Wiki Posts
Search

Best portable seat cushion?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Best portable seat cushion?

I sit in exit rows nearly every flight and the seats can be hard as a rock, especially it seems on 767-300s. Considering purchasing a portable seat cushion, but I'm leery of lugging it around (not to mention looking like an old geezer ). Anybody have experience with inflatable vs gel vs whatever else is available?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:46 am

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Lightbulb

Even while seated in Business or First, I am much more comfortable if I sit on a pillow of a folded up blanket. It really does make a difference!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:20 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to our Travel Products forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I occasionally use an inflatable cushion from brookstone.com on TATL flights. Its well made and usually $25 but I nabbed it on sale for $8. I roll it up to a 2" dia and 10" length but it has a case too. Nice.

MisterNice
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rail-seat.html
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:44 pm

Therm-a-Rest Pro Lite seat is the one I purchased. It has rounded corners, is very lighweight, rolls up smaller than a can of soda, and holds up to my extremely zaftig rump. At about $25. it isn't cheap, but wow does it make a difference in a bad seat! Comes in a hard-to-leave-behind red, a purple, and two kinds of camo. http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...e-seat/product

Other threads have mentioned the cheaper REI-brand inflatable seat cushion. Well, reviews on REI's own site are bad at best. It's made in another country and with less care, it seems, than the Made-In-USA Cascade Designs Therm-a-Rest. Don't buy the cheaper one just to save money - you'll just get aggravated.

The seat cushion also makes bleachers and rocks comfortable as a feather bed to sit upon for long periods. Next parade, game, or theme park you go to, take yours along for the day!

Note: it doesn't come with a case. It fits into a fabric 'can cooler' or Japanese water bottle sleeve, or even a mini umbrella cover salvaged from your old worn-out turned-inside-out brolly.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by vs_itsallgood
Therm-a-Rest Pro Lite seat is the one I purchased. It has rounded corners, is very lighweight, rolls up smaller than a can of soda, and holds up to my extremely zaftig rump. At about $25. it isn't cheap, but wow does it make a difference in a bad seat! Comes in a hard-to-leave-behind red, a purple, and two kinds of camo. http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...e-seat/product

Other threads have mentioned the cheaper REI-brand inflatable seat cushion. Well, reviews on REI's own site are bad at best. It's made in another country and with less care, it seems, than the Made-In-USA Cascade Designs Therm-a-Rest. Don't buy the cheaper one just to save money - you'll just get aggravated.

The seat cushion also makes bleachers and rocks comfortable as a feather bed to sit upon for long periods. Next parade, game, or theme park you go to, take yours along for the day!

Note: it doesn't come with a case. It fits into a fabric 'can cooler' or Japanese water bottle sleeve, or even a mini umbrella cover salvaged from your old worn-out turned-inside-out brolly.
Careful - 3 bad reviews out of 15 is not "bad at best." My REI seat works just fine, thank you. I mean, the Therm-a-rest gets 4.5 with only 3 reviews vs 4.0 with 15 reviews for the REI seat. As for the "non-self-inflating" part, it only takes a couple of breaths to get it inflated. Not a huge deal in my book.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
As noted in another thread, I've found that it is easier finding the most comfortable inflation level on a self-inflating cushion. This is probably the only real advantage of self-inflating vs. blow-up.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vs_itsallgood

<snip>

4 out 5 stars is "bad at best" - so what's 1 out of 5 starts? Dude,you sound like a sort of disgruntled REI empoloyee? From Seattle? Coincidnce?

FWIW, both pads are "self-inflating" pads They just need to be topped off with air. Read the description.

http://www.rei.com/product/746401 (and the REI one does come wiht a case)

http://www.rei.com/product/780983

As someone who is an avid camper, I've owned both REI and Thermarest pads. My first sleeping pad was a Thermarest - I replaced it with the REI one because the price, quality, and value of the REI one was better.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Resurrecting an old thread. The AA A321 seats in F are !@#$% torture. The recline is such that it puts my weight rearward, resulting in a super uncomfortable position. Even fully knocked out I'll wake up in pain 3-4x a flight. I have a few transcons coming up where I need to solve this problem. Not worried about the spend or packing difficulties -- worried about max comfort in those seats-from-hell. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
My wife has been using this one from REI for 4-5 years. She loves it.

https://www.rei.com/product/845302/rei-co-op-sit-pad
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:39 pm

There's also some sit pads with tailbone cut outs if that's what ends up hurting.

Old (or relatively newer) threads with more suggestions
Which seat cushion will get me through a 13-hour flight?
Sore butt thanks to poor seat cushioning
saving my tailbone in coach
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:38 pm

A brilliant idea, specially to use when flying one of those long (ish) Ryanair flights. I found it unbelievable that the seat could actually be uncomfortable. Sure American Eagle flights aren't great idea, but I don't think there are any long flights with them?
Old May 4, 2020, 12:34 am
Suspended

these cushion are mentioned above are really good thing for traveling with safty and easy!! I love these products and ever use it
Old May 11, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by MisterNice
I occasionally use an inflatable cushion from brookstone.com on TATL flights. Its well made and usually $25 but I nabbed it on sale for $8. I roll it up to a 2" dia and 10" length but it has a case too. Nice.

MisterNice
REI had inflatable store brand ones for 10-12$ if I remember correctly. Got a few back then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.