Community
Wiki Posts
Search

camera to use for close up aquarium shots

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:12 am
Original Poster

camera to use for close up aquarium shots

want to grab some pics at some aquariums of sea nettles and other sea creatures up close. any good camera suggestions for possibly crowded places like public aquariums?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:36 pm

whatever camera works for you. However, one that takes a polarizer would probably help with reflection control. and on-camera flash may be a problem
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I have had pretty good luck with high ISO and short telephoto to get close and eliminate the need for flash.

EDIT: Forgot to add specs - 17mm, ISO 8000, f/11, 1/50 sec.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Feb 28, 2014 at 11:01 pm
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:41 pm

abmj, nice.

I had great luck about 10 years ago with just a simple digital PS camera - very surprised at the results. Love jelly shots.

We all need to remember that for us non-pro photogs, goal number one should be to have fun! Don't obsess about gear unless your gear is what's fun.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Camera that's good at shooting in high ISO and capable of using polarize filter.
The best camera for non pro use, IMHO, is Canon 5D Mk III, but that is an expensive camera.
What is your budget?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by kkjay77
Camera that's good at shooting in high ISO and capable of using polarize filter.
The best camera for non pro use, IMHO, is Canon 5D Mk III, but that is an expensive camera.
What is your budget?
Did you really just suggest a $3000 camera in response to a question about 'grabbing some aquarium shots?" There are a lot cheaper cameras capable of shooting high ISO and using a filter.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by cheepneezy
Did you really just suggest a $3000 camera in response to a question about 'grabbing some aquarium shots?" There are a lot cheaper cameras capable of shooting high ISO and using a filter.
I didn't suggest OP to buy 5D. That's why I asked OP's budget.
Without knowing that, can anyone really suggest anything?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
I didn't suggest OP to buy 5D. That's why I asked OP's budget.
Without knowing that, can anyone really suggest anything?
But to even mention a prosumer camera in this discussion is a bit over the top when there are so many other choices that would work.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:15 pm

What is your budget?
Too bad I still don't have the penny to buy that camera, but I really love to have one.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Avis 1st
I've been able to get decent shots by placing the lens directly against the aquarium glass - no polarizing filter, no flash, manual focus, as high an ISO and as wide an aperture as you can manage. A Canon Rebel with a kit lens will work just fine or even a point and shoot if your subjects are not moving too quickly and the light is ok.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelmydreams
I've been able to get decent shots by placing the lens directly against the aquarium glass - no polarizing filter, no flash, manual focus, as high an ISO and as wide an aperture as you can manage. A Canon Rebel with a kit lens will work just fine or even a point and shoot if your subjects are not moving too quickly and the light is ok.
You'll also want to keep the shutter speed pretty quick since fish rarely stand still

The ISO can help compensate very nicely for this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.