Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Southern Utah National Parks: what would you take?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver

I'm planning a road trip through southern Utah in May. Moab (Arches/Canyonlands), Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.

I have a Canon T6s and a small collection of primes (24mm, 28mm and 50mm).

I don't have much experience with landscape photography, most of what I've shot before is street, so I'm out of my element here. Certainly I could probably just take the 24mm pancake and come back with some great shots, though it would be limiting.

I'll be driving, so I'm not concerned about size limits.

At the moment I'm thinking about just buying the 10-18mm EF-S and perhaps renting the 70-200mm/f4. On hikes I could just take either the 10-18mm or a prime but while shooting from my car I'd be able to cover everything from 10mm to 200mm, for the most part. Thoughts?

Dust, of course, is a big concern in that area so when out hiking I won't want to change lenses. When shooting from my car I can be careful to only switch lenses inside.

Also, does anyone have any recommended photo tours or courses in that area?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
You don't mention a tripod but if you want to do good landscapes, you need one. Get to the spot before sunrise, set-up on a tripod and shoot from before sunrise til full daylight. Same in the evening - just before sunset until well after. Some of your best images will come after the sun is down.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
abmj-jr's advice is good. The T6 is not a full frame, so your primes give an angle of view that is not terribly wide. The 24 gives close to the same angle of view as a 40mm on a full frame which is close to "normal" or what we see. So, wider lenses would be good.

One consideration is how heavy are the lenses and the camera?

For me shooting wide is a challenge which I am working on. Most of the wide landscape pictures I've like are taken low to the ground with some interest in the foreground and shot to have as much of the photo in focus as possible (which can be tricky).

If you can't find a good photo tour/course, you might get a book--there are lots of good ones out there that help you understand how to get good landscape photos.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

I was planning to pick up perhaps the MeFoto Backpacker Air tripod. I generally haven't used a tripod in the past but this will be my first foray into landscape photography so definitely time to buy one.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I looked at the data from my long weekend trip to Zion, Bryce, Antelope, Horseshoe, Toadstool, Coral Pink Sands, Wave several years ago and here's what I used:

12-24: 50%
17-40: 11%
24-105: 37%
100-400: 2%

Looking at the details by focal length, there are big humps at 12, 17, and 24, so many of the above were at the short end of the range. I'd estimate:

35% below 15mm
45% 16-30mm
15% 31-100mm
5% >100mm

I replaced the 12-24 with a 10-22 several years ago and suspect the data would be exactly the same if I looked at my Arches, Canyonland, Dead Horse, Fire Kiva trip.

This was all on a 7D, so the same 1.6 sensor.

I'd suggest a 10-18 or 10-22 in addition to what you have. I don't see a need to rent a 70-200. If anything, a 24-105. And I'd say a tripod is a must.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
You don't mention a tripod but if you want to do good landscapes, you need one. Get to the spot before sunrise, set-up on a tripod and shoot from before sunrise til full daylight. Same in the evening - just before sunset until well after. Some of your best images will come after the sun is down.
Yeah, I would love to hit Bryce at sunrise or sunset.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'd suggest sunrise, at the aptly named Sunrise Point. But hike a few hundred feet down Queen's Garden to avoid the "looking down into" perspective of most shots, from folks who just hang out at the rim.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I'm planning a road trip through southern Utah in May. Moab (Arches/Canyonlands), Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.

I have a Canon T6s and a small collection of primes (24mm, 28mm and 50mm).

I don't have much experience with landscape photography, most of what I've shot before is street, so I'm out of my element here. Certainly I could probably just take the 24mm pancake and come back with some great shots, though it would be limiting.

I'll be driving, so I'm not concerned about size limits.

At the moment I'm thinking about just buying the 10-18mm EF-S and perhaps renting the 70-200mm/f4. On hikes I could just take either the 10-18mm or a prime but while shooting from my car I'd be able to cover everything from 10mm to 200mm, for the most part. Thoughts?

Dust, of course, is a big concern in that area so when out hiking I won't want to change lenses. When shooting from my car I can be careful to only switch lenses inside.

Also, does anyone have any recommended photo tours or courses in that area?
I highly recommend Jon Fuller with Moab Photo Tours. He's a great teacher, knows "secret" places and will even do night photography. I know he has been on sabbatical but he might be back by May. If he is available, he can advise and perhaps arrange tours at the other sites. For Monument Valley, you will need a guide to go anywhere off the main road. I spent a day with Ray Begay, who was filling in for his uncle. Morning in Monument Valley, afternoon in Mystery Valley. If you are interested, I can try to find info on him.

You should consider Antelope Canyon as another stop. PM if you would like more info.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Found it. Ray Begay worked with Phillips' Photography in Kayenta AZ. His uncle was Tom Phillips who died only a few weeks after I was there.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeAAttle
I highly recommend Jon Fuller with Moab Photo Tours. He's a great teacher, knows "secret" places and will even do night photography. I know he has been on sabbatical but he might be back by May. If he is available, he can advise and perhaps arrange tours at the other sites. For Monument Valley, you will need a guide to go anywhere off the main road. I spent a day with Ray Begay, who was filling in for his uncle. Morning in Monument Valley, afternoon in Mystery Valley. If you are interested, I can try to find info on him.

You should consider Antelope Canyon as another stop. PM if you would like more info.
Thanks for those tips. Fuller's website says he's back April 2017 so I'll see if I can arrange something since my trip isn't till May.

I'm planning on stopping at Antelope Canyon as stop on the way from the north rim of the Grand Canyon to Kayenta. I may end up spending a night in Page.

As for lenses, CPRich's data is in line with what I've read elsewhere. I think I'll skip the telephoto.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:30 pm

After Capital Reef ,if you have the time , suggest you look into taking UT 12 at Fruita to Bryce.
Kodachrome Basin State Park might interest you
http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/kodachrome-basin/
North Rim Grand Canyou opens May 15. Already has about 58 inches of snow . Since it is at 8300ft elevation you just might have some up there. That could be some intresting photos.
Enjoy..
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TJR9999
After Capital Reef ,if you have the time , suggest you look into taking UT 12 at Fruita to Bryce.
Kodachrome Basin State Park might interest you
http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/kodachrome-basin/
North Rim Grand Canyou opens May 15. Already has about 58 inches of snow . Since it is at 8300ft elevation you just might have some up there. That could be some intresting photos.
Enjoy..
I plan to stay in Cannonville for two nights and hopefully hike the Willis Creek slot canyon in (near?) Kodachrome.

The Grand Canyon definitely might still have snow on the north rim at that time of year but that's why I'm not camping during that part of the trip.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:15 am
Suspended

You did not mention Canyon de Chelly, which is in north-eastern AZ, but quite near Monument Valley and Kayenta. I would not miss that one on this trip as well as the ones you mention.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
You did not mention Canyon de Chelly, which is in north-eastern AZ, but quite near Monument Valley and Kayenta. I would not miss that one on this trip as well as the ones you mention.
I only have so much time so I've decided that one will have to wait unfortunately.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: MP
Canyon de Chelly is quite a distance away, and I don't think it's that worth it. What's worth visiting, however, is the lower Antelope Canyon. You need to get a tour guide to get in (there are plenty). If you can, try to get one of the photography tours because the guide will be more patient in letting you get your photos and sometimes offer helpful tips. I've had a photography tour with an old native american granny named Veera who kept impressing me with her kickass photography tips. I was blown away.

And right next to Antelope Canyon is the horseshoe bend. Also great photogenic spot.

Page (the city where Antelope and Horseshoe bend are located) is a bit of detour between Monument Valley and Grand Canyon. I'd say it's worth a visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.