Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Enhancing Photograpgy for social media

Enhancing Photograpgy for social media

Old Oct 29, 17, 12:31 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,169
Enhancing Photograpgy for social media

Besides panorama shots, has anyone done anything interesting with photography besides getting a better camera to post for nicer photos?
jediwho is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 1:52 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Central California
Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Posts: 6,459
Most folks I know who use their phone for "serious" photos use Snapseed or something similar for enhancement of their photos.
jediwho likes this.
abmj-jr is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 2:02 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GRR, USA
Posts: 3,206
Originally Posted by jediwho View Post
Besides panorama shots, has anyone done anything interesting with photography besides getting a better camera to post for nicer photos?
Some will play with 'HDR' enhancements in photoshop and other software, but usually it turns out looking bad. You have to know what you're doing to have an interesting HDR style shot.

A better camera will do wonders for 'interesting photos'!
LufthansaFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 9:33 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,169
Thank. I have tried Snapseed and like it a lot. Do cheaper cameras that do very specific things make sense. For instance getting a $100 camera to take 360 degree shots instead of using your Smartphones that uses software to patch shots or a camera for doing time lapse. Are the results meaningfully better?
jediwho is offline  
Old Oct 30, 17, 9:20 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Posts: 841
One of the best recommendations I've received for social media is making sure your scene has some sort of human element in it. So much of social media is about people escaping where they are, so it's not as much showing them a nice place as it is showing them someone in a nice place, it makes it easier for people to imagine themselves there.
jediwho likes this.
bthotugigem05 is offline  
Old Oct 30, 17, 4:02 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,169
Great tip, thanks! Had never thought about the human element. It is also a hard thing to do though -- combining a great scene with the human element.

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
One of the best recommendations I've received for social media is making sure your scene has some sort of human element in it. So much of social media is about people escaping where they are, so it's not as much showing them a nice place as it is showing them someone in a nice place, it makes it easier for people to imagine themselves there.
jediwho is offline  
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:07 pm
  #7  
Moderator, Trip Reports
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 6km East of EPAYE
Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,343
Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
Most folks I know who use their phone for "serious" photos use Snapseed or something similar for enhancement of their photos.
+1 I LOVE Snapseed. See the recent post I made in the Instagram thread.
Madone59 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread