Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Evacuation Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
Medical Evacuation Insurance

Going on a Med cruise next year. Wife and I are in good condition but stuff happens and I would hate to get stuck. We have trip insurance but that doesn't cover medical evacuation. Is it worth it? Who sells good policies?
MartinCNeidig and davidnconte like this.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
AFAIK, my medical travel insurance includes travel out of the country if in a medical emergency.. to obtain medical treatment..

I think some travel insurance will offer this, just research the different policies to see if you can get one included..
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Products Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:35 pm

InsureMyTrip.com is a good place to start.

All sorts of plans, packages, and carriers to choose from.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Is it worth it?

If you pay for it and don't use it, no it was not worth it.

If you have it and need to use it, yes it's worth it.

You should easily find travel insurance that includes it.

However, you need to make sure you are getting coverage for what you think you are getting coverage for. If you want a plan that will fly you home if you stub your toe make sure the coverage what you expect.

Some will have a dollar limit, some will require they approve it first, and some will only transport you to the nearest facility they deep appropriate to treat you.

There are others that of course are way more generous.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Dresden
Going on a Med cruise next year. Wife and I are in good condition but stuff happens and I would hate to get stuck. We have trip insurance but that doesn't cover medical evacuation. Is it worth it? Who sells good policies?
That's what a buddy of mine said 2 years ago..until his wife got ill on the cruise, sent to a Greek hospital out of the Victoria era. The cost of getting her back from Greece to Canada was all covered by his credit card insurance. Let's just say this--without that insurance he would be a pauper.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
Is it worth it?

If you pay for it and don't use it, no it was not worth it.

If you have it and need to use it, yes it's worth it.

You should easily find travel insurance that includes it.

However, you need to make sure you are getting coverage for what you think you are getting coverage for. If you want a plan that will fly you home if you stub your toe make sure the coverage what you expect.

Some will have a dollar limit, some will require they approve it first, and some will only transport you to the nearest facility they deep appropriate to treat you.

There are others that of course are way more generous.
Originally Posted by mapleg
That's what a buddy of mine said 2 years ago..until his wife got ill on the cruise, sent to a Greek hospital out of the Victoria era. The cost of getting her back from Greece to Canada was all covered by his credit card insurance. Let's just say this--without that insurance he would be a pauper.
jmho.. It's definitely worth it to have the medical evacation feature on the medical travel insurance.. The variable cost is negligible compared to not being covered.. as demonstrated by mapleg.. Not worth it to save a few bucks..

Usually we purchase our Medical Travel Insurance through AAA/CAA.. The packages are pretty comprehensive.. On top of doubling up on cc medical insurance through Aeroplat, and Infinite Visa (whichever is applicable to the booking).. Most travel medical insurance has the medical evacuation inclusion..

Definitely doesn't hurt to inquire about the inclusions.. and make sure that the medical travel insurance you're purchasing will meet your concerns and requirements..
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Dresden
Try becoming a member of Diver's Alert Network. Membership has always included medical evacuation if you are beyond 50 miles from home. $35 for individual membership, $55 for family. I have heard good things about the evacuation coverage.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/?a=ind

DAN TravelAssist®

As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving medical emergencies. Evacuation coverage begins when you travel on a trip at least 50 miles (80 km) from home and call the DAN Emergency Hotline (+1-919-684-9111) for assistance or evacuation.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:19 am
Suspended

I usually use Globelink travel insurance in my trips. Their policies include cover for Repatriation to your home country within the European Union if medically necessary.
emikoaflores likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
One thing worth considering: Evacuation costs can shoot up really quickly if you are unable to be flown commercially and/or need assistance from medical professionals during the flight. 100K might get you home trouble-free if you live in the US and are travelling in Mexico or Canada, but if you're farther away from home and develop a complication that necessitates an immediate evacuation, you can be in the 500K to 600K territory really quickly. I wouldn't go below USD 1 million in coverage and personally have a policy that pays up to USD 2 million for med evacs.

If things really go south, you could end up being saddled with a debt you won't be able to repay for the rest of your life if the coverage isn't high enough.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
I have used (and been very happy with) MedJet Assist for coverage for repatriation/medevac. Anywhere >150 mi from home you are covered to be returned home (or hospital of your choice) for a medical event. Be sure you read fine print though. MedJet doesn't cover medical expenses, just getting you to where you need to go. Others may cover medical expenses but require you to stay at a facility that they deem "acceptable" though you may not find it acceptable at all. There is a very wide variety of scope and price and it is important to know what you're paying for.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tnmlyger
One thing worth considering: Evacuation costs can shoot up really quickly if you are unable to be flown commercially and/or need assistance from medical professionals during the flight. 100K might get you home trouble-free if you live in the US and are travelling in Mexico or Canada, but if you're farther away from home and develop a complication that necessitates an immediate evacuation, you can be in the 500K to 600K territory really quickly. I wouldn't go below USD 1 million in coverage and personally have a policy that pays up to USD 2 million for med evacs.

If things really go south, you could end up being saddled with a debt you won't be able to repay for the rest of your life if the coverage isn't high enough.
Amazing to consider how much travel costs shoot up when flying a private plane or jet..

For a 100K, a lot can be done with it.. 500K to 600K seems like flying to the moon territory to me. But in a medical emergency, its necessary.:-:
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Originally Posted by elf618
I have used (and been very happy with) MedJet Assist for coverage for repatriation/medevac. Anywhere >150 mi from home you are covered to be returned home (or hospital of your choice) for a medical event. Be sure you read fine print though. MedJet doesn't cover medical expenses, just getting you to where you need to go. Others may cover medical expenses but require you to stay at a facility that they deem "acceptable" though you may not find it acceptable at all. There is a very wide variety of scope and price and it is important to know what you're paying for.
I also pay for MedJet Assist, and I'm happy that I have never needed to use their services.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Just got my travel insurance from AAA using Access America for my trip to the EU.. $97 for $50,000 medical & dental + $1,000,000 emergency medical transportation.

Not too bad!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by General_Flyer
Just got my travel insurance from AAA using Access America for my trip to the EU.. $97 for $50,000 medical & dental + $1,000,000 emergency medical transportation.

Not too bad!
Generally the medical insurance isn't too bad because theres lots of competition.. We paid $130 per adult roughly plus a bit of premium for kids.. for a 30 day medical travel package..

imo.. would be little cost savings to forgo medical evacuation.. so definitely opt for it if you can, or shop around until you get a package that has the medical evacuation for a reasonable premium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.