Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

packable duffel?

packable duffel?

Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

packable duffel?

I realize that we no longer have a regular duffel around anymore and haven't missed it. Until we started packing for our next trip. We expect to return with significantly more items then we leave with. In the past we've done this by stuffing a fairly simple duffel type bag into our main suitcase. But I could use some recommendations.

-Sure, suitcases have expansions for this. But it is easy to get over a weight limit if you use it.
-The lightest/most packable option is a large stuff sack. Does double duty during the trip as laundry bag. We've done this, but the very minimalist set up makes it a real pain to carry, and I'd wish it would close with more than cinch strap.

Is there such a thing as a packable duffel? What do you use?

Ideally it is big enough when used to hold more than a carry on (although a carry on sized bag would have it's benefits too). And it would compact into a small and light space when not being used. It need not be super durable - by design it gets half or less use than your regular luggage.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Titanium
I use a packable duffel bag from REI that I picked up a few years ago for that very purpose. Its very small so its a no-brainer for me to toss it in my main bag on trips. As you can imagine a bag of that nature doesn't have a lot of structure to it so I'll often put my laundry in here an any pick-ups along the way into my main bag. That said it has been invaluable to me. Even used it in place of a daypack on a hike, slung over my shoulder like a messenger bag with passable results.

Not sure if REI still sells the model I have - seems to be listed as no longer available http://www.rei.com/product/748504. But this one is close: http://www.rei.com/product/778792

Looks like this Micro Duffel has a pretty mediocre strap though in contrast to mine (which is average but serviceable to start with). You can probably find others from eBags or elsewhere.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
If you're not locked into a duffel-type bag, this packable daypack from REI has served me quite well: http://www.rei.com/product/754685. It packs well and holds more than the REI packable duffel but is more expensive. And did I mention it's not a duffel?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fanostra
I use a packable duffel bag from REI that I picked up a few years ago for that very purpose. Its very small so its a no-brainer for me to toss it in my main bag on trips. As you can imagine a bag of that nature doesn't have a lot of structure to it so I'll often put my laundry in here an any pick-ups along the way into my main bag. That said it has been invaluable to me. Even used it in place of a daypack on a hike, slung over my shoulder like a messenger bag with passable results.

Not sure if REI still sells the model I have - seems to be listed as no longer available http://www.rei.com/product/748504. But this one is close: http://www.rei.com/product/778792

Looks like this Micro Duffel has a pretty mediocre strap though in contrast to mine (which is average but serviceable to start with). You can probably find others from eBags or elsewhere.

These are good, but I really had in mind something larger. I'm not attached to the duffel, but I sort of expected a duffel to be the closest. The micro duffel and day pack are much too small ~1000 cubic inches. The stowable duffel is closer, but still pretty small ~2600 cubic inches. These would be solid choices to stick in a carry on bag. But I'm looking essentially for a second checked bag. Any thing bigger? For comparison, the basic eagle cargo duffel is 3600cubic inches in medium and 6700 in large.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
I too travel outbound with a carry on but need a checked duffel on the return to hold all the stuff I pick up. I have a couple sizes of folding duffel and won't leave home without one.

I use the Outdoor Products Basic Duffel from Campmor. Comes in sizes from 1150 to 10,600 cu in. I have the 14 x 30 inch (4600 cu in) and it holds a huge amount of stuff yet folds to the size of a dinner plate and about 1/2 inch thick and disappears in your bag outbound. Weight: 10 ounces. It has strong web straps that encircle the bag, not just sewn on, and has rings for a shoulder strap for carrying around and hopping on trains in Europe. Don't let the price fool you, these are very well made duffels. ^

It folds so flat because the fabric is thin but tough nylon, like camping tent or rain jacket material. Any duffel you get with thicker material will take up too much room in your bag as it will not fold so flat. On my trip I grab a cardboard box or two to stiffen it and give it some bulk to handle the baggage conveyors better, and use my clothes as packing, making for a nice light carry on for the return trip. Mine has survived several trips without a scratch but the price is so affordable that if it lasts one trip it has done its job.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I too travel outbound with a carry on but need a checked duffel on the return to hold all the stuff I pick up. I have a couple sizes of folding duffel and won't leave home without one.

I use the Outdoor Products Basic Duffel from Campmor. Comes in sizes from 1150 to 10,600 cu in. I have the 14 x 30 inch (4600 cu in) and it holds a huge amount of stuff yet folds to the size of a dinner plate and about 1/2 inch thick and disappears in your bag outbound. Weight: 10 ounces. It has strong web straps that encircle the bag, not just sewn on, and has rings for a shoulder strap for carrying around and hopping on trains in Europe. Don't let the price fool you, these are very well made duffels. ^

It folds so flat because the fabric is thin but tough nylon, like camping tent or rain jacket material. Any duffel you get with thicker material will take up too much room in your bag as it will not fold so flat. On my trip I grab a cardboard box or two to stiffen it and give it some bulk to handle the baggage conveyors better, and use my clothes as packing, making for a nice light carry on for the return trip. Mine has survived several trips without a scratch but the price is so affordable that if it lasts one trip it has done its job.
Interesting. Do you find the lack of waterproof seams and zipper an issue when you check it? I suppose I could pull out a waterproofer for the seams...

Does it pack into itself? Or how do you get it to dinnerplate size?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by oshelef
These are good, but I really had in mind something larger. I'm not attached to the duffel, but I sort of expected a duffel to be the closest. The micro duffel and day pack are much too small ~1000 cubic inches. The stowable duffel is closer, but still pretty small ~2600 cubic inches. These would be solid choices to stick in a carry on bag. But I'm looking essentially for a second checked bag. Any thing bigger? For comparison, the basic eagle cargo duffel is 3600cubic inches in medium and 6700 in large.
Just came across this one which is more in line with what you describe:

http://www.rei.com/product/795134
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Do you find the lack of waterproof seams and zipper an issue when you check it? I suppose I could pull out a waterproofer for the seams...
How often does any checked bag stay outside on a baggage cart for long periods in the pouring rain with the zipper straight up? You have to give up something when you want lightweight and compact. Wrap delicate things in plastic and figure worse case some things get a little damp. So what, you don't need those dirty clothes any more, you generally use this duffel on your return leg home only.

Or how do you get it to dinnerplate size?
Notice that bag is 14 inches in diamenter. Place human left hand palm on bag left end; place human right hand palm on bag right end; bring human hands toward each other with 0.5 foot pounds of torque in a smooth continuous motion until palms are almost touching. Congratulate self for another successful completion of duffel packing operation.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

How often does any checked bag stay outside on a baggage cart for long periods in the pouring rain with the zipper straight up? You have to give up something when you want lightweight and compact. Wrap delicate things in plastic and figure worse case some things get a little damp. So what, you don't need those dirty clothes any more, you generally use this duffel on your return leg home only.

Notice that bag is 14 inches in diamenter. Place human left hand palm on bag left end; place human right hand palm on bag right end; bring human hands toward each other with 0.5 foot pounds of torque in a smooth continuous motion until palms are almost touching. Congratulate self for another successful completion of duffel packing operation.
fair enough.

the REI one is the same (exact) size, but twice the price and a bit more than twice the weight. I wonder if it is twice the packed size too.... I guess that's the choice between thicker, heavier, and possibly more durable fabric.

Looking at my old duffel I see a couple clear wear holes from what were probably sharp corners on boxes. A reminder to either pad corners or pack things with corners in the other bag.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
How often does any checked bag stay outside on a baggage cart for long periods in the pouring rain with the zipper straight up?
Well, sitting on a plane I saw a bag drop off a baggage handler cart that was whirling around in the rain and it sat there a good 30 minutes. Other handlers drove past it without picking it up. We pushed back and the bag was still there. So while chances are slim, it can happen.

To the OP, Redoxx makes a superb bag that folds flat and is extremely wear resistant. Does not pack up but that flat fold makes up for it.
http://www.redoxx.com/Aviator-Duffel...LG/150/Product
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingalien
Well, sitting on a plane I saw a bag drop off a baggage handler cart that was whirling around in the rain and it sat there a good 30 minutes. Other handlers drove past it without picking it up. We pushed back and the bag was still there. So while chances are slim, it can happen.

To the OP, Redoxx makes a superb bag that folds flat and is extremely wear resistant. Does not pack up but that flat fold makes up for it.
Oh interesting. More in line with the heavier REI bag. How easy is the more square shape to deal with, compared to a duffel?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by kingalien
How often does any checked bag stay outside on a baggage cart for long periods in the pouring rain with the zipper straight up?

I was going to suggest either the RedOxx you pointed out or an Eagle Creek duffle.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:36 pm

EMS has a very lightweight duffel that folds into itself and zips up. I don't see it on their website but saw one in a store last week.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here is a link to the Eagle Creek

http://www.eaglecreek.com/bags_luggage/duffels/Packable-Duffel-40489/
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Oh interesting. More in line with the heavier REI bag. How easy is the more square shape to deal with, compared to a duffel?
The bag is square in shape but collapsible so if you don't have it filled completely it will cave in. Just FYI, the zipper is all around from the bottom left to the right side and there are no D-rings to place a shoulder strap on though you can do it yourself by placing some on the handle straps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.