Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Any free/reasonable priced editing software program for tralve photography?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any free/reasonable priced editing software program for tralve photography?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Any free/reasonable priced editing software program for tralve photography?

I travel often and love shooting with digital and film cameras. Although I rarely use software tools to edit, I want to get some recommendations of what software programs everyone uses to edit your shots?

The only program I know is Adobe programs. Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
A search turned up, e.g.:

13 Best Free Photo Editing Software for Windows PC in 2023 [Updated] (cyberlink.com)

I use Adobe LrC & Photooshop.

If you are a serious photog, and are willing to invest time to learn, GIMP is my recommendation. Deep learning curve!
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:04 am

This may or may not help, but for Mac users and/or Nikon users, I find Photos in MacOS and Nikon's NX Studio to be quite capable for quick photo editing.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by lokihardt
The only program I know is Adobe programs.
"Know" as in 'how to work with'?
There's Adobe Photoshop Elements , a $100 program (good.old-fashioned perpetual license, too!) that's targeted at consumer photographers.
I`d recommend checking it out. I`s far easier to learn than its big brother.
Good review: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ado...e-for-learners
HGOLI likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Since Adobe started pushing the subscription model, I've been using Digikam. Darktable also generally has good reviews but I found its cataloguing to not be as versatile (it seems more for editing than organizing). Both of these are free and open source, and available for Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Back when I was primarily a Mac user, I was using Aperture, a more professional alternative to the built-in Photos app (also by Apple) that might be discontinued now.
travellingmip likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Free? Photos and Snapseed for mobile editing. Both good.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:50 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I've been using Corel's Paint Shop Pro, the "poor man's Photoshop," for some years. It's not free (list US$80 but lots of coupons out there) but it's extremely versatile and includes most of the higher-end tools available in the Adobe products.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 12:07 pm

Hi, thanks for sharing it helps me too, I only use Adobe too.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
If you’ve been shooting digital and not using some sort of photo editing software for post processing of images you’ve been missing out. With exception of a lot of newer in camera preadjustments, some amount of post processing is necessary to really get digital images to sing. And I’m not talking about piling a bunch of HDR over images.

If you have used some adobe before, I’d start with a purchase of adobe elements. That lands usually in the 50-75$ range on sale. For most people that is going to offer all things necessary for a required amount of post processing and today has about all the features of photoshop from ~ 3-5 years ago.

If you’re really just trying to bring out all the details in your digital images, that would be quite enough. If you’re looking more to alter images, change colors, adjust overall levels, flip colors around, moving on a more creative suite from adobe is going to be required.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes I envy how vibrant others' photos look in IG but in general, I don't do a lot of post-processing. My "style" is more journalistic than artistic. I don't even put salt when I cook or dip dumplings in sauces so I definitely don't add too much when I edit photos

However, I do have to edit when I screw up - especially when the lighting is tricky. I spent some time learning GIMP (lots of people teaching it on Youtube) but I later realized a lot of the stuff can be easily done on the iPhone (probably Android too).
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by username
Sometimes I envy how vibrant others' photos look in IG but in general, I don't do a lot of post-processing. My "style" is more journalistic than artistic. I don't even put salt when I cook or dip dumplings in sauces so I definitely don't add too much when I edit photos

However, I do have to edit when I screw up - especially when the lighting is tricky. I spent some time learning GIMP (lots of people teaching it on Youtube) but I later realized a lot of the stuff can be easily done on the iPhone (probably Android too).
If one shoots in JPG, today's gears are so good that you probably don't need any post edit.
However, if you shoot in RAW, edit is part of the total photography experience.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel
If one shoots in JPG, today's gears are so good that you probably don't need any post edit.
However, if you shoot in RAW, edit is part of the total photography experience.
Perhaps it is best to illustrate this with 2 images: 1 original RAW file; 1 post edited.
The original file was so poor in quality, that even post process couldn't help much (granted I converted it to B&W). The colored version is a Throw-Away for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.