Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

"Bundle packing" - what to use for the core!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hi all,

I just bought a Red Oxx Airboss, which I'm looking forward to on my next trip.

I want to try the 'bundle packing' method I read about on Onebag.com, but strangely, I'm having trouble finding something to buy to use as the core of my bundles!

I know you can use some underwear or similar clothing as a bundle, but I'd like to follow the strict method of some kind of pouch (approx 11" by 16", 30cm by 40cm) as the core.

Does anyone have any reasonably priced suggestions please? (available to purchase in the UK would be even better)

Thanks in advance,

hbc
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by hbc9999:17483982
Hi all,

I just bought a Red Oxx Airboss, which I'm looking forward to on my next trip.

I want to try the 'bundle packing' method I read about on Onebag.com, but strangely, I'm having trouble finding something to buy to use as the core of my bundles!

I know you can use some underwear or similar clothing as a bundle, but I'd like to follow the strict method of some kind of pouch (approx 11" by 16", 30cm by 40cm) as the core.

Does anyone have any reasonably priced suggestions please? (available to purchase in the UK would be even better)

Thanks in advance,

hbc
Never used them, but ebags now sell their packing cubes on amazon.co.uk, and I also think that John Lewis sell some (but I'm not 100% certain of that)
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks - yes I know about the packing cubes.

I just seem to be having trouble finding cubes or pouches that are the correct size (not too thick!), that don't cost a fortune!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
How thick do you need? If you're strictly after a pouch then you might consider a laundry net with a sheet of card slipped in.

You can definitely get laundry nets at John Lewis (and very widely available elsewhere).
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Congratulations on getting your Air Boss!

As the Air Boss is way too big for my needs (borrowed one and found that out) I can only say what the guys I travel with do.

They use an Eagle Creek packing folder for shirts as the core. There are many me-too brands of this item. http://www.eaglecreek.com/packing_so...cking_folders/

They send their shirts out to be done and have them folded.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: Once nearly a somebody, now a nobody with United and Marriott
A 2.5 gallon zip-lock Hefty bag of small clothing items, with the air squeezed out, works well for me ...
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Air-Kayaker (former United MP)
Originally Posted by FliesCasually
A 2.5 gallon zip-lock Hefty bag of small clothing items, with the air squeezed out, works well for me ...
goodness...I've never tried it but this bundle method just seems like a lot of extra work -- having to button everything, 'pre-packing'...i just use a travelpro 22" with the zipper/fold-over internal attachment for hung items (slacks, suit, etc)...nothing comes out wrinkled. As for shirts, i am convinced dress shirts are going to get wrinkled no matter what i do...to me there is just no comparison to a freshly ironed or pressed shirt regardless of how it is packed. I also feel like the ironing helps get rid of the 'been in a bag' smell...so an iron works great and one less thing to pack.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:38 am

Ditto on the zip-lock

Originally Posted by FliesCasually
+1

This is what I do too.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: Skymiles, United, Continental, JBlU, USair, AA
Originally Posted by WhiteOut
goodness...I've never tried it but this bundle method just seems like a lot of extra work -- having to button everything, 'pre-packing'...i just use a travelpro 22" with the zipper/fold-over internal attachment for hung items (slacks, suit, etc)...nothing comes out wrinkled. As for shirts, i am convinced dress shirts are going to get wrinkled no matter what i do...to me there is just no comparison to a freshly ironed or pressed shirt regardless of how it is packed. I also feel like the ironing helps get rid of the 'been in a bag' smell...so an iron works great and one less thing to pack.
If your bag smells then you have other problems. If your current method of packing fits everything you need, isn't too heavy, and you don't have wrinkles, then there is no reason to change.

I only use bundle packing when I am trying to maximize my space in a single bag (usually longer leisure intl trips)
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I don't see why you MUST use a pouch. Dyment isn't super strict on that, and neither should you. I just fold clothes/underwear that I don't care about getting smashed into a nice, tight bunch and use that as my bundle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.