Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Shipping Rimowa from FR to US. Duty imposed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Apologies in advance if this has been previously asked. I scoured the search feature pretty extensively before posting. Been lurking the forums for a long time, but I am essentially new around here. So thanks for any help anyone can give me.

I plan on taking advantage of EU pricing and buying a Rimowa topas from Koffer, and having it shipped to my friend in FRA. She then plans on shipping it to me in the US. I acknowledge that doing it this way, I'll still incur the VAT hit, but that still makes it cheaper than US pricing. My concern, which even after searching the US Customs website (zero help). Is will I have to by US duty on it to get it through customs. I've read that there's exemptions for items priced under $800. But I've also read that all items coming from FR, GE, and other EU countries is that there is a 100% duty imposed.

Has anyone dealt with this similar scenario? Obviously if I'm taking a VAT and with the ridiculous US duty, it would end up being much much more than US pricing.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Will that really save you enough to cover the shipping cost?
bulbmogul likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Unless the estimates I've seen are wrong. Shipping should only cost about 50 euros. Which still puts it well under US pricing.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:06 am

As of 2016, packages valued under 800 USD enter the US duty-free. https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...-increases-800

Packages over 800 USD are dutiable on the entire value of the shipment. I'm not sure where you got the idea that items from Europe are subject to 100% duty, because they're not.

Your method works, but I'm surprised you can't find a grey-market seller willing to ship directly to the US so you can also avoid 19% German VAT.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
As of 2016, packages valued under 800 USD enter the US duty-free. REMOVED BECAUSE I CANT QUOTE ANYTHING WITH LINKS

Packages over 800 USD are dutiable on the entire value of the shipment. I'm not sure where you got the idea that items from Europe are subject to 100% duty, because they're not.

Your method works, but I'm surprised you can't find a grey-market seller willing to ship directly to the US so you can also avoid 19% German VAT.
There was a small subsection on a CBP FAQ page that listed France, Germany, and one other country I can think of off the top of my head as have 100% duty. It wasn't the entire EU.

I've tried several websites and when I get to the shipping website, they all stop the purchase by stating they can't ship that item to my country. I'd love to find one that actually works that way I could bypass all of this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by BobSacamano
There was a small subsection on a CBP FAQ page that listed France, Germany, and one other country I can think of off the top of my head as have 100% duty.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...toms-duty-info
Items from Certain Countries
Under what is known as its "301" authority, the United States may impose a much higher than normal duty rate on products from certain countries. Currently, the United States has imposed a 100 percent rate of duty on certain products of Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, The Federal Republic of Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the Ukraine. If you should bring more of any of these products back with you than fall within your exemption or flat rate of duty, (see below) you will pay as much in duty as you paid for the product or products.

While most of the products listed are not the type of goods that travelers would purchase in sufficient quantities to exceed their exemption, diamonds from the Ukraine are subject to the 100 percent duty and might easily exceed the exemption amount.

For information on countries that may become subject to a higher than normal duty rate, check the Department of Commerce Web site.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:47 am

The current 301 duties against the EU are retaliation authorized by the hormone beef cases that the EU has continued to lose at the WTO. They don't cover luggage, though--most of the products that get hit are food. More 301 duties are probably coming as the Airbus case draws to a close; those don't currently include luggage, but the list is long and not finalized yet.

Plus, with very few exceptions that don't apply here, any shipment under 800 USD is free of duty anyway.

CBP's statement that "most of the products listed are not the type of goods that travelers would purchase in sufficient quantities to exceed their exemption" appears to be pretty accurate.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I tried searching and was unable to find the list of goods covered under that 301 authorization.....
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I tried searching and was unable to find the list of goods covered under that 301 authorization.....
Yeah, as soon as you get past the most basic of situations for travelers or Americans buying stuff from abroad online, CBP's ability and willingness to provide info falls off a cliff. It's not entirely their fault, since there are so many different agencies involved once it gets complicated. But it's still annoying. I actually had to find the Federal Register notices to get the list of products.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
What is the Rimowa product you are buying? If it is plastic, or even a non-special edition metal line, there is a better than average chance it is made in Canada. In that case, NAFTA (or whatever we're doing now) rules apply.

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Yeah, as soon as you get past the most basic of situations for travelers or Americans buying stuff from abroad online, CBP's ability and willingness to provide info falls off a cliff. It's not entirely their fault, since there are so many different agencies involved once it gets complicated. But it's still annoying. I actually had to find the Federal Register notices to get the list of products.
It is entirely their fault. They keep things intentionally opaque to be able to harass people who are doing nothing wrong. Hence the "food" question on customs forms - it is actually a relatively limited area of food that needs to be declared by law, and even less that one would have to surrender, and that is all spelled out by law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.