Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Victorinox Werks Traveler 4.0 WT Ultra Light 20" Rollaboard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM

Has anyone had any experience with this:
Victorinox Werks Traveler 4.0 WT Ultra Light 20" rollaboard/carry-on?

Size: 20" x 15" x 7"
Weight: 6 lbs, 12 oz
http://www.ebags.com/product/victori...arry-on/211472

I want something that is not going to have problems fitting in overhead bins and questioned by the bag police. It is also very light. I don't want a something that is heavier than it has to be. And it is cheaper than Rimowa 20" Salsa, which my friend just got.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:49 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
no experience with that particular one, but for something similar you could try:
http://www.ebags.com/product/victori...uctid=10108870

at $129 looking pretty attractive -- and with a no conditions lifetime warranty.

It's a little bit thinner (less depth) than what I use -- I have the 22" NXT 5.0, and I just bought it 2 weeks ago and am loving it! It exactly fits in every bin I typically come across. The one above would definitely fit then.

Last edited by TA; Dec 15, 2011 at 7:55 pm
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
6 pounds 12 ounces is NOT ultra light.

On some airlines that is about half our the weight your are allowed for a carry on bag.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
6 pounds 12 ounces is NOT ultra light.

On some airlines that is about half our the weight your are allowed for a carry on bag.
Still, it's about the weight of most 20" polycarbonate bags, no?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by deirdre
My Rimowa Salsa Air cabin spinner weighs a bit less than that. It's about 5 pounds 3 ounces from memory.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by deirdre
Probably splitting hairs here but I also seem to recall a bunch of Samsonite 20" spinners in the 5 pound range. Pixel and Black labels I think.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Some 20" polycarbonates weigh more than 6 pounds 12 ounces. For a non-polycarbonate bag, this one is very light. I don't think it comes with a suiter, but I never use one. This Victorinox comes with a lifetime warranty including airline damage.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:41 pm

I have the Victorinox 4.0 22"

I have the Victorinox 22" 4.0 bag and I love it. It has Lifetime warranty and airline damage. Its really easy to roll and I love the built in suiter for suits.

Its a great buy in my opinion. BTW I got the black color.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danielonn
I have the Victorinox 22" 4.0 bag and I love it. It has Lifetime warranty and airline damage. Its really easy to roll and I love the built in suiter for suits.

Its a great buy in my opinion. BTW I got the black color.
I thought about the 22" but it looks just a little too big for int'l carry on restrictions.

Have you had to use the warranty?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Bronze, CX Green, Virgin Silver, Marriott Plat and Hilton Diamond
I have the 18" version.

One of the very few wheeled bags that comply with flybe rules (max length is 50cms with flybe). Separate pockets at front are ideal for a notebook in one and ipad in other. Cavernous main compartment holds much more than one would think. Only 2 wheels though and as main suitcases are now 4 wheeled marvels wish this bag had 4 wheels.

Handle head rotates but the locking mechanism broke within a couple of weeks. Downside is that in the UK you need to leave the bag at a stockist to send to Victorinox's repair centre. Good news was that the bag was returned to my home at no cost 4 days after I left it at the stockist.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hav2fly
Handle head rotates but the locking mechanism broke within a couple of weeks. Downside is that in the UK you need to leave the bag at a stockist to send to Victorinox's repair centre. Good news was that the bag was returned to my home at no cost 4 days after I left it at the stockist.
Thanks for your experience. The handle rotation looks a bit delicate so I'll probably leave it in the standard position most of the time.

The 20" bag is incredibly light for a non-Rimowa bag. Interior seems spacious enough. I wish it had a suiter for the price - a removable one would have been great. It is nice that it has two pockets on the outside though as you mentioned.

I am not sure about the single handle - it makes balancing a fully loaded laptop case on it that much more challenging. For that reason, it may be going back.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:01 am

12/2/12 ebags steal of the day for $109.99
http://www.ebags.com/product/victori...mjobid=2137299
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Question

Anyone had any experience with this bag? I'm thinking about getting it, but a little worried about the single-handle post, since I usually put my briefcase on top of the bag.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mules
12/2/12 ebags steal of the day for $109.99
http://www.ebags.com/product/victori...mjobid=2137299
Well, I have no auto control. I just ordered it. At this price point, I might as well try it and if it doesn't suit me, I can probably resell it for the same price.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by mbece
Anyone had any experience with this bag? I'm thinking about getting it, but a little worried about the single-handle post, since I usually put my briefcase on top of the bag.
Received a 24" version and in fairness it lasted longer than the other Victorinox bags I've owned.

My take:
-The handle would be a dealbreaker for me if it weren't a gift. You cant sit the laptop case on top so it becomes wasted space. You'll have to hang over the back.
-It's a pain in the butt to navigate. There's a lot of looseness and vibration in the handle. The rolling was not smooth and eventually would flip over mid-walk since the single handle didn't add any stability. With a laptop strapped to the back, it made a mess. This was frequent enough that I ended up just carrying the laptop before I pulled it from normal rotation.
-Since it's a higher end line, the rest of the bag was noticeably better construction than other Victorinox bags I've owned. Nylon is thicker and I didn't have any tears. It's not waterproof in practice though. Wheels were fine.
-Handle inside takes a ton of packing space.
-Rarely had issues putting it in the overhead sideways.

Others have had better experiences but warranty has been useless in my experience. Since it was 24", I rarely used it for frequent travel. The handle eventually stuck down and could not be extended. Going through their store in SoHo, authorized retailer, and over the phone for warranty claim was useless. Excuses/solutions ranged from:
-The handle breaking was part of normal wear and tear so not covered.
-No way to determine if the handle malfunctioning was a defect of theirs or an airline.
-I didn't have the purchase receipt.
-They would be on sale soon and I could buy a new one.
-I could ship it back at my expense and they would look. They would see if it's covered and if not I had a choice of paying for repairs or paying to ship it back.

I tried Twitter as a last ditch effort and got a useless and somewhat condescending response. It's at Goodwill now, so someone can try their luck with the warranty there if they'd like. Anyways, that's just my experience and I've sworn them off for anything other than accessory items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.