Wiki Posts
Search

Off Loading Memory Sticks Without Computer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Off Loading Memory Sticks Without Computer

Does anyone know of a device, with a built in hard drive or flash drive or even a CD burner, that allows one to copy the pictures off of a memory stick or flash card so the latter can be put back into the camera for the next batch of pictures.

I mean, a device that does not require a laptop or other computer and therefore be very convenient on an extended vacation.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The Digimate III is a reasonably-cheap device that does exactly that. Big leap of faith but I haven't lost any of some 36 GB of photos.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678749

I like htis product if it wasn't so expensive:

http://www.vosonic.com/product.php?P...&kind=1&id_1=1
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
What you're looking for is a "Portable Digital Storage" device. Many makes and models from no-name ones to Samsung. With a dedicated connector and card reader, an Apple iPod can also be one (though very slow and not user friendly).

I investigated in one some time ago, but with flash memory card prices coming down so quickly now, I just buy more memory cards when I need it.

How much storage space do you really need on your extended vacation?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: UA gold
Hyperdrives work pretty well. I have the HD80 which has the advantage of working on AA's. Functions as both a drive and a AA charger for my flash (although slow). But the backup portion of it works great and is pretty fast.

As for buying more cards: I personally only like using the top quality brands (Sandisk Extreme) which are still pretty expensive. If you're shotting RAW, cards fill up pretty quickly. I shot around 10 GB while in Costa Rica for three weeks, and probably could've easily shot 2 or 3 times that much if I had wanted to.

The other problem is that if you have 10 CF cards with you, its a lot easier to lose one than to lose a portable drive. Especially while you're hiking somewhere trying to fiddle around with memory cards - I know I'd lose one. I mounted the HD80 on my backpacks' waist belt, had two CF cards, and switched between them as I needed to (one in camera, one in HD80 dumping files). Worked out really well for me.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Epson is at the high end of PSD's if you want a nice big screen to view, RAW conversion, etc.

I just need a backup device, so I have a Hyperdrive Space 80GB unit.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have one that I use every now and then. My main reason for using it versus my laptop was for dive trips when I didn't want the laptop on the boat but needed to clear the card between dives. Now I just bring enough cards with me for a couple days' worth of shooting and use my laptop as the backup/offload. I almost always have my laptop with me anyways, so it isn't a big deal for me. If you travel without one, having another device to offload the images onto isn't a terrible plan, though it isn't cost effective unless you really are shooting 20+ GB on a trip. That isn't too hard to do these days, especially if you shoot RAW on a newer dSLR, but below that point the price justification isn't always there.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
I've got a 60GB unit from Wolverine called the FlashPac. IIRC, I got it at Fry's. When I'm traveling light, it's my primary means of off-loading pictures, since I can go through 1-2 GB every day. When I'm traveling "well-equipped", it's redundancy to go along with my laptop. I like to have my images in 2 places in case of failure/theft.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Originally Posted by bdjohns1
I've got a 60GB unit from Wolverine called the FlashPac. . .
That's the sort of solution that I'm also looking for. How is the battery life with DLs in the field?

I've also picked up a couple of extra SDs when Best Buy has sales on them. My strategy is similar to yours depending upon length of the trip. If I bring my laptop I dump my daily images onto the laptop and I continue to fill my intact SD stick dumping the new images onto the laptop at days end. Longer trips create a problem as I might cycle through my SD sticks and be forced to reformat one of them to keep shooting.

Now that I've got a new G9 which shoots RAW, I can foresee myself filling those sticks faster, even on a short trip. That Wolverine seems to fit the bill for lightweight, compact, in-the-field use.

I think that I will pick one up for an upcoming Arizona hiking/photo trip with my wife ( it's nice to know that I can stick the Wolverine in her backpack and not feel that I'm weighing her down ).

Barry
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I also buy more memory cards. Saves aggravation.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:08 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
That's the sort of solution that I'm also looking for. How is the battery life with DLs in the field?

I've also picked up a couple of extra SDs when Best Buy has sales on them. My strategy is similar to yours depending upon length of the trip. If I bring my laptop I dump my daily images onto the laptop and I continue to fill my intact SD stick dumping the new images onto the laptop at days end. Longer trips create a problem as I might cycle through my SD sticks and be forced to reformat one of them to keep shooting.

Now that I've got a new G9 which shoots RAW, I can foresee myself filling those sticks faster, even on a short trip. That Wolverine seems to fit the bill for lightweight, compact, in-the-field use.
That's the downside of the Wolverine - the battery life sucks, to be honest. It's good for maybe 3GB of download on the battery. I normally travel with a LiIon powerpack (~4500 mAh at 5V) that was originally designed to charge iPods, cellphones, etc, but can also charge the Wolverine. It has a mini-USB connector for data, but that will only power the device, not charge the battery.

If I were doing it all over again, I'd get one of the Hyperdrive units, despite the additional cost.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:34 am

Programs: UA gold
If I were doing it all over again, I'd get one of the Hyperdrive units, despite the additional cost.
The HD80 is definitely good with battery life - they claim 80GB/charge and I find that believable based on my experience. The Space can do even more. One tip with all these devices is to not use the USB connection if you want any battery life to be left. I've seen tests where the battery was gone much faster after data transfer through USB.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My Hyperdrive Space claims 100GB on a charge. I don't think I ever charged it on my week-long trips and it never fell below 3/4 charge. I probably only downloaded 12-15GB in a week.

It does have a quirky UI, and don't expect the 1GB/minute unless you have whatever DMA-enabled superfast cards they tested with (probably a Sandisk IV/Ducati). I got about 6min/GB with my 50x Kensington card last time I used it. I haven't tried with my newer ExtremeIII/166xcards.

With cards getting cheaper, I now have about 16GB in just a few cards, so the need for the PSD is limited to very extended trips now. If I were doing it over today, I could buy 25GB of cards for the cost of the PSD now. Of course, it's always nice to have a second copy.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
I've a Hyperdrive HD80. Battery life is good with rechargeable LiIon batteries, but I've found it can be a bit picky with non-rechargeable AAs somewhat negating the utility of that.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
That's the downside of the Wolverine - the battery life sucks, to be honest . . . . If I were doing it all over again, I'd get one of the Hyperdrive units, despite the additional cost.
Thanks all for the useful feedback ^

Although I would most likely not have to do many in-the-field DLs, you never say never when it comes to cameras and technology & you don't want to find that you've erred when your out in the field.

I've pulled up a bunch of Sanho drives on B&H and will pull the trigger once I more carefull read the specs & ponder which one I want. I also found some useful info over on DPreview.

Barry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.