Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimowa Cabin Trolley Packing for "Big Guys"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status

I'm not petite. I'm 6'3", wear a 48L jacket and size 13 shoes. I fit, but just, into an economy minus center seat. Charitably, I'm described as having an "athletic" build.

I've put about 500K miles on my BR 22" and am perfectly comfortable with how to pack my large suit or sportcoat/slacks, a pair of running shoes and all of the other things necessary for a 3-5 day trip.

Unfortunately, my 13 year old gastrointestinally challenged cat just did unspeakable and unsalvageable things to my BR and I need to quickly buy either a replacement BR or something new.

I was considering a Rimowa cabin trolley (had not decided between the Topas and the Salsa) but I'm not sure how I would pack the bag, given the size and the lack of depth inherent in the clamshell design.

Would anyone be able to comment about how easily I would be able to pack into the Rimowa given my "full figured" stature?

Thanks,
Greg
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: QF CL
The layout of the Rimowas is either loved or hated, it seems. I am not of your height or stature but FWIW I have the Salsa Air IATA cabin trolley and I love the layout. For me it delivers just the right amount of functional organization when I pack the bag. I don't feel that the layout per se results in me being able to pack less than in my other bags. The way I use the compartments is to put my shoes, toiletries, accessories, gadgets, irregular shaped items etc into the bottom half and folded clothes in the top half. Would your running shoes fit? Test in the bag before purchase?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:01 pm

If the B&R worked well why not get the current or an even better model?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:51 pm

I am (your height and a 60 European/ 52 US jacket size) too. I just upgrade when possible or pay a little more for my seats. Welcome to the Club.

I've been using Rimowa for years: Europe, North America, Middle East, and South America. It can be done.

Of the two Rimowa options you mention, the Topas will give your packed items more protection. Although I've used Topas for many years, I have switched to the new Salsa Air "Ultra" model. Why ?

The carry-on has 4 roller wheels, and is the lightest of the group. ( The XXL checked 4 wheel case is easier to move than my older 2-wheel Topas case, but that is another story ). Easy to pack the Salsa, put in an overhead, and pull out or access, when needed. My experience is that mid-flight, the Salsa zipper is easier to open on the case than the Topas clasp-lock and half-shell. I try and project what I will need on each flight, and the needs for each trip (Business, personal, Winter, Fall, Summer ), and pack, and perhaps re-pack accordingly.

The newer nylon zip dividers are also easier to work with inside. Some prefer the tension mesh dividers, which are found in the Topas and better Rimowa cases. Having been there for many years, I'll take the minimalist approach of the zippered nylon.

In better economic times, one could rely on ample supplies of soap, shampoo, and even deodorant handed out along the travel route. No longer. I've learned NOT to rely on airlines, or hotels for disappointing (or non-existent) amenities, but take a minimal, but reasonable of what I like with me, including a small plastic bag of biodegradable laundry soap. This can all still be packed into a Salsa carry-on, without cutting corners, or drilling holes into my touthbrush to save weight.

It is full Winter weather here, and warm clothes are worn along the way. Layering undergarments can still be packed into the Salsa, with room remaining for a track suit, shoes, a swim suit and goggles. Even an IPAD or Laptop.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:20 am

A collateral comment, but as a very big runner with big feet, the best packing change I've ever made was by switching to vibram five-fingers, and their KSOs come in large sizes. Running shoes used to take half my weekend bag -- no more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.