Wiki Posts
Search

Help me get my GF a light, quality suitcase for Xmas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Legend in my own mind
Help me get my GF a light, quality suitcase for Xmas

I've taken her to Europe twice and here and there and everywhere in the good old USA - and her cheapo $49 suitcase she bought at some discounter is now totalled and unusable any longer.

It has rips, tears, huge scuff marks, broken wheels and the last straw was the carry handle being torn off the side coming back from the 2nd EU trip a couple months ago.

I want to get her a quality lightweight roll around suitcase 25"-29" (not a carryon bag - suitcase for checking) for Christmas, and my budget tops out at $200. What should I get her?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: AS, AA, DL, LAN, SPG
In that price range I'd suggest one of the Kirkland Signature bags at Costco. They won't be the lightest, but they are very well made and carry Costco's lifetime warranty.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or make a trip to your local TJMaxx, Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack etc to see what's out there these days.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Be sure to take a look at the ebags.com website, their TLS duffels are great bags. I have the 25-inch MotherLode TLS Junior and the TLS Weekender Convertible (which has backpack straps that tuck away in a zipped compartment). I've used both bags a lot in the past year, for both car and air travel, and they are the best bags I've ever had for practical use and utility. The 25-inch bag is very versatile and I'm continually amazed at how much I can get in the thing. I use packing cubes and 2-gallon ziplocks for compression and the full bag usually weighs about 35-40 pounds at check-in.

ebags.com has sales that include free shipping all the time. The videos that show the bags' features are really useful for decision making.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
It's a tad expensive, but I love my "Spinner" roll aboard. Macy's has them on sale right now. And if you go through one of the shopping portals, you can earn extra points.
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...LinkType=PDPZ1
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:56 pm

That's a nice gift idea.

I agree with Costco or another place with really good warranty/replacement.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Another idea for shopping on a budget is to check out your local "Ross" or other bargain discounter. I've found everything from Tumi, BR, Samsonite and Delsey at my local outlet (at more than 50% off MSRP).
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Legend in my own mind
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
Another idea for shopping on a budget is to check out your local "Ross" or other bargain discounter. I've found everything from Tumi, BR, Samsonite and Delsey at my local outlet (at more than 50% off MSRP).
Originally Posted by Dianne47

ebags.com has sales that include free shipping all the time. The videos that show the bags' features are really useful for decision making.
I ended up buying her a Delsey Helium Zip 29" from ebags.com on closeout for $95.99. It was only available in blue, but I doubt she's going to care. Thanks for the input here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.