Reload this Page >

How (and where) to embed your pictures in the Travel Photography forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
I have copied the first post in this thread to this wiki so anyone can edit it.

A few people have asked in various threads, and I though that this might be a good opportunity to have some instructions for the various image hosting services out there on how to present their images on the TPF forum. I'm going to include the couple responses I've already drafted, but if people have info for ones I haven't included feel free to suggest the provider to me and/or write up the instructions.

S.
And, once you've decided to post your images on FlyerTalk, here are a couple decent threads to share on:
If you're having trouble posting images and cannot seem to figure out why they aren't showing up in the post, make sure to check your profile settings. There is an option to display images or not, and that may be the source of the problems. To get to the setting, click on the My FlyerTalk link, then on the Edit Options link. On that page scroll down and make sure that the check box is selected next to the option "Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)" and save the settings. Hopefully that will fix things.

Update:
Just wanted to add a welcome to folks who are coming over to this thread from some of the other fora that recently had photo embedding enabled. If you're having any problems or want to include details about a new hosting service please feel free to post in this thread and/or PM me.
Print Wikipost

How (and where) to embed your pictures in the Travel Photography forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
If you right click on a photo stored in DropBox, it will show an option "Share Dropbox link".

This will copy a URL to access the image to your clipboard. You can paste this between the [IMG] [/IMG] tags.
This does not work IME. That link is to a Dropbox page which includes the image but which is not solely the image. For the image I embedded above which is stored in my dropbox account the "get link" button gave me https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xlo3ml7flaeak47/JRKdCLJMja. The actual image URL is https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/0/AAAeYwsv39_km61A2qmgrPYG46IdX4-DgG_dCzuEQqU1FA/12/6352107/jpeg/1024x768/3/1390860000/0/2/sq12.JPG/-Ks99deweCP8oB1qPecSIf4HJ_veO-DvLTx5GPM1GsA.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
test

how can i make the pic smaller?

Last edited by injian; Feb 24, 2014 at 4:10 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
test

[img]img_0955.jpeg[/img]
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Looks like you're trying to post an image hosted on your local computer. You need to upload it to somewhere on the internet first for it to work.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
This does not work IME. That link is to a Dropbox page which includes the image but which is not solely the image. For the image I embedded above which is stored in my dropbox account the "get link" button gave me https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xlo3ml7flaeak47/JRKdCLJMja. The actual image URL is https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/0/AAAeYwsv39_km61A2qmgrPYG46IdX4-DgG_dCzuEQqU1FA/12/6352107/jpeg/1024x768/3/1390860000/0/2/sq12.JPG/-Ks99deweCP8oB1qPecSIf4HJ_veO-DvLTx5GPM1GsA.
How do you figure out the "actual" dropbox jpg url, like above?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkafrick
How do you figure out the "actual" dropbox jpg url, like above?
It is not easy. I used the "inspect element" feature of Chrome and then dug into the details to find it.

I'd pick a different place to host those photos rather than trying to make DropBox work for this. Yes, it can be done. But they clearly don't want you doing it that way and they've made it hard enough that it is not worth the effort IMO, especially if you're going to be posting a lot of photos.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: BA
If someone could help me out with how to embed from Flickr, I would be very grateful. The specific notes above seem to date from 2007 and the Flickr interface is now different. They now have this style

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91107118@N02/9383227226/

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 25, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
It is not easy. I used the "inspect element" feature of Chrome and then dug into the details to find it.

I'd pick a different place to host those photos rather than trying to make DropBox work for this. Yes, it can be done. But they clearly don't want you doing it that way and they've made it hard enough that it is not worth the effort IMO, especially if you're going to be posting a lot of photos.
OK - I figured it out. Its actually pretty easy.

Move your photo into the PUBLIC folder of DropBox. Then click on "Get Public Link" and you get the real JPG link.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
If someone could help me out with how to embed from Flickr, I would be very grateful. The specific notes above seem to date from 2007 and the Flickr interface is now different. They now have this style

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91107118@N02/9383227226/
That link is dead so I cannot create an example from it. But at the bottom of an image view page there should be an icon which looks like a box with an arrow coming out of the top-right corner of it. Click on that and grab the UBB code from the options presented.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:01 am

That link is dead so I cannot create an example from it. But at the bottom of an image view page there should be an icon which looks like a box with an arrow coming out of the top-right corner of it. Click on that and grab the UBB code from the options presented.
Thank you, but that seemed to need some extra work.

and then it worked !

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 1, 2014 at 6:55 am
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, but that seems to need some extra work. It gives :

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/91107118@N02/9383227227/player/9c9a5d039a" height="375" width="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
That's not the UBB code option. Click the radio button at the bottom for UBB (you're on "embed") and the text in that box will change.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:54 am

Thank you very much As an acknowledgement, there's a picture of the old Rossiya Tupolev 154s up there now, if you care for nice old aircraft.

The bit about changing the radio buttons had escaped my attention because, on my PC at least, it's in the faintest of grey against a white background.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much As an acknowledgement, there's a picture of the old Rossiya Tupolev 154s up there now, if you care for nice old aircraft.

The bit about changing the radio buttons had escaped my attention because, on my PC at least, it's in the faintest of grey against a white background.
And I missed it because Flickr saves that setting and defaults to wherever you were last time so I didn't have to click it when sharing the instructions with you.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
test

Last edited by injian; Mar 10, 2014 at 12:31 pm
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA silver
just a test... (lots of SWISS!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.