Wiki Posts
Search

Request: Old AA First Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Request: Old AA First Class

Oddball request but does anyone have any photos of the old (1990's to early 2000's) AA first class cabin? Specifically, I believe they were standalone seats (don't remember how many abreast, but I think it was just one row of 1x1x1) that were beige with a white plush top - sort of similar to the material of old cockpit seats. Possibly ex-TWA or on the 767...

Last edited by RunningforMiles; Dec 9, 2015 at 8:53 am
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
These are from the 767-200. I took them in 2007 but it's the same seats you're describing except they used to have sheepskin on them:

Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:43 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by CMK10
These are from the 767-200. I took them in 2007 but it's the same seats you're describing except they used to have sheepskin on them:

That appears to be the "Captain Kirk" seat, and they were called "wooly mammoth" seats with the sheepskin covering.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
That appears to be the "Captain Kirk" seat, and they were called "wooly mammoth" seats with the sheepskin covering.
That's the one, photos taken before AA 180 JFK-LAX on February 11, 2007. Sorry for the low quality of them, it was my first camera.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I so totally remember those seats with the sheepskin covering... flew in them many, many times in the late 90's on an AA MD-11 between SEA and NRT. The F service in that era included IFE based on a little videocassette player at each seat and a selection of tapes they would hand out. There was also still smoking on those planes.

I looked back through my records and could not find any photos though... since I was traveling for work I didn't have a camera with me and it was before the era of smartphones.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2
I so totally remember those seats with the sheepskin covering... flew in them many, many times in the late 90's on an AA MD-11 between SEA and NRT. The F service in that era included IFE based on a little videocassette player at each seat and a selection of tapes they would hand out. There was also still smoking on those planes.

I looked back through my records and could not find any photos though... since I was traveling for work I didn't have a camera with me and it was before the era of smartphones.
If you look at my picture above, you can see the swing out arm on the bottom left of the first picture where the screen for the IFE player you're talking about was located. By the time I flew the flight they had removed the players and handed out DVD players.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I notice electronic seat controls in your pics. I am nearly 100% certain that the seats I flew in did not have electronic controls. I'm thinking they were in the old-school push-button style but I don't have a specific memory. There were also definitely ash trays.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 6:26 pm

Here's what AA replaced the MD-11 with. This is on a 777 within a year or so after AA introduced them, probably SEA-NRT but possibly in the other direction, just before this route was terminated (and AA closed their mini-base in SEA).

Seems quaint. Many biz class products these days offer superior amenities and comfort to this F from 2001.

Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2
I notice electronic seat controls in your pics. I am nearly 100% certain that the seats I flew in did not have electronic controls. I'm thinking they were in the old-school push-button style but I don't have a specific memory. There were also definitely ash trays.
It's funny because it's a hybrid, the recline is actually done through a push button. AA's Business Class from the 1990's had the same setup.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
I hope I'm not going off topic here, I'm not very familiar with US carrier layouts. Are these 777 pictures of a First Class cabin in a 3-class aircraft?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
I hope I'm not going off topic here, I'm not very familiar with US carrier layouts. Are these 777 pictures of a First Class cabin in a 3-class aircraft?
Here you go, I flew First Class on the AA 777-200 last month:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...aa-f-ib-c.html
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10

Wow, that's it minus the sheepskin! Thank you! Brings back a lot of memories.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Here are 2 more that I found,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jenniferconley/3742775969/sizes/l/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/583279...7625754291929/
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:03 am
formerly rt23456p

Anyone had idea what was the 2-2-2 F seats? I think the 1-2-1 is the one that was used until 772s got their first class removed, is that correct?

Old Aug 11, 2022, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by rt23456p
Anyone had idea what was the 2-2-2 F seats? I think the 1-2-1 is the one that was used until 772s got their first class removed, is that correct?
No, from delivery until the mid 2000s there were two AA 777 configurations:

Atlantic: 1-2-1 First

Pacific: 2-2-2 First

Here are some pictures of the old 2-2-2 style. It was colloquially known as Coffin Class

AA 777 F Pic 1

AA 777 F Pic 2

AA 777 F Pic 3
rt23456p likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.