Search

Non-Medical Travel Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, United Silver
Non-Medical Travel Insurance

All,

Please forgive me is this has been answered before/elsewhere. I'm looking to purchase travel insurance for a vacation in August to Costa Rica. It's possible that I may change jobs before then, and if I do, I won't be traveling. Does anyone know of affordable travel insurance that lets you cancel for reasons that aren't medical, weather, etc.?

Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by fflier_9999
All,

Please forgive me is this has been answered before/elsewhere. I'm looking to purchase travel insurance for a vacation in August to Costa Rica. It's possible that I may change jobs before then, and if I do, I won't be traveling. Does anyone know of affordable travel insurance that lets you cancel for reasons that aren't medical, weather, etc.?

Thanks!
Don't recall specific companies offhand but there are policies available with "cancel for work reasons" and "cancel for any reason" coverage. If you check out Insuremytrip.com, you can filter results for various coverages like that.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the FT Travel Products Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 18, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I think Travelguard (http://www.travelguard.com) offers this (they offer protection if you become unemployed if you've been with the same job for 5 years), not sure which of the products since I buy the Platinum package as I want the primary care coverage.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by fflier_9999
All,

Thanks!
Many travel insurance policies offer the Cancel for Work Reasons benefit. Cancel for Work Reasons reimburses someone for prepaid, non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is canceled for specific unforeseen work related circumstances. Coverage can very from one policies to the next, so it’s important to read the fine print. Depending on the travel insurance policy, some will require the traveler to be employed with the same company for at least 1,3 or 5 years.

The following travel insurance providers offer policies with the Cancel for Work Reasons benefit: Global Alert, MH Ross, Travel Guard, Travelex and Travel Safe.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Every policy is a bit different in what they offer. You need to be very specific in your case, as some of the work related allowances are not for you taking a new job, but only if you get fired, laid off, etc.

Others will require you to provide notarized proof that you are required to work, which may not be something you can get easily (or are comfortable asking for) from a new position you just started.

Not saying it's not possible, but like all things travel related make sure you understand the terms and are actually getting the coverage for what you think you will need the coverage for.

It also depends on what state you live in if the company provides cancel for work reason coverage.

If you are looking at a site like insuremytrip.com, once you get the quotes you can click on coverage in the yellow narrow by bar at the top of the page and select cancel for work reasons to see if the plans they represent are available in your state, and what the coverage.

Insure my trip has a page listing the companies they link to that provide cancel for any reason benefits

http://www.insuremytrip.com/cfar.html?linkId=30040

again, check the coverage and the payment amounts, it may not always be 100%, and again it will change based on what state you live in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.