Rimowa Silver Integral Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP

When I was in Singapore 7 weeks ago, I bought a Silver Integral with a capacity of ~3 cubic ft. By the time I got to Hong Kong a few days later, it had already received a few ugly dents and scrapes, but nothing too serious.

I've just returned to YYZ from a few days in NRT. My case now looks like this. This large dent is close to one of the TSA locks, and the bag will no longer close properly.

I would have been happy with the case acquiring battle scars, but to have received this much damage after 7 weeks and 30K miles is very disappointing. I've had Samsonite and Delsey hardshells last me for several years of heavy travelling before they had to be retired.

The Rimowa will go to a dealer for repair tomorrow, but I think I'll return to thermoplastic hardshells for future long haul trips.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
And that's precisely why I've never bought an alloy suitcase, they get beat up real quick, just not worth the money IMO.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:58 pm

Yes, they look great in the showroom and catalogues. But the reality is they dent, ding, and get damaged.

If this was checked through I would suggest you contact the airline about the damage. I experienced an early Rimowa polycarbonate model with Lufthansa being severly damaged, and LH, to it's credit offered a full refund, or my choice of any of LH luggage models. I chose the reimbursement, and then bought a XXL Silver Integral on sale at Kaufhof department store in Frankfurt.

I do not care what the outside looks like (unless it were holed through with a forklift), as it is more important that the packed contents inside arrive intact.

I just took a Beosound 1 stereo to Brasil packed inside, and it arrived safely and now works perfectly there. This Rimowa case is well dented now, but still going strong after a decade or two.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer, Continental OnePass
Sorry for the delayed response. Just came across this thread.

This type of stuff happens to me. I've been diligent in inspecting the suitcase after long flights, and in the most serious cases and if convenience allows, I will file a claim with the airline while at the destination airport. This is usually not convenient, and I will "consolidate" issues with a trip flying back to my home airport (and preferably from a business class flight), where I can give up the luggage for the week to fix the dents.

Rimowa stores can also arrange for periodic dent fixes at a fee. Taipei stores will fix dents for free from suitcases bought within Taiwan, and charge a modest (US$30) fee for those bought outside and I suppose, off warranty.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Update

Well, the case is back in the repair shop after a recent trip to LHR resulted in a warped frame, preventing proper closure, and shearing off one of the locks.

I'm not sure whether these aluminium cases aren't very robust, or if they just attract a lot of negative attention from baggage handlers. It's fortunate that the worst damage requiring repair has happened on the return legs of my trips. So I've replaced the case with a Limbo, and I'll save the Silver Integral for road or rail journeys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.