was they didn't have that plasticy feel many of the lightweight convertible pants other companies have. Columbia for example had a model of convertible pants I saw the same shopping trip and didn't like them too much but the Eddie Bauer one had a different feel, less plasticy feel but still lightweight. The extra room in the knees and the backpockets with covers plus a utility/cell pocket on the calf were all quite well designed I thought. The price point was around $60 for the regular pant and about $75 for the convertible pair so in line with other companies most notably Columbia.

I think I might pick up a pair of the regular pants and give 'em a try but wondered whether others had done the same and had any input.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I have a strong feeling that a lot of this sort of clothing comes out of the same factory in China.

I did a wash and dry test on a pair of Eddie Bauer slacks and they did fine. They are nearly identical to Academy Sports Megellan's line of clothing.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:07 am
Suspended

I have tried a decent amount of travel clothing and I recommend two brands: Rohan and Tilley. Neither are cheap and neither look that stylish but they work.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flubber2012
I have tried a decent amount of travel clothing and I recommend two brands: Rohan and Tilley. Neither are cheap and neither look that stylish but they work.
I'm no fashion hound and when it comes to packing for me weight and convenience normally trump style but the lightweight nylon convertible pants to me shout 'traveller' and wonder if they make me stick out in certain places and at certain times.

I lucked into a paid of lightweight shorts earlier this year so will probably go with one pair of these Eddie Bauer pants to try them out and see if I like them.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Long time Tilley Originals user, and very pleased with their comfort, longevity, and usefulness. Several pairs of their travel pants, with secure velcro flaps on back pockets and an inside security pocket, and a D-ring on one of the beltloops, and a Tilley hat. All have long ago outlived their wear-out guarantees.

bj-21.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Meh. Tried on the Eddie Bauer Travex pants and didn't like 'em. The fit was okay but like lots of other super lightweight pants they make this funny sound when moving, a sort of crinkling sound that wasn't too appealing.

After walking out of the Eddie store I found at one of Canada's oldest men's stores, Tip Top Tailors, their house brand Grafton has a 5-pocket "Anywhere" pant on sale for $60 that I bought instead. The casual pant in lightweight, has stain guard and resists wrinkling because of the lycra which also gives it some flex when worn. The basic black is dressier than basic chinos and should wear and travel well and about the only downside was the lack of zippered pocket(s) for security.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:19 pm

I have both the OD green and Khaki pair in the non convertible version.
The pants are reasonably well made, pack well and are well pocketed. I think that the no convertible versions are tailored much more like a slack and less like a camp/cargo pant so to speak. I particularlly like that the cargo pocket on the side of the pant is hidden and that the wasistband has a button adjustor which lets you tighten up the pant a bit.

If really interested, give EB an email and you will likely get a 20-30% off coupon which makes the pants 45ish out the door instead of 65ish out the door.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I'm interested in the capri for women and figure I'll just wait until it goes on sale, mid-season or so^
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Am wearing the Grafton pair today and they fit and feel great! I will wear them around for the next month before my trip buy think they should do really well. The only decision is whether to buy another pair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.