Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on a soft shell for winter travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

In my never ending quest to travel with lighter, more flexible items I'm looking to winter travel wear. I was thinking of a soft shell for a lightweight, warm and waterproof coat. I have fleeces and a heavy parka but the parka is big for travel and the fleeces aren't waterproof. I tried using a fleece and a waterproof and very light shell last winter and that worked pretty well but I'm considering whether I can replace both with one soft shell.

I very recently got a light soft shell as a corporate promo. It is an LL Bean Pathfinder. It is nice but I don't think it will be comfortable into the lower temperatures. So I was looking at a lined soft shell such as the Bigelow from LL Bean or a heavy soft shell such as an M1 soft shell from Marmot. Anyone have any experience with these or other ways to deal with cold weather, and multi climate travel? Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
My husband has a Columbia Bugaboo parka which is a two-piece set consisting of heavy fleece zip jacket plus medium-weight waterproof shell. He uses this set year around. We bought it a couple of years ago at the Columbia outlet just north of PHX. Price was about $70, an incredible bargain.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I swear by my North Face Apex Bionic jacket (have three different colors). Perfect for rain and cool temps down to about 50 degrees. If colder then I bring an REI Spruce Jacket which is thin enough that can layer inside the North Face jacket. I usually compress the Spruce jacket in a vacuum bag taking up minimal space in the bag. For additional warmth in addition to the two garments above, I wear a long sleeved Under Armour Cold Gear shirt.

Have multiple sets ready for my MRs in the winter months .
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:28 am

Don't even bother. Two pieces are more versatile than one especially when it comes to changing weather and climates, or even just a chilly airplane cabin or lecture hall/ seminar room/ library where you cannot control the temperature. you want to sit there with your hooded soft shell? I'd rather just throw on my fleece jacket.

Weight saving will be minimal and space savings inconsequential unless your current fleece is a heavy Patagonia R4. That said, if you don't mind the price and the Yeti looks, I think the R4 is one of the best out there. It is wind and water-proof and super warm. Some say, they have worn it with a t-shirt at 32F. Then simply add a hat and your good.

There are some very nice high-tech watchcap style bonnets or some equally high-tech LoroPiano Stormfabric baseball caps, if you want something casual to go with the fleece.

Till
Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
You might not get it in the US, as I don't think the brand travels much, but I have a Berghaus Choktoi windproof fleece/soft-shell-ish thing. I really like it - I find it regulates my body temperature perfectly. It not being properly waterproof is the only real disadvantage to me.

Neil
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: *G
a fleece vest with a soft shell can hold me down to 30*F no problem. and either are perfectly by themselves for 50-55*F protection. (though this is a personal thing)

though if you want high warmth density, cant beat a DOWN coat
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:13 am

I use a jacket of schoeller (or schoeller like) fabric. Fairly rain/wind resistance. Couple that with a thin fleece I can handle pretty cold.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:25 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
A few years ago, totally without any planning on a 4th of July sale at their outlet, I bought a two piece deal from Eddie Bauer with a fleece lining and a waterproof shell. All I wanted was a waterproof jacket, but this was significantly less money at 80% off than just buying a waterproof jacket

You can wear just the fleece when you just want the fleece
You can wear just the shell if you want a waterproof jacket and it's not that cold out, with or without the hood depending if it's raining or not
You zip the two together when it's really cold, or you want to be warm and dry in snow and rain.

It's become my favorite jacket and unless it's really really cold out.

Unless you are always someplace where you know day to day what you will need, I think you are better with a modular solution, it takes up no more space than a single use winter coat would.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
One of my favorite all season gear is from LL Bean, their Storm Chaser 3-in-1 parka system, nylon (non-Goretex) waterproof, windproof with 5 zippered pockets (places to stash many small gadgets) plus a med weight, breathable, soft fleece liner that unzip as a standalone in warmer weather / in-flight. It's rated down to 20 degree F and ideal for NY winter with its attached concealed hood, except for extreme brutal days. It's gone on Alaska cruises - and great as we do mostly carryons + laptop/backback and the 3-in-1. Used the nylon shell as a throw blanket in a pinch and the fleece jacket rolled up into a flannel tote case as a pillow for naps. It's truely a versatile modular system that easily adapt - and without that "loud" logo.

Picked it up on a winter clearence sale 4 years ago for around $85 with free shipping (2XLT) and LLB has an excellent warranty - it's not listed in the catalog now, only the shorter jacket version. A new LLB retail store is opening up in Paramus, NJ this month so worth a trip (if available) to check it in person. Cabela's has nice ones too. It's dressy enough to wear daily with blazer or sport jacket, shirt & tie, etc. except to senior management meeting ....
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Just picked up a Marmot softshell at Marshall's for $79 -- really great wind protection and good warmth. If you've got a Marshall's near you, you might want to check if they're stocking it.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Just picked up a Marmot softshell at Marshall's for $79 -- really great wind protection and good warmth. If you've got a Marshall's near you, you might want to check if they're stocking it.
Thanks, which model and how cold have you tried it in?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
I own a lot of different softshells. It's interesting because people use one word - softshell - but really there are a ton of different variations on the theme, and they all excel in different areas. Some are more waterproof than others, some breathe better, some are insulated, some are stretchy, etc - you can get pretty much any combination. The particular softshell material (eg, Polartec Powershield) can change a lot of the characteristics. I ski a lot and have found backcountry.com to have excellent info on the technical characteristics of each jacket they sell.

I looked at the LL Bean Pathfinder and unfortunately didn't see what material it was really made from. It looks like it has a light fleece lining and is not truly waterproof. Meaning, it will be fine walking out to the car but not standing in the rain - it will eventually soak in. This, though, is my favorite kind of softshell because it is very breathable and not as stiff as the kinds that are more waterproof. You can improve the waterproofing of any softshell though with Nikwax SoftShell Proof. In the most similar softshell I own, I'm comfortable down to say 25 F for about-town and 18 F for skiing, with wind less than 15 mph.

I personally like a fleece and separate waterproof raincoat for winter airline travel. I leave the raincoat packed in its travel pouch (it packs up very tiny), and the fleece I wear to the airport. I like the fleece because it's 100 times better than an airline blanket on cold flights, and if it is warm on the plane I can bunch it up and use it as a very comfortable pillow - softshells just don't feel anywhere near as nice when used as a pillow. If it's winter outside, the combination of fleece plus raincoat works great - and I'm set for both Florida rain and Chicago snow in the same trip.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 4:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
replace the fleece with something in down like the patagonia down sweater. much lighter, more compressible and warmer. use the shell in case it rains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.