Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wildflowers in Bloom Now

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Wildflowers in Bloom Now

Not sure how much interest there is in this, but I love wildflowers and would like to take more pics of them. Wildflowers can vary year to year and sometimes only bloom for a few weeks, and it can be tricky to know when they are in peak bloom.

There are some resources for this. Texas DOT has a Wildflower Conditions webpage (mmmm.... bluebonnets) that gives current and updated info on which wildflowers are in bloom, and also info on fall foliage.

Desert USA has a Wildflower Field Guide and some info on "What's blooming now?" for Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be updated very often.

The Desert Botanical Garden (Phoenix) has some info under Wildflower Info Site.

Right now, parts of the Pacific Northwest coast and southern BC coast have camas wildflowers in bloom. In Victoria, it is probably a better show than last year and hasn't peaked yet, but is close to peaking on sunny slopes. Shaded meadows are slower to bloom and will last into May. Beacon Hill Park is the easiest place to get photos, but there are other areas throughout the city.

Any other interesting wildflowers in bloom now or soon to be in bloom?

The alpine and mountain meadow wildflowers also have peak blooming times that can vary from year to year. I'd be interested in reports on those, and will post some info, if there is interest.

Cultivated flowers or cherry trees also have prime blooming and photo times. Info is available for cherry blossoms in Washington, DC but also for locations such as Brooklyn Botanic Garden, in their CherryWatch Blossom Status Map.

I would like to catch the lavender in bloom in Sequim, WA this year (which has a Lavender Festival as well).
Old Apr 24, 2007, 6:38 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
www.calphoto.com has a forum reporting wildflower blooms in California. They do fall color reports, as well.
Old May 6, 2007, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

My Beloved Camas

Old May 6, 2007, 6:15 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Got a nice photo I took on the wat to Prague
Wish I had some more time to stop and get more shots
all the flowers in the back are yellow wildflowers. there were just fields of these off the highway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.