Reload this Page >

Reasonable Rimowa Prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reasonable Rimowa Prices?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:48 pm

It seemed silly to start my own thread for this, so I figured this was a good place to ask.

I’m currently having critical analysis paralysis on a set of Rimowa luggage. I’m a fairly light traveler, let’s say flying once every 1-2 months, long driving trips once a month, and an international flight once a year, but I’m just finishing up a two week trip in Japan and every single day I was jealous of my wife’s Salsa Air over my Travelpro.
What I’m looking to get for now is two pieces. One large-ish carryon, and one underseat bag (that can slip over the handle of the carryon). The way I travel is the carry on is sealed from door to door, and the underseat bag contains computer, chargers, and anything else I’d need in transit. I could do aluminum or polycarbonate, budget is flexible-ish, I just am stuck with too many lines and choices on what is the “best.”From what I can tell, Salsa Deluxe Notebook might be the only real solution for my small underseat bag. Any other thoughts? I was leaning towards Salsa Deluxe to get the nicer interior, but I really dig the look of the aluminum cases, I just can’t find a matching smaller underseat bag, and I’m really vain and want them to match, haha. Anyone have any thoughts for a scrub like me who is getting serious about luggage for the first time in his life?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:31 pm

fwiw, I've got a Rimowa Salsa Multiwheel suitcase with Electronic Tag 87L Matte Black for sale. Based in ZRH. Great condition, only used for a few trips. Open to offers - pls PM me. thx.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: M&M SEN
Exclamation Rimowa 20 to 40% discount

My Belgian Rimowa dealer called me this weekend to inform me he’s selling out his Rimowa stock due to Rimowa’s change of distribution policy.
I’m looking for some potential customers to jointly buy some of his stock to get a sweeter deal.
PM me for details, you will be dealing directly with him, I will NOT be in the middle.
Best wishes,
Werner

Please discard this post as the dealer informed me he is not willing to cooperate and will not sell Rimowa's at discounted prices to non existing customers. Sorry guys, tried to create a sweet deal but it's not going to work.

Last edited by DoubleUA; May 14, 2018 at 8:41 am
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:12 pm

I thought I heard that Rimowa was relatively price-controlled? (Except for grey market sellers or buying used of course). I am kicking myself now because I was just in a Rimowa store in Paris a few days ago, where I saw a Topas Stealth Black (man, that is a good looking bag). They said it was 860 euros (including VAT). I wanted to get it, but the store didn't ship and I didn't really want to carry an extra suitcase home with me. I figured I'd just get one when I got back to the US. Now that I am home, I can't find one for even close to that price. And, I would have gotten the VAT off too, making it an even better deal. Lesson learned, I should have grabbed it when I had the chance.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:12 am

Up to 30% off on previous Rimowa models, UK store:
https://www.londonluggage.co.uk/collections/rimowa
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:30 pm

Due to the Great Rimowa Product Line Refresh of 2018, has anyone seen any Topas cases on clearance anywhere? I've got the hankering for some aluminum.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: M/M
Only inventory RIMOWA Topas I've seen that remains on clearance is in Frankfurt.

Check-In, eTag versions only. Plenty of RIMOWA Limbo eTag models, as well.

Most of the old stock inventory has since moved, especially over the holidays.

Only color left are the RIMOWA Topas Titanium trolleys.

There are only so many Topas Titanium 67L eTag trolleys I can rotate in my collection.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:57 am

I suspected I missed the boat on any old stock but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:41 am

Bumping. Currently in Spain and considering getting a cabin trolley to match my checked Topas (although now that the updated black is the same price, it's very tempting!)

Any Barcelona-based retailers that regularly run discounts? Or any web retailers that are able to handle the tax refund paperwork? A local department store carries an old stock cabin trolley at the old price, but I'm not sure I'll be able to navigate getting the tax refunded if I bring it into the store.

At this point, I'm considering purchasing @ retail, as it's still ~$400 cheaper than buying stateside...

edit: Also, any alternatives to Global Blue? The VAT rate here is 21%, but GB estimates that I'd get a 12.5% refund... that's a pretty good cut for them!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:11 am

After LVMHs strict revision of their authorized dealer contracts, you will not find many deals to be had with their current distributors.

However, if you can find old dealers trying to offload old inventory, that is your best option.

Unfortunately, GB is your prevailing tax provider for LVMH-branded goods.
g2x222 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:57 am

What is the VAT refund on rimowas in Spain? Noob question but is Global Blue a company that assists you in getting your VAT refund and they take a cut? Cant travelers process VAT refunds themselves at the airport like most other countries?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:56 am

Full VAT on RIMOWAs are the 21% tax rate in Spain.

Global Blue is a VAT-refund service provider that takes a commission from your VAT refund. After administrative fees, you're looking at only getting back 10-12%, nowhere near the full 21%.

Participation in VAT-refund programs is completely voluntary and not obligated by business owners. It is at the discretion of the business whether or not they participate.

Most travelers are not eligible to have VAT refunds processed through alternate means. There are other means, but you would know what those options are if they were available to you.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by hornillas1
Full VAT on RIMOWAs are the 21% tax rate in Spain.

Global Blue is a VAT-refund service provider that takes a commission from your VAT refund. After administrative fees, you're looking at only getting back 10-12%, nowhere near the full 21%.

Participation in VAT-refund programs is completely voluntary and not obligated by business owners. It is at the discretion of the business whether or not they participate.

Most travelers are not eligible to have VAT refunds processed through alternate means. There are other means, but you would know what those options are if they were available to you.
Thanks for the breakdown! If I purchase a suitcase at a participating retailer in the VAT program, is there any issue I might come across getting the 21% tax back at the airport? Why do people go with Global Blue if its as simple as standing in line at the airport and showing the receipt and paperwork?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:02 am

In Spain, starting in January 2019, the country went to the digital tax free VAT verification system, known as DIVA.

You will have to validate your VAT-refund request digitally before being able to submit a refund request.

However, you are still submitting the processing of your paperwork and refund request through a third-party agency, such as Innova Tax Free. Innova Tax Free averages a 13% VAT refund, after they process your request.

Every "visitor" to the EU is still required to stand in line and show their receipt and goods to a designated customs official. You cannot submit your request for a VAT refund without a customs stamp.

The VAT-refund processor depends on the merchant, they commonly include, Global Blue, Innova TaxFree, Exact Exchange, Global Exchange, all of whom, charge administrative fees to process your refund request.

Again, you will most likely never receive the full 21% VAT as a refund amount. You will still average 10-12%, as your true refund amount.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by ayee007
Thanks for the breakdown! If I purchase a suitcase at a participating retailer in the VAT program, is there any issue I might come across getting the 21% tax back at the airport? Why do people go with Global Blue if its as simple as standing in line at the airport and showing the receipt and paperwork?
Basically, the issue is that the merchant (in my recent case, the Rimowa retail store) partners with a tax free facilitator, such as GB. The merchant created a claim with GB at the time of purchase and provided me with GB-specific paperwork that’s intended to be submitted to GB after being digitally “stamped” at the DIVA kiosk. My refund came directly from GB, so I’m guessing they front the money and work with the merchant behind the scenes to get the full amount (probably minus the merchant’s cut for using GB. Nice little system!)

You can’t use the paperwork to get a full VAT refund from the merchant, and as participation in the program is voluntarily, I don’t think you’ll get much cooperation from the merchant with regard to refunding your full VAT, especially if you don’t know your way around the system (I certainly don’t!)

Anyway, I got my cabin suitcase directly from Rimowa a few days before departing, after nearly getting pickpocketed. The DIVA kiosks at BCN were swamped due to the post-conference crowd at the airport (I spotted at least a few new Rimowas in line)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.