Reload this Page >

Luggage suggestion for frequent business travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage suggestion for frequent business travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
All of my bags are Tumi, but that said I do not think I would purchase Tumi now. Why, many reasons:
1) Price at one time I believed you got a premium product at a fair if not high price. But since I was breaking luggage on a regular basis I tried Tumi and never looked back. But, the prices have gone up quite a bit and I am no longer so sure.
2) Competition back in the day I started buying Tumi the quality of the competition was not what it is today. Now there are many excellent competitors out there that do not have such a high price point.
3) Warranty no longer lifetime bad idea for a premium product.

I just checked my closet and I have 8 pieces the oldest over 20 years. So I have been happy long term customer. The last piece I purchased was over 5 years ago, the stuff just lasts. The only Tumi purchase I ever made that I was not happy with was the suitor with wheels. Just too large bulky and heavy, so that one gets pushed to the back of the closet. I have had both of my suit bags modified so that when open both sides can be hooked to the rail in a closet. This makes them much more functional.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

As a note, Briggs & Riley have come out with two new lines; Transcend and BRX. Both are lighter than their standard Baseline Bags. Both have the same unlimited lifetime warranty, including against damage. I have the BRX 19 inch toller and likenit a lot. It is a great carryon if not overstuffed.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:49 pm

I think the best business bag on the market is the Redoxx Air Boss.
See: www.redoxx.com
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA EXP, et. al.
Originally Posted by John Isaac
I think the best business bag on the market is the Redoxx Air Boss.
See: www.redoxx.com
I would have to disagree with your blanket "business bag" opinion, as that would be subject to the type of business you work in. If you work in a business suit executive environment where clients place a high value on corporate image, then the Redoxx Air Boss would most definitely NOT be appropriate as a business bag.

On the other hand, if your client is a silicon valley high-tech company where its millionaire founders wear jeans and flip-flops, then it would be MOST appropriate.

I, actually considered the light-weight Redoxx Air Boss bag, but was unable to justify the purchase as most clients prefer a suit & tie business image, so I would not get enough use of this bag (aside from adventure trips). Now, if Redoxx releases a black executive version that would not look out of place in an executive environment, I'd buy it.

In the end, I purchased the discontinued Briggs & Riley 235X precisely because it would fit in perfectly in both of the extreme business environments (suits/jeans). The down side of the BR235X is that it's heavier than I would prefer.

Last edited by jmanusa; Nov 28, 2010 at 7:49 am Reason: sp
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by jmanusa
I would have to disagree with your blanket "business bag" opinion, as that would be subject to the type of business you work in. If you work in a business suit executive environment where clients place a high value on corporate image, then the Redoxx Air Boss would most definitely NOT be appropriate as a business bag.

On the other hand, if your client is a silicon valley high-tech company where its millionaire founders wear jeans and flip-flops, then it would be MOST appropriate.

I, actually considered the light-weight Redoxx Air Boss bag, but was unable to justify the purchase as most clients prefer a suit & tie business image, so I would not get enough use of this bag (aside from adventure trips). Now, if Redoxx releases a black executive version that would not look out of place in an executive environment, I'd buy it.

In the end, I purchased the discontinued Briggs & Riley 235X precisely because it would fit in perfectly in both of the extreme business environments (suits/jeans). The down side of the BR235X is that it's heavier than I would prefer.
True. Since I work for a Japanese company I can not be caught dead with any other bag that is not black in color.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:41 am
Suspended

Hi,fellas. I wanna buy a nice luggage too. Now I'm looking into this Oakley 25 Gallon Tank Luggage. What ya think? Is it nice stuff to go with?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
I don't know about this one. Oakley always was an optics company to me, then it moved into general fashion ... I would not trust them as a luggage company. Call me old fashioned but if I wanted bags/luggage, I would buy it from a luggage company like Travelpro, Samsonite, etc ...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: United 1K - AA EXP - Avis CC - Hertz Plat - Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat
There is a Tumi outlet store in San Marcos, Texas (Between San Antonio and Austin on IH-35) I just picked up a Tumi bag there for about 50% retail price. You still get the full warranty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.