Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with DSLR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quirrow
Flexibility and image quality rarely goes hand in hand. Even for photographers who use DSLR or Mirrorless, the best lenses are usually what is termed as Prime Lenses. As in lenses that have a fixed focal length. This limits what the photographer can capture in a single frame. That is why many photographers specialize in one area as the best lenses are quite specialized for a particular field.
You can change the lens that's on your camera. Superzoom for when I don't have the luxury of changing glass, but I have others. And I can take a long exposure if that's what's needed to get enough light. Or put an ND10 filter on it and make the crowd of tourists basically vanish. Or stick a macro lens on for all those nice flowers.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:02 pm

My only advice would be sell it sooner than later since they are only going to lose value. I'm in the same boat with my canon gear sitting in a bag in the corner. I know I should sell it since I started using my phone for travel videos but I just never bring myself to doing so.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 8:06 am

At one time, I happily carried around a Canon 5D and a bag of L glass. Since then, I’ve rotated through a bunch of systems ... Oly, Nikon, Fuji, back to Oly, then back to Fuji (currently an XE-3).

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve tried to embrace simplicity as much as possible. No doubt, an ILC kit gives you a lot of flexibility, but at a cost in weight, space and futzing.

Previous trips with my camera gear involved a lot fussing (and check lists) … what lenses to bring? Do I have enough batteries? Memory cards? Plus all the assorted bits and bobs. On the trip, I’m the one running to catch up with the group because I was switching lenses. It also means carrying an additional bag.

I've lost count of how many apps I've used to edit and organize my camera images (iView Media, Aperture, LR, Pictorial, etc ...). Editing RAW files—for me—now just feels like a chore.

I shoot an image on the phone, and it shows up on all my devices. If I want to crop or do a little edit, I can also do that on all my devices. Sharing? Quick and easy. And yes, I can transfer images from my Fuji to the phone via bluetooth, but it's just another step. I used to thumb my nose at Apple Photos, but am now quite alright living within its ecosystem. Plus, no more nagging from family about how long it’s taking me to “process” my Fuji photos to share.

The Fuji does make some beautiful images, but I'm the only one who will see how great they look on my 27" iMac. Inevitably, they will get scrunched down for posting online. I rarely print.

I’m on the cusp of letting my Fuji gear go. I’ve picked it up maybe 2-3 times in the past 18 months. How much can I love it if I'm not using it?

I will miss the extra reach my Fuji gives me (plus ACROS). I won't miss carrying it around, futzing with lenses, the GAS, or always getting flagged for screening at airport security.

The phone will offer convenience and acceptable quality, but lacks a true telephoto. For the time being, I picked up a Sony HX-99 to fill that role. It’s totally overpriced for what it is, but it’s tiny. In a worst case scenario, it can be my backup cam.
Old May 11, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
I'm looking for a zoom lens for my wifes' Nikon.. currently looking at a Nikkor 200-500mm for $1400 or a Sigma 150mm-600mm for $900. Leaning towards the Sigma for $900 as it's a hobby for her and she doesn't really take that many pictures, or really print many to be honest.

A bit hesitant buying something like this used, but aside from ebay, are there good sites to buy used? pitfalls to watch out for?
Old May 11, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by johnndor
I'm looking for a zoom lens for my wifes' Nikon.. currently looking at a Nikkor 200-500mm for $1400 or a Sigma 150mm-600mm for $900. Leaning towards the Sigma for $900 as it's a hobby for her and she doesn't really take that many pictures, or really print many to be honest.

A bit hesitant buying something like this used, but aside from ebay, are there good sites to buy used? pitfalls to watch out for?
‘I’ve had good luck buying used from B&H. Very good luck buying on FredMiranda.com in the Buy and Sell section too. B&H used gear comes with a warranty.
johnndor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.