Rollaboard Recommendation Please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Silver VIP, Delta Skymiles, USAirways

Background: I fly about 7 times per year, and have a cruise out of Rome scheduled for later this year, and a 2-week land vacation in Europe planned for next summer.

I am looking for an approx 20" softside Rollaboard that is sturdy and less than $150 (after sale pricing). Is there a 'best time' for purchasing luggage? Also, any recommendations on a brand that fits my limited budget while still fulfilling the requirement to last?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 1:44 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by suzski
Background: I fly about 7 times per year, and have a cruise out of Rome scheduled for later this year, and a 2-week land vacation in Europe planned for next summer.

I am looking for an approx 20" softside Rollaboard that is sturdy and less than $150 (after sale pricing). Is there a 'best time' for purchasing luggage? Also, any recommendations on a brand that fits my limited budget while still fulfilling the requirement to last?

Thanks in advance!
Travelpro crew 8 20" Widebody (not the normal one). Luggagepros has/had a sale for $146, free ship.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Silver VIP, Delta Skymiles, USAirways
Thanks Jakuda. I have heard great things about Travelpro Crew products so this was just what I was looking for. And I was able to get an additional 5% cash back by clicking thru ebates so it cost me less than $140.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:48 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Are you using this as carryon luggage?

If so, best to check with the airlines you fly because its dimensions of 20x16x9 definitely exceeds AA's and DL's 20x14x9 limit.

I don't understand why manufacturers produce these widebody carryon pieces since they exceed many airlines' size restrictions..
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by sk3

If so, best to check with the airlines you fly because its dimensions of 20x16x9 definitely exceeds AA's and DL's 20x14x9 limit.

I don't understand why manufacturers produce these widebody carryon pieces since they exceed many airlines' size restrictions..
I completely agree. I noticed B&R baseline is maximum carry on roller size is now 21 inch rather than 22. Im guessing so it fits. Hopefully someone at B&R will read the rest of the dimensions. Because Im betting the proverbial dollars to donuts that once enough of these widebodies get out there the carriers will be sending notices to tag, check and charge for them. And people will be complaining about it.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:35 pm

The Widebody luggage is perfect for international travel. Airlines may have slightly different luggage rules for international flights. For example for AA:

"One small bag = Total dimensions (length + width + height) may not exceed 45 inches/ 114 cm, with each dimension no larger 22 in/56cm long, 18 in/45cm wide, and 10 in/25cm height. "

The OP said he/she was doing international travel, thus the recommendation for the Widebody.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:45 am
sk3
Suspended

deleted
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:03 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by jakuda
The Widebody luggage is perfect for international travel. Airlines may have slightly different luggage rules for international flights. For example for AA:

"One small bag = Total dimensions (length + width + height) may not exceed 45 inches/ 114 cm, with each dimension no larger 22 in/56cm long, 18 in/45cm wide, and 10 in/25cm height. "

The OP said he/she was doing international travel, thus the recommendation for the Widebody.
Although if you have to make a connection forget it. Or if you fly domestic at all. The limit there is 14 inches on AA.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Mar 24, 2011 at 10:20 am
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by sk3

Where did you get that DL's limit was 20x16x9? This is what it says on their site:

Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 115 cm) in combined length, width, and height.

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check, which is located near the check-in counters and at the gate and is approximately 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm).
https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...ryon/index.jsp
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by suzski

Thanks in advance!
hehe...interesting one
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by sanderson
hehe...interesting one
oops double post. love internet
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by PeteyNice
Where did you get that DL's limit was 20x16x9? This is what it says on their site:

But the 16 inch on the wide body is still over the limit.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sanderson
hehe...interesting one
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:01 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by PeteyNice

When I said its dimensions of 20x16x9 definitely exceeds AA's and DL's 20x14x9 limit, "its" referred to the suggested TravelPro Widebody carryon not to DL's policy.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

Although if you have to make a connection forget it. Or if you fly domestic at all. The limit there is 14 inches on AA.

Domestic connections on international travel gets the international carryon allowance dimensions on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.