Search

Tips for trying to sell photos

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Tips for trying to sell photos

I have been an on again off again photographer for decades. I’ve shot everything from 4x5 to Minox with mostly digital. I was curious about trying to sell some of my photos. It’s still from a hobby interest, not planning on leaving my day job, but I thought it might be fun.

Most of my my digital images are on Flickr as well as some scanned film images. I was searching around on the web and found Smugmug and Shutterstock as very different models of selling.

Any suggestionson son how to proceed? Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
I have used smugmug and while I generally like it, I have not sold enough to pay the annual fee.

Keep your day job!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have been an on again off again photographer for decades. I’ve shot everything from 4x5 to Minox with mostly digital. I was curious about trying to sell some of my photos. It’s still from a hobby interest, not planning on leaving my day job, but I thought it might be fun.

Most of my my digital images are on Flickr as well as some scanned film images. I was searching around on the web and found Smugmug and Shutterstock as very different models of selling.

look at 500px.com or Adobe Stock. Adobe Stock probably has the weakest payout, but does have a large distribution network. I've sold many of mine through it.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:09 am

Anyone keen to share his pro and contra on shutterstock?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:11 pm

Please tell more about it.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Bronze. Emirates Skyward - Blue. Virgin Flying Club - Red.
Hi LufthansaFlyer,

I've been selling my photos for a couple of years now, and while I've not made much ($2000 in 2 years), it does fund my hobby and allow me to upgrade equipment.

Biggest earner for me is competition prizes. So quick and easy compared to the labour of stock photography, and I've earned more in 3 months of entering competitions than in 2 years of selling stock. Example competitions are in National Geographic Traveller, The Telegraph (UK), The Guardian (UK), Lonely Planet Magazine.

I also have 4000 photos on stock websites (average 500 on each), but it is very time consuming for not much reward. The ones worth your time are iStock, Shutterstock, Dreamstime and Alamy.

One other avenue is contacting magazines about publishing your photos, but very few have a budget for this and will probably insist on paying you in "exposure". I'm only starting out myself, so can't tell if this will lead to anything, but it's still exciting getting your photos published regardless.

I do sell downloads and prints on my website as well, but I've not had a single buyer! Feel free to check it out: www.pleasemindtheyak.com

Any tips or advice from others much appreciated...

From Bagan, Myanmar
sylvia_s and zip10001 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:19 pm

Adobe Stock article: https://petapixel.com/2017/12/11/sol...arned-pennies/
sylvia_s likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:25 am

I love your photos, i think that they're really authentic! good job!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:32 pm

Wow your photos are beautiful
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:44 am

Hey! I have started to sell photos on Shutterstock, Adobe Stock and Dreamstime; along with some others such as 500px, EyeEm, 123RF & Alamy) but they havent payed out well yet.

So far it is working pretty well with about 60$ in nearly 2 months and only about 200 pictures up so far. Still got around 400.000 pictures left from my trip, probably wont have enough time in this life to upload them all! Haha

But i would say Shutterstock is best since it just sells the most. If you arre able to sell some single pictures rather than the 0,25$ you get for Subscriptions ones, it can be very lucrative!

Cheers,
Chris
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Shutterstock is great if you want some cents quick. You'll get subscription sales starting at $0.25 and can also get other sales which are more.

But work is being sold at a very low price and is devaluing things for people such as myself who make a living from photography.

If you work happens to get stolen off the net and used by a company without paying, this has happened to be with one photo more than 50 times, then having work in Shutterstock means that if you catch the offender then you're very unlikely to get any decent recompense out of them.

The other side of the coin is what is know as Rights Managed. This is when a buyer purchases your photo for a specific purpose and they can only use it for that purpose; So if they need an image for the web and also want to use it in a poster then they have to buy two separate licenses.

The top library for this, which is where my own work is, is Getty Images. But there are others such as Alamy (50% commission); Robert Harding; AGE Fotostock; Blend etc.

Don't go down the rabbit hole of microstock libraries people as it is the death bell for serious photographers.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

I sell on Getty. Can you share your portfolio and I'll advise accordingly?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: Turntable-Evangelism
I'm sure the internet has a ton of options, from Ebay to a personal free website.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Troopers
I sell on Getty. Can you share your portfolio and I'll advise accordingly?
I can share, and would be very happy for suggestions. It may take me a bit to to set up a group to share but I will do so. Thanks for the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.