are point and shoot cameras obsolete?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

are point and shoot cameras obsolete?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: most of them
My phone's camera basically sucks. And I don't think that's because I am especially discriminating. But I agree that low end P&S cameras are becoming obsolete. That's why they are disappearing from the marketplace at a pretty fast clip. High end P&S cameras will survive though I think.

Ultimately as mirrorless cameras continue to improve I think most dSLR's will fall by the wayside as well.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
There are plenty things a P&S can do that a smartphone can't.

For starters it's night photography without the use of a flash, or optical zoom (if you don't something like a Galaxy Camera).

Many older folks like my grandparents use P&S exclusively. Even for me, I find it sometimes a hassle to carry a gigantic SLR around with a bunch of lenses. Yes I have a Nikon D800e with a whole set of zooms, primes, and speciality lenses, but at the end of the day if I'm going out with with a bunch of friends I carry a Sony RX100 Mk2.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaod
Many older folks like my grandparents use P&S exclusively. Even for me, I find it sometimes a hassle to carry a gigantic SLR around with a bunch of lenses. Yes I have a Nikon D800e with a whole set of zooms, primes, and speciality lenses, but at the end of the day if I'm going out with with a bunch of friends I carry a Sony RX100 Mk2.
Agreed. I don't have the gear you have but I still do it that way--if I have a specific objective to photograph it's the D80, for casual shooting it's a S100.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:43 pm

mirrorless cameras have terrible battery life compared to slr. this is because of backlight for the lcd. visibility in sunlight can also be a problem, so I don't see mirrorless replacing SLR. they may cannibalize some though.

I just got back from two weeks in Beijing, Shanghai and Tokyo and was quite surprised at how many PS I saw, especially in Tokyo.

my prediction is a pretty fragmented market, and with different cameras for different purposes. Heavy SLR for serious photog. advanced PS for easy walk about, and phone cameras for really casual use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.