Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Personal item" carry on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

"Personal item" carry on

When I business travel - nearly all of which are long distance since I am in Oz - I check a medium suitcase and have a B&R KR306X wheeled brief as carry on which is just great - I love it!

But I also usually like to have a VERY lightweight and foldable bag so that I can 'decant' myself in to it at Security - just put all my pens, phone, coins and even my jacket in it. Also useful for adding random bits throughout the journey.

I have been using a couple of versions of canvas bags for this latter purpose but something a bit more structured with internal pockets could be useful - PROVIDED it is foldable, very lightweight etc and I must also be able to shoulder-carry it hence the long-handled canvas type bags have been good. I think it needs to remain in the 'personal-item' category and I have considered a lightweight backpack.

Any thoughts from the experts here - with links?

Last edited by bagobsessive; Sep 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm Reason: clarity
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I have this B&R Baseline Shopping Tote. I love that it has the usual B&R ability to slip over the handle of a roller bag. I also like the lockable zipper in case I have to use it as an extra checked bag (which I've done many times on return trips, usually stuffed full of laundry). These days, I either stuff it into my carry-on (it's foldable, or takes little room flat) or pack it in my checked luggage as a back-up bag. Once I get through security, I've never had anybody question having the second bag, but I usually can fit my handbag in either the carry-on or this tote, as well (so as not to be a bin hog).

Years ago, it was my primary carry-on. For that purpose, I wish the straps were padded (the reason I stopped using it as my only carry-on). Other than that one small issue, I really do love this bag, and find myself using it for non-travel, too.

Note, however, that the one major drawback to this bag is its weight. At 1kg, it ay well be too heavy for your planned usage. If that's the case, then I'd take a look at the smaller Transcend Tote, which is a bit larger dimensionally, but comes in at only a bit over a half kilo.

Good luck with your search! There are probably other non-B&R bags that would work, too, but we're B&R junkies, so... yeah...

~mrs

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Sep 13, 2011 at 7:35 pm Reason: spelling, clarification
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:10 am

Perhaps one of the "Pliable" bags from Longchamps. Coated nylon, entirely pliable, leather accents. Exist in a very masculine grey and other colors. Most of them don't have a lot of organisation features, though.

I also own an Eastpak Madison. Fabulous little bag. It offers many pockets that are directly accessible from the outside. It fits a sweater or a very light jacket. It will not fit my travel anorak. Otherwise it can hold a small camera (Canon G9), a GPS, phone, passport, maps, Ipod, pocket knife, wallet, tissues and whatever else you need at hand. I cannot give you the exact weight now but I'd say it's in the 300g range and has a volume of roughly 8-10l.

Till
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:25 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
+1 on Till's recommendation of the Eastpak Madison.

However, if you're looking for something just for the Security Checkpoint, I would recommend Sea to Summit Travelling Light Series. Strangely their Australian page does not show the Duffel, Day Pack or Sling Bag I would be recommending (because they have zippers). However, their Shopping Bag (zipperless) is made from the same waterproof Ultra-sil material, folds down to nothing and weighs only 50-grams (less than 3-oz).

They have them in more subdued colours now so the bags don't scream "camping". I have the pack and a few of their shopping bags in my carry-on and use them regularly throughout the flight for keeping my jacket clean and from flopping about. However, there are no organizing features inside these bags and they are completely unstructured.

For something with a bit more structure and organization but still tote-like, try looking at Ellington Amelia Convertible Tote/Pack approx 700g (black is unisex), Travelon Stowaway Backpack/tote 454g (lightweight, unstructured, but with 4 external pockets).
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I'd second the idea of an Eastpak bag. I travel with a Reminder most of the time. If I fly a "one bag" airline, I simply pack the bag flat in my case and pull it out and fill when I get to my destination.

Eastpak are well made with a good 30 yr warranty.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
We went over sizes in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...underseat.html
Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for suggestions - and especially to tcl.

The Ellington Amelia looks good - not too big and with a bit of structure but still easily 'flattenable' and big enough to decant myself, including jacket, into at security but also usable as a backpack which I mostly need when I get there.

Luggage Pros will ship it to Oz (not cheaply of course) - do the experts here have any other potential suppliers?

Originally Posted by tcl
For something with a bit more structure and organization but still tote-like, try looking at Ellington Amelia Convertible Tote/Pack approx 700g (black is unisex).
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:06 pm

sierra trading post

has some of them at a discount. Not sure if they will ship to OZ but you can check there.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:03 am

Programs: SPG PLT
I'm considering the Rimowa Bolero Flight bag as my personal bag, but can't seem to find any reviews of it anywhere.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by srt8-blue
I'm considering the Rimowa Bolero Flight bag as my personal bag, but can't seem to find any reviews of it anywhere.
My first comment on this would be, ugly, ugly, ugly. I think all the Bolero range, with the coloured polycarbonate and the black nylon front are terrible-looking.

I would much prefer a normal polycarbonate rimowa and some other non-matching "personal item".
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:01 am

You might also consider the Rick Steves Civita Daypack. It has two exterior pockets (one large, one small) and a roomy central compartment, is very lightweight, and scrunches up into a very small size.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
My first comment on this would be, ugly, ugly, ugly. I think all the Bolero range, with the coloured polycarbonate and the black nylon front are terrible-looking.

I would much prefer a normal polycarbonate rimowa and some other non-matching "personal item".
You get your wish, as the Bolero line is no longer being made. Very practical Notebook attache model, with endless pocket spaces inside, and it was engineered match and to fit snugly over the handles of any of the double extension handles in the Rimowa line.

I have a Rimowa LH model which matches my Salsa Sportstrunk. That unit alone will devour pens, flashlights, sunglasses, CD/DVD, books, laptops, many IPADS, a travel jacket, Mp3, and more. I took it last year with 25 collated business reports, plus everything listed above. It remains my main business luggage for air travel, and I will purchase another when I find one.

Il Civita (Rick Steeves) is a good light bag on it's own. combined with other luggage is a different story. I've met a number of Americans, including Rick Steeves and his wife, in and around Como, Varenna, and Lugano who swear by them for travelling light.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:37 pm

I carry a $40 Swissgear backpack I got from Sam's Club about 18 months ago. I've been through dozens of checkpoints, and it's always easy and fits under the seat. It has a pocket for my laptop that unzips and folds open so I can go through without removing the computer, and room for all my misc. small stuff I carry around (Nook, cell phone, wallet, passport, book, keys, etc.). I use it every day and it still looks as new as day one. Just got another one for my wife in a different color.

Between that and my TPro Crew8 20" I'm good for a week.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:42 pm

I vastly prefer the Tumi Alpha Medium Travel Tote (22101DH) to anything else I have tried for personal carryon. It's orientation is vertical, so it leaves space on each side for feet or shoes, and it's just the right height to not slide too far under the seat in front. It has no flaps to deal with (all zippers), the organization is spot on; with a large main compartment fitting 2 water bottles in addition to a sweater or a not too huge coat and an Ipad, Kindle, netbook or small laptop; a pocket within a pocket for valuables; an "add-a-bag" feature allowing it to slip onto rolling luggage handles; a rear magazine pocket that even works while using the add-a-bag; and even a handle that works equally well whether the bag is open or closed, unlike those darned flap thingies. I could go on.

All in all, by far the most well thought out under seat companion I have ever used or seen. Even the Tom Bihn Copilot is too wide and not deep enough, while almost everything else similar, has silly flaps that end up floating all over the airplane floor.

Last edited by stuki; Sep 23, 2011 at 6:51 pm
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by bagobsessive
Thanks to all for suggestions - and especially to tcl.

The Ellington Amelia looks good - not too big and with a bit of structure but still easily 'flattenable' and big enough to decant myself, including jacket, into at security but also usable as a backpack which I mostly need when I get there.

Luggage Pros will ship it to Oz (not cheaply of course) - do the experts here have any other potential suppliers?
The Ellington Amelia is available much cheaper at Sierra Trading Post. I returned it, though, because it was just too travel geeky for me. Instead I am happy with the Baggalini A La Carte, a larger size tote suitable for travel and for everyday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.