Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

what carry-on makes someone a sophisticated traveller?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what carry-on makes someone a sophisticated traveller?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:44 pm

Arthur Dent certainly did, as did Douglas Adams.
Great reading on a long transatlantic flight for the sophisticated traveller.

Strange: I like the old UK original series much better than the recent Hollywood movie.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by Swissaire

Strange: I like the old UK original series much better than the recent Hollywood movie.
I should try to find the old shows on Netflix or something. I didn't watch at the time. I agree that the movie was a disappointment.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:56 am

There is a lot to what Till said. I basically agree except for probably the Samsonite in my opinion. But I really don't look at the bags. Anyone can by a bag. I look at the tags to see if they are an experienced traveler.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I have a bright yellow FT tag on mine, will that do?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Swissaire

Just beware of the leopard....

I still think you have to read the books. There's no substitute for one's own imagination with these things.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:04 am

On that note I watched some of the first episode (1981) last night.

The electronic book was original: Perhaps they should go after Apple and ebooks.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:17 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by antichef
I have a bright yellow FT tag on mine, will that do?
In my mind, that works!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Q:What makes a sophisticated traveller?
A:Watch George Clooney in Up In the Air

Q:How much is that yacht?
A:If you need to ask, you can't afford it.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:03 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Thumbs up It's all in the presentation

I typically walk around airports toting my Louis Vuitton in one hand and my Vertu cell phone in the other sporting an Armani blazer with a Hermes Cravat while asking passers-by in my heavy French Accent... "Pardon me, but, do you know where I could get a decent flute of Veuve Clicquot before my first class flight to Paris?"

Most casual travelers often say, "WOW! He's such a SOPHISTICATED traveler!"
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by tfar

However, I'd say you can recognize a traveler who has done the homework by how s/he passes through security and how they stow their stuff on board, how organized they are.

Sophistication comes from having learned the truth (sophia = Truth, knowledge) not from having bought the right brand. But yes, a little bit one would be able to deduct from the gear as outlined above.

Till
This. This, so much.

I believe, almost all of you on this forum, have something which I have dubbed "The Traveller Swagger".

I myself, do not yet have "The Traveller Swagger", I have only been flying continuously for ~6 months, so I am fairly new. However, when I see these type of travelers, like most of you I am sure are, and I am so envious.

A state of serenity, or calm, is very hard to fake. This is something that all sophisticated travelers share, but there is also a lot in the way you folks walk. The pace, is extremely relaxed, well spread steps. When you go through security, there is no real rush in your movements, yes there are exceptions, when your running late, etc. However, most of the time, its calm and relaxed. The most important aspect of the sophisticated travelers body to look at though is the face, I find it amazing, that even when TSA is right there on your case, this type of traveler will not express any emotion besides contempt.

Think about it, families with small children, they are stressed, non-stop, its written on parents faces, students travelling with their friends or their school are giddy with excitement, elderly couples are generally always cautious and on the look-out, paying attention to their surroundings. However, the sophisticated traveller, knows where he is going, knows the procedures inside-out, etc.

Sham

Last edited by Shaam; Mar 31, 2012 at 10:08 pm
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
I typically walk around airports toting my Louis Vuitton in one hand and my Vertu cell phone in the other sporting an Armani blazer with a Hermes Cravat while asking passers-by in my heavy French Accent... "Pardon me, but, do you know where I could get a decent flute of Veuve Clicquot before my first class flight to Paris?"

Most casual travelers often say, "WOW! He's such a SOPHISTICATED traveler!"
It is unlikely that that is exactly what I would say. Actually it isn't even close. .
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfar
Hermes
Originally Posted by cordelli
None of them.

Just like everybody who drives a certain car isn't a race car driver, or eats in a certain restaurant a gourmet cook, it just means they bought an item.
OTOH, hermes does let you design your own
Originally Posted by raph
LV certainly not
steamer trunk? vintage or bespoke.
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
bin sideways screams "amateur."
ive had to do that to get a B&R to fit
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:37 pm

Granted, a Vertu is a very sophisiicated mobile phone.

Unless you refer to it as your Handy, ( as do our cousins North of the frontier ) or have one covered in Swarovski stones. That and attempting to use airline luggage for yaching ( duffle bags always) would immediately remove you from the list for dashing sophisticants.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:02 pm

I can usually tell if the passengers are savvy fliers by looking at their feet. If they are wearing high heels or flip-flops, they are totally unprepared for an evacuation. There were 46 evacuations in 20 months (http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/safetystudies/SS0001.pdf), so an evacuation is always a possibility.

George
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by gnolly
I can usually tell if the passengers are savvy fliers by looking at their feet. If they are wearing high heels or flip-flops, they are totally unprepared for an evacuation. There were 46 evacuations in 20 months (http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/safetystudies/SS0001.pdf), so an evacuation is always a possibility.

George
I believe the proper denominator for discussions of evacuations is flights, not months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.