Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why a ring flash?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I've been reading a lot about them lately and can't figure out the appeal/value of a ring flash over a traditional on-camera or shoe-mount model. I get that it is better for macro or in cases where the lens causes a shadow due to size or wide angle.

Beyond that is there another reason they seem to be all the rage right now (or at least getting a lot of press)??
Old Nov 24, 2008, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Beyond that is there another reason they seem to be all the rage right now (or at least getting a lot of press)??
Really? They are all the rage? Damn, Santa better give me one then!

Well, I guess not just true macro, but closeup work can benefit.

For me, I just use a hotshoe cable for my regular Canon flash, and a Gary Fong diffuser. Those tools alone can do so much already.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:48 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
I've been reading a lot about them lately and can't figure out the appeal/value of a ring flash over a traditional on-camera or shoe-mount model. I get that it is better for macro or in cases where the lens causes a shadow due to size or wide angle.

They're popular in portrait lighting because they provide a nice even light that wraps around the subject. When you're close to a background, they can create an interesting "all-around" shadow effect, as demonstrated on my daughter's stuffed monkey :

This is one that I DIY'd to mount on a regular old Nikon speedlight.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
For portraits, won't a ring in the reflection of the eye become distracting?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need them when the subject is too close to the lens, especially if you are using a big lens.

I've got a shot around somewhere of a bird in flight. While the bird was high enough in the frame to be exposed (actually an aiming error!) a good chunk of the frame is in shadow from the lens. It was something that I had never thought of until I saw that print.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
The newer macro lights for Nikons DSLR are the R1/R1C1 with multiple flash mounted on a ring fitted to the lens. These have better flexibility than fixed ring flash.

I have the most basic SL-1 ring light (not flash) for the Coolpix series and do use it on occasion. But the LEDs can leave an ugly reflection unless I am careful.

The best results I found is by using multiple remote flash units. This is done in the Nikon system by wired remote or the newer CLS wireless components. Almost all modern Nikon DSLR can use these remote components. There are older flash which works fine as slave unit and literally can cost $20 to $30 each today.

Here is an example taken with three flash units.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...8/DSCN9129.jpg

This subject is about 2.5 inch tall.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
The newer macro lights for Nikons DSLR are the R1/R1C1 with multiple flash mounted on a ring fitted to the lens. These have better flexibility than fixed ring flash.

I have the most basic SL-1 ring light (not flash) for the Coolpix series and do use it on occasion. But the LEDs can leave an ugly reflection unless I am careful.

The best results I found is by using multiple remote flash units. This is done in the Nikon system by wired remote or the newer CLS wireless components. Almost all modern Nikon DSLR can use these remote components. There are older flash which works fine as slave unit and literally can cost $20 to $30 each today.

Here is an example taken with three flash units.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...8/DSCN9129.jpg

This subject is about 2.5 inch tall.
Yup. Multiple remote flashes do just about everything a ring flash does and more. The only case where they wouldn't do is if you need to be able to take the shot quickly without being able to set up--not a common situation.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
For portraits, won't a ring in the reflection of the eye become distracting?
Yes -- portraits taken with a ring flash give the models that "dead-chicken-look" in the eyes. Fashion-shots with a ring-flash enhances the natural "Dead-chicken-look" of the models to perfection.....

I've got my ring-flash quasi-permanently mounted on my macro-gear, and haven't (other than the occasional testing) found an use for it other than macro
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:40 am

I think it's worth pointing out there's two types of ring flash:

Ones for macro use are intended for close up work where a normal flash would be obscured by the lens. They're normally low power as they don't need to throw light a long way.

Ring flashes for portrait use are much higher power, intended to light a much bigger area. Both intend to give even, shadowless light, but portrait ring flashes use a bigger light source to try and soften the light. Recently a couple of clip-on solutions for standard flashes have become available. The established one at the moment is the Ray Flash ringflash adaptor.

Try and mix and match and you'd struggle to get good results.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by F-Stop Junkie
I think it's worth pointing out there's two types of ring flash:
Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

And thanks for the info.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by voop
Yes -- portraits taken with a ring flash give the models that "dead-chicken-look" in the eyes. Fashion-shots with a ring-flash enhances the natural "Dead-chicken-look" of the models to perfection.....

I suggest that you don't shoot family portraits with a ringlight or your family will hate you. Save the ringlight for closeups of dental procedures.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:57 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
It's not about flashes (more about machine vision), but here's some useful info on lighting:
http://www.edmundoptics.com/techSupp...?articleid=264
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:48 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

IMO the fascination comes from people watching CSI. They think that they look cool.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
I suggest that you don't shoot family portraits with a ringlight or your family will hate you. Save the ringlight for closeups of dental procedures.
I was going to say that a ring flash is great for taking pictures of the surgical field.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
like F-stop junkie mentioned there are two different styles of ring lights. I dont do enough macro photography on land to make it justifable to get one, (UW is a different story, but i use a 3 strobe setup for that).

Now when if comes to using a ring light for portraits(not the family style either, but more glamour and high fashion) thats a different story its because im going for a shadowless look in the image to go along with flawless skin and/or high detail make up work (IE fantasy,etc). I have used a few brands of ringlights including several very expensive european brands but I use a Alienbees ringlight and various modifiers from bare bulb to 50" softbox attached.

In general a ring light is of limited use to the average shooter when compared to a hotshoe mounted using on or off camera techniques for portraits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.