Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rollaboard handle stuck in down position. How to unstick?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 8:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some

My small rollaboard's handle is stuck in the down position, on one side only. Any idea on how to unstick it?

The rollaboard has served me very well and is a perfect size so I'd rather not have to replace if I can get the handle working again.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:31 pm

I'm in a similar position after a gate check must have led to King Kong messing with mine...

I was able to release it by repeatedly "bouncing" it up and down while keeping the lock button depressed... (I have to manually press in one of the protruding studs now when closing it.. but it now only takes a "jiggle" to open it)

Problem is I suspect you have already tried that!
Old May 8, 2010, 11:43 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

yes, I've already tried that

one side comes free but the other side does not
Old May 8, 2010, 12:51 pm

On many cases you can access the handle mechanism from the inside. Just take the lining out. Sometimes there is a zip or velcro allowing you access.

You can usually take out the entire handle assembly. Then you can see where the "sore spot" is and possibly repair it. I suppose it is just something that needs to be re-aligned and maybe given a bit of lube.

Till
Old May 10, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
I had a similar situation with my Travelpro when the handle stuck in the open position.

I removed it as suggested in the above post. The spring that holds the pin that goes in hole had become unattached from the handle button , leaving it permanantly in place.

I pushed in the pin, covered it with a small piece of plastic which I duct taped down, and the handle works perfectly.

Of course it is not 100% locked but I never had a problem with the results.
Old May 10, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Any idea on how to unstick it?
Is it bent? I've had a rollaboard come out on the carousel all beat up. One side of the handle seemed to want to come out but the other side refused to budge. Sure enough, the handle was bent.
Old May 10, 2010, 7:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

No it isn't bent. This rollaboard always goes on the aircraft with me (except on the little 10-20 seater a/c). One of the reasons I'm so attached to it is it fits on so many aircraft.
Old May 12, 2010, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if shooting some graphite down the tubes would help. Never tried it, but it does seem like something that might make a difference.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I wonder if shooting some graphite down the tubes would help. Never tried it, but it does seem like something that might make a difference.
just fixed an old travelpro rollaboard that had stuck in the open position..as a previous poster noted, the pins that lock the handle at the two points become wedged into slot cut into the handle and do not retract. In my case, it seems to have been one of the handles was not quite square with the opening and bound up enough with it that the latching mechanism could not retract. The spring still functioned. Worked it over manually enough to ease the friction, applied some silicone and fixed. I tried injecting lubricant at first, it was insufficient to clear the jam.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
When my luggage handle got stuck a couple of months ago, I found this video on how to repair. It didn't solve my particular problem, but it was well done and informative, and does a good job of explaining how the mechanism works and how to fix common issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hjjeHVCEz4

Good luck.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Also, try spraying some WD-40 and let it soak for a minute or 2, then give it a good push.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: american united
I had the same problem. Took the screws out of the handle and disassembled the mechanisim. When I put it back together it works fine. Unbelievable that those plastic parts do anything at all, but hey!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.