Community
Wiki Posts
Search

can anyone recommend good bum bag?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:43 am
Original Poster

can anyone recommend good bum bag?

We need a bumbag for a 6 yr old and for a adult. We are going to Disneyland in June--would need to carry camera, money, tix hopefully a water bottle or 2 and a few cookies...any suggestions?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I would just buy an inexpensive school backpack (or if your 6 year old has one). Lightweight and they have plenty of room for water bottles, souvenirs, your camera, a light jacket, germ gel, snacks, etc...

If by "bum bag" you mean fanny pack, I would just go with a back pack.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I would just buy an inexpensive school backpack (or if your 6 year old has one). Lightweight and they have plenty of room for water bottles, souvenirs, your camera, a light jacket, germ gel, snacks, etc...

If by "bum bag" you mean fanny pack, I would just go with a back pack.
By all means, get a school backpack. Nothing screams tourist more than a fanny pack. BTW, I refer to them as "belly bags".
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
I can definitely recommend a school backpack for Disney. You can easily carry a couple of raincoats, some quick snacks and a lot of water in the bag along with your camera etc.

Only problem you might run into is having to do some digging when looking for an item.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:31 pm

We are at Disneyland at least 5 times a year and my 6 yo daughter is in charge of schlepping her own stuff. This is what she uses. It's smaller than a regular school backpack so it's not cumbersome and doesn't get in the way on rides. A water bottle, wallet, snacks and small purchases easily fit inside. She loves it!

http://www.ebags.com/jansport/superb....cfm?modelid=1
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No self respecting adult will wear a bum bag/fanny pack/belly bag under any circumstances. None. Never. No.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Back pack is best. Take some plastic zipper bags to protect camera and paper items. They also help in quickly finding something instead of having to dump the contents.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I was going to take just a backpack but then I read some book that suggested a bumbag---so I got caught up in the whole 'must wear a bum bag' moment but yes, I agree, a back pack makes much more sense.

PS: In Oz- they're called 'bumbags' or 'lumbar bags' as 'fanny' here has a whole different meaning-eek
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by liska67
I was going to take just a backpack but then I read some book that suggested a bumbag---so I got caught up in the whole 'must wear a bum bag' moment but yes, I agree, a back pack makes much more sense.
Well, if you're an overweight middle-aged man wearing shorts, black dress socks and white tennis shoes, a bumbag would be perfect. Likewise if you are a 70+ year old woman in a track suit.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: EXP LTPlat
This is so totally a manifesto of the fashion police. It is simply a matter of style. What, really, is wrong with a fanny pack, other than someone has dedcided they're not cool? When I took my wheeled carry-on to work prior to leaving directly for a flight, some of the younger nurses warned me: "wheeled backpacks just aren't cool, skipaway". When I said that I was going straight to the airport, then that was OK. Geesh.
Anyway, like Hush Puppies and Trevira, I predict they'll make a come-back. So much handier to be able to access your stuff without off-loading a backpack and rummaging through it. Guess it will take Angelina wearing one to get it done. As for me, I refuse to give it up when I'm trail riding--most of my stuff is in my saddle bag, but lot of good that'll do me if mighty steed and I part company many miles from the truck.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by skipaway
This is so totally a manifesto of the fashion police. It is simply a matter of style. What, really, is wrong with a fanny pack, other than someone has dedcided they're not cool? When I took my wheeled carry-on to work prior to leaving directly for a flight, some of the younger nurses warned me: "wheeled backpacks just aren't cool, skipaway". When I said that I was going straight to the airport, then that was OK. Geesh.
Anyway, like Hush Puppies and Trevira, I predict they'll make a come-back. So much handier to be able to access your stuff without off-loading a backpack and rummaging through it. Guess it will take Angelina wearing one to get it done. As for me, I refuse to give it up when I'm trail riding--most of my stuff is in my saddle bag, but lot of good that'll do me if mighty steed and I part company many miles from the truck.
How long do you have? Fanny packs make you look like an utter, total, complete, knob-end. Carry on if you must

PS. Shoes with velcro straps are good too so I hear - and not forgetting trousers with elasticated waistbands as I hear they are very comfortable.

Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:04 pm

Well, dang, foxy, I'm one for 2: Teva Dozers. Wore them today beach to trail to sidewalk in lovely San Juan. Velcro and all, and not one ticket from the F.P. Very versatile footwear, if you're not going dancing. Carried a Baggallini cross body (thus almost hands free) bag. Not quite a fanny pack, but close. Ah, comfort and function. OK, I'll be sheepish
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, US Airways Platinum
Fanny packs are something that I see in Disneyland. (We had a year pass this last year.) Remember you will be seeing people in Goofy hats, Mickey Mouse ears, and Princess dresses, etc. Remember the purpose of Disneyland is to have fun. The advantage of fanny packs is that they can stay on for many of the rides. Backpacks need to be removed and placed on the floor of the ride. From experience.....don't get one that is too large or too heavy. After about 10 hours or so in the park they seem to get heavier.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:48 pm

Agree tutu. There are fora devoted to traveling to Disney (land and world). I was there last month (4 adults, believe it or not) and we had a blast. I purchased a backpack there to accommodate acquired stuff, and it was awful--it was a crummy pack, and as you mentioned, forever coming on and off. One of my friends belongs to Disney Vacation Club, and she would say, were she here, that the OP should get a stroller when she gets to the park, even for a 6 year old. We saw them all over, even parked outside of rides with bags in them or attached to them. Not that I'm advocating that, but a common sight. The stroller becomes kind of a wheelbarrow when not used for it's intended purpose. And there were plenty of older kids (6-ish for sure) worn out and catching a ride.

Silverfox has a point: for whatever reason, fanny packs have, along with Hawaain shirts, plaid bermudas, and beer bellies, become associated with the worst image of the American tourist. But they are practically de riguer at Disney, and if enough of us really cool people wear with panache, they'll be the height of style someday.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines
If the trends I see on TV are anything to go by (you can ask skipaway how much TV I watch ), bumbags are making a comeback. But what you need to use depends on what you need to carry, how secure you want your stuff to be, and how busy you want your hands to be. I have carried backpacks, messenger bags, and bumbags in a variety of situations, and each has its uses.

Personally, for a child going to see Mickey, I would probably use the bumbag. It's less likely to get left somewhere, there's no need to take it off, it's less likely to get over-loaded, and it would remain in sight at all times. That is important to me, but others might want to carry more stuff, or have concerns I'm not aware of. Bags today are made in many styles, materials, colors and sizes.

Just decide what will work best for you and your child.

Have fun at Disney!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.