Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

To backpack or not to backpack? For DSLR and ipad/laptop.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.

I've tried backpacks in the past and hated them but now I'm a full time film & tv college student and lugging that heavy shoulder bag or pulling my beloved pilot bag is getting to me. My commute to campus is just over an hour. Another reason for me to look at backpacks is that I can't wait for the weather to get better so I can take my bike out and bike around the city with my camera.

I'm starting to look at bags designated to carrying camera and laptop, like the tenba bag where the padded camera compartment can be removed.

Or the slimlined lowepro that will take a camera and ipad.

Either are currentlly at around $100 each.

BTW tried a slingback once. I couldn't return it back to the store fast enough.

Backpackers, please help.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The problem I have had with dedicated camera or camera/laptop backpacks is that they rarely have space for anything else. When I am out and about with my camera - or traveling by air with same - I very much want to be able to carry a jacket, snack, water, maybe a book or other odds and ends and anything else that I might want or need while on the plane or wherever I am shooting. I have 3 camera packs in the junk closet that didn't fill the bill.

My solution was a regular laptop day pack (Targa but any will work) with an added camera insert that leaves extra space. As indicated in a couple of other threads, my favorite turned out to be the Krumpler Haven. It has traveled over a hundred thousand miles with me now and is still the best for my needs, which include a small laptop, DSLR with 3 lenses, extra batteries, cards and other gear and extra room for other stuff and a small flash and tripod in the pack. It comes in various sizes to accommodate small, medium and large cameras.

http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Haven...ref=pd_sim_p_5
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I have a really nice caselogic DSLR/laptop backpack. It's heavy and it sucks to carry. Just bought a rolling tote instead.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Poster

That Domke bag is a good idea.

The tenba bag I'm thinking about is this

http://www.tenba.com/Products/Discovery-Photo-Laptop-Daypack-Large-SageKhaki.aspx

Or this lowepro
http://www.lowepro.com/photo-hatchback-aw
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
I'm pretty happy with my LowePro Photo 200 Backpack

http://www.adorama.com/LPPS200BK.htm...FQxo7Aodl2AA5A

The camera section is fairly roomy - it holds my Pentax K-3 with either the 18-135 or 55-300 attached and a couple of other small-medium-sized lenses. If the bottom compartment is full, then my flash goes in the top (otherwise it will fit in the bottom). You can access the camera from the side and from the front. The upper compartment is probably about 8x4x5 - roomy enough assorted bits and bobs for daily life (but not textbooks). There is a zip pocket on top and one on the inside. The bladder reservoir in the back holds my 11.6" Asus computer. The padded waist strap provides a lot of support and stability, and there are a couple of small zip pockets in it. It also has a raincover and an external pocket on the front. I like it because it lightweight and it has a fairly low profile - doesn't stick out too much in back so I think it would be fairly balanced if you're biking. It also has a chest strap.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:54 pm

To the backpacking crew, those are daypacks. What we think of when you say backpack is being out on the trail for a week, such as this:

The holster for the camera is on the opposite side, so it is not visible in the photo. The key, though, is that the camera is readily accessible, but yet protected. Otherwise, I will too often pass on a photo opportunity if I have to take my backpack off.

The same can be said for camera bags. If I have to remove my daypack camera bag to get to my camera, I am less likely to do so. As such, I do use a LowePro Slingshot 100AW or 202AW. It protects the camera when not in use and I can readily store my camera instead of it being exposed all the time. I know that you stated you did not like a sling; perhaps it might depend on the sling bag. I have tried other slings that are far from comfortable.

Lastly, I just don't like the look of a daypack being carried in full-on mode. To me, it just looks geeky and out of place in most situations outside of a hiking trail. YMMV
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

backpack, daypack... It hangs on my back, I can pack things in it, in my language there is one word for such bags and it translates to backpacks.

Sorry if that confuses you. I hope you still understand what I mean.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Don't worry. We understood you. I see where the other poster is coming from; in mountaineering/backpacking circles (of which I was one before I got old) a backpack has some sort of internal or external frame and other features for packing loads for multi-day trips. A daypack is usually a simple rucksack, sometimes with a simple internal frame, sometimes not, designed for hauling odds and ends around during a day trip, without overnight gear. It is a bit pedantic as some backpacks are as small and light as a large daypack and some daypacks can load enough stuff for an overnight - or in this case, a fair amount of camera gear.

Just semantics.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Emma65
backpack, daypack... It hangs on my back, I can pack things in it, in my language there is one word for such bags and it translates to backpacks.

Sorry if that confuses you. I hope you still understand what I mean.
No reason to get defensive over this. Your statement was, "Backpackers, please help." I was just imparting a little knowledge, but you certainly took it the wrong way, which was not my intent. After all, when one goes backpacking, are these bags what they carry on their back?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I see where the other poster is coming from; in mountaineering/backpacking circles (of which I was one before I got old) a backpack has some sort of internal or external frame and other features for packing loads for multi-day trips.
I am certainly no spring chicken (probably twice as old as the OP), but still try to get out there. This past summer on Mt. Sneffels, I ran into a gentlemen who was 71 climbing. And just a few years ago on my way up Mt. Democrat and Mt. Lincoln, I climbed with a gentlemen that went to the same college as my father at the same time. Boy, did that make me feel like a wimp.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

What you should do is find a decent fitting pack, not too small. And carry your camera gear in an internal case that has some padding, something like the cases from guragear:http://www.guragear.com/pouches-cases/. But there are plenty of others that offer something simular.

This way you can use any pack, and carry other items as well. Something that dedicated photo packs are not great for. And a decent pack can also serve for multiple other uses.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a Lowepro backpack that I used to use on my international travels. The problem with it was that getting to gear was always a production number: take off the backpack, find a place to set it down, unzip it, remove the piece of gear, zip it up, put it back on while juggling the gear.

Recently I bought a Lowepro Event Messenger 250 for my Canon 60D. It's ideal for transportation and casual carrying. When I want to be faster and more mobile, or just take a subset of my, e.g. camera and one extra lens or camera and speedlite, I have a Rick Steves day pack that does the trick. It has no padding, so it just crumples up into a tiny ball which takes up no room in my suitcase, roll-a-board or pocket, it protects the gear from rain (though probably not a true soaking), and it's very convenient. I just returned from Prague and Krakow and found the combination of the Event Messenger and the day pack to work really well. The only addition I'm making is an Ewa Marine rain cape for the camera, which is also "pocketable."
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
I have a Lowepro backpack that I used to use on my international travels. The problem with it was that getting to gear was always a production number: take off the backpack, find a place to set it down, unzip it, remove the piece of gear, zip it up, put it back on while juggling the gear.

Recently I bought a Lowepro Event Messenger 250 for my Canon 60D. It's ideal for transportation and casual carrying. When I want to be faster and more mobile, or just take a subset of my, e.g. camera and one extra lens or camera and speedlite, I have a Rick Steves day pack that does the trick. It has no padding, so it just crumples up into a tiny ball which takes up no room in my suitcase, roll-a-board or pocket, it protects the gear from rain (though probably not a true soaking), and it's very convenient. I just returned from Prague and Krakow and found the combination of the Event Messenger and the day pack to work really well. The only addition I'm making is an Ewa Marine rain cape for the camera, which is also "pocketable."
Couldn't agree more. If I have to remove the pack to get to my camera gear, I am less likely to do so. It has to be much more readily accessible such as your messenger bag. That is why I do like the LowePro Slingshot (and it has a built-in rain cover).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Couldn't agree more. If I have to remove the pack to get to my camera gear, I am less likely to do so. It has to be much more readily accessible such as your messenger bag. That is why I do like the LowePro Slingshot (and it has a built-in rain cover).
I tried the Lowepro Slingshot 102 AW on for size in-store and liked all the features such as easy access to the DSLR, padding, ability to carry a tripod/monopod on the side and rain cover but there wasn't pockets or pouches for water bottle and little storage space for personal items and no ability to hold much more than a cell phone and not a tablet or e-reader.

I looked at the Lowepro Event Messenger 250 as it does have external pockets, can hold a tablet, laptop or e-reader in a special pocket and has a bit of flat storage for maps or magazines but as a messenger bag if loaded could weigh on one shoulder instead of evening out the weight as a backpack would. A big plus is it doesn't scream 'camera bag' and is fairly stylish to use as a personal item on aircraft.

Lastly the Lowepro Passport Backpack offers some versatility with a separate removable padded camera insert so the bag could be used as a normal backpack if necessary, has two side pockets for umbrella or water bottle but no weather cover and no external monopod holder. It is a backpack so if being worn for long periods sightseeing or hiking would distribute the weight more evenly.

I'm leaning toward the Event Messenger and then if needed a super light nylon day bag as PTravel has done but does anyone have any input on either of the last two bags?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
I'm pretty happy with my LowePro Photo 200 Backpack

http://www.adorama.com/LPPS200BK.htm...FQxo7Aodl2AA5A
Another vote for the Lowepro PhotoSport.

Its a got a separate camera compartment with side access - so you all you need to do is take the backpack off one shoulder and swing it round to get the camera in out.

Also has a water bottle holder on the side, rain cover, enough room in the top compartment to fit iPad, travel documents, jumper, spray jacket, wallet, snacks, iPhone, keys etc.

On the back has a section to fit a water bladder when planning a long day of hiking/adventuring which I also found fitted my 13" Macbook Pro at a tight squeeze.

Comfortable straps with a waist harness as well.

I took it all around Peru including the 3 day Lares hike. Was perfect. It's an ideal size for carryon as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.