Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yak Hunting in Liberia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Yak Hunting in Liberia

There's just something fascinating and evocative about old abandoned airplanes.

Join me on a photo essay from Roberts Field, Liberia, where we visit a decomposing Yak-40....

http://www.askthepilot.com/yak-hunting-in-liberia/

"...We see these planes as monuments, perhaps? To the men and women who flew them, to the passengers who rode aboard them — and most extraordinary of all, to the the places these planes have been. The difference between the peculiar grandeur of an old abandoned building, for instance, and that of an old abandoned airplane, is that the building existed only in a fixed location. Airplanes, they’ve been everywhere..."

Patrick Smith
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Hey now that's cool!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:57 am

Very interesting article.

I recently read Merchant of Death: Money, Guns, Planes, and the Man Who Makes War Possible, and I wonder if that Yak was one of the planes that was in Victor Bout's fleet.

Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Looks like it may have been.

Last edited by sparkchaser; Jan 22, 2014 at 8:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.