Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What would you choose: a discounted TUMI or a full price Briggs & Riley?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Letīs say they offer you 2 carry-on suitcases:

a TUMI ALPHA
a Briggs & Riley (similar line, same size)

You would pay exactly the same for each. Which one would you choose to own and why?

Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:51 am

B&R because of the warranty.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by edj3
B&R because of the warranty.
Yea. Not even close. I would pay a lot more for B&R.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond
Two factors if it was my decision:

1.) The size. You identified it as a carry-on. Is is an 18 or 20"" or something larger up to 22"?
2.) Somewhat less important, Personal preference.

Aesthetically, I prefer Tumi. It's a personal preference and nothing else. I own both brands, a 20" Tumi which I have owned for 2 years and have had to gate check two or three times and it looks brand new as well as a 22" B&R I've had for 1.5 years which has been checked multiple times and while somewhat ratty looking, I don't worry if it gets trashed or broken because of the warranty.

Assess your travel. If it's a 22", If you fly a lot of RJ's or board towards the end of the process when the bins are full and may be forced to check, I'd think about the B&R. If we're talking about a 18"-20", you fly almost exclusively mainline jets, or have priority boarding then I think you pick whichever one you like best.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Go for the Warranty.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tumi - for better IMO styling but obviously that's a matter of personal preference.

Warranty issue seems overblown for most - several years down the road I'll probably buy a new piece and both brands are solid enough to last several years of reasonable travel.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
Tumi - for better IMO styling but obviously that's a matter of personal preference.

Warranty issue seems overblown for most - several years down the road I'll probably buy a new piece and both brands are solid enough to last several years of reasonable travel.
Bolding mine. The BR warranty is for life, no exception. I won't need to replace my bag several years down the road . . . or at least not at my own expense.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
If it's a roller bag, definitely BR because of warranty. If it's a carry bag then depends on the function of the bag.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
If the plan is to replace it after several years of use, than way waste the money on a high end brand? Any of the mass market luggage will cost a fraction of these bags and be just as good.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
If the plan is to replace it after several years of use, than way waste the money on a high end brand? Any of the mass market luggage will cost a fraction of these bags and be just as good.
I occasionally see old beaten up Tumis (and other bags) that look like they fell off some homeless' cart. Not a pretty sight so i don't see a point in making them last as much as possible just because lifetime warranty exists and bags still function (with or without repair).

If we were to buy based on warranty then Costco's Kirkland should be the top choice - 1/3 of B&R prices with lifetime warranty.

I like Tumi in general but I would never buy it at retail prices - all my pieces are from Costco, outlet, Nordstrom Rack etc (on average 50% off) making it more competitive with generic brands.

Whether it's worth buying Tumi or B&R vs more generic Samsonites, Delseys etc IMO is more in the realm of buying Chevy vs Benz or buying clothes from Walmart vs Neiman Marcus or getting $100 vs $1000 suit or booking coach vs business. You get an incremental improvement in features and style but at a much higher price - just decide what's important to you in a particular area. For checked bags if needed I use Travelpro and Delsey as I see no need for premium brand's styling and features there.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:19 pm

B&R!

The TUMI Alpha is great stuff - but even so, B&R for me by a long shot and I like gadgetfreak would pay more for B&R.

I am comparing the TUMI Alpha with, say the B&R KR306X.

Finish on B&R is better, features, organization and flexibility are unsurpassed and great durability. And apart from the warranty issue, which I agree is maybe overplayed, B&R has the option for shoulder carry since it comes with D-rings (and a shoulder strap). TUMI cannot be shoulder-carried since they don't have D-rings. Shoulder carry is not a big issue for this style of bag, but I have found I REALLY want it in those few situations where I need it!

And while you are are making comparisons in this highly selective 'business computer bag' category, I would put the Victorinox Rolling Trevi in the same league as the TUMI (or slightly above), but both below the B&R.

Oh, and by the way, TUMI also apparently thinks that B&R is too good because there was a thread here a while back saying that TUMI would not allow Harrods to also carry B&R (but I do not know this personally).
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat
if only the two choices, the B&R for sure. Of course I'd wait until I see some random clearance sale on Overstock.com.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by cordelli
Agree. I've also had a Samsonite that's lasted well longer than a TUMI.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I notice the B&R has the whole handle mechanism outside the pack. that is a big was of space
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Welcome to FT!

I would pick Tumi if it was absolutely free. Otherwise B&R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.