Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Anyone had hands-on with the Canon 70D yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)

The spec for this camera looks awesome and one will probably be coming my wife's way for her birthday in September. Has anyone actually had a play with one yet?

Last edited by roberino; Jul 8, 2013 at 3:27 am
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:44 pm

pre-order only so far at B H Photo.

The only hands on reviews you'll find are from Canon demo units sent to reviewers.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It's not available until September so extremely unlikely any consumers here have hands on experience. DPR and others have pre-production (p)reviews.

I've seen a video of the new focusing system and it's many times better than the current Cannon contrast detect system. But that's only useful is you use Live View or shoot video which I've done maybe 5 times in the 4 years I've owned my 7D. I guess it's useful for those who want to shoot holding the camera out in space with both hands - and the subsequent blurred images.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Costco had a 7d with flash was 1795 now $1400.00 last one...

Still more fps than the new 70d, but no flip view finder like the 60d

I'll keep the 7d, buy a new lens, and spend a buck with Scott Kelby.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by satman40
Costco had a 7d with flash was 1795 now $1400.00 last one...

Still more fps than the new 70d, but no flip view finder like the 60d

I'll keep the 7d, buy a new lens, and spend a buck with Scott Kelby.
Not sure I'd agree with that. The 70d has a faster processor, more pixels, the new dual pixel autofocus, higher ISO, rotating touchscreen, WiFi and app-based remote control. The 7D is now nearly 5 years old and due for replacement in the next six months or so, and which, rumour has it, will be around $2000 body-only. That's out of budget for the birthday fund...
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roberino
Not sure I'd agree with that. The 70d has a faster processor, more pixels, the new dual pixel autofocus, higher ISO, rotating touchscreen, WiFi and app-based remote control. The 7D is now nearly 5 years old and due for replacement in the next six months or so, and which, rumour has it, will be around $2000 body-only. That's out of budget for the birthday fund...
This was kind of my impression, too. I'm really leaning to the 70D...
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
This was kind of my impression, too. I'm really leaning to the 70D...
Couldn't wait. I've ordered it from Adorama.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberino
Couldn't wait. I've ordered it from Adorama.
It should be delivered the Tuesday after Labor Day. I'll have it the week after and Mrs Roberino will unwrap it on the 19th!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:15 am

I've got one on order from Adorama too, but didn't order until late August, currently says backordered. Can't wait to get it. I'm upgrading from a 40d.

Edit: And I just moved myself to the back of the line there. Canceled this order, and placed it again with the Canon Pixma Pro-100 printer and a pack of photo paper. Added $399 on to my order, qualify for a $400 rebate. Couldn't resist. I already have a Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II, don't really think I'll switch printing systems yet, but I couldn't pass up a free printer (not to mention a 50 pack of 13x19 paper). Also, as this is FlyerTalk, more credit card miles (and spend for the $10k on the HHonors Reserve) and more through the United MP Shopping Mall.

Last edited by penner42; Sep 3, 2013 at 8:20 am
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:44 pm

1 week in with the 70D, and so far I'm a big fan. Of course, I am probably weighing my use heavier than the average user towards video.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:51 am
Original Poster

It's here!

It's arrived in time for Mrs Roberino's birthday and she is blown away by it. She was expecting a 700D, so the 70D was a massive surprise. Initial thoughts after the 5 minutes that she would let me touch it...

1. I generally love the form and the positioning of all the switches and dials. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the shape of the right-hand grip, which digs in a touch on my right middle finger and could be slightly softer. Mrs R loves it though.

2. The touch screen is superb for image clarity, for handling of photos in the memory (for review) as it operates very much like a smart phone. I'm also a fan of the single-touch focussing methodology on the touch screen when in live-view mode. The response from the camera and lens is virtually instant.

3. The image quality is amazing. I put my Canon 50mm f1.8 on my 600D and she put hers on the 70D. We both took the same photos of stuff in our living room using a combination of natural light from the window and two lamps either side of us. We both used f1.8, 100ms, ISO400 and found that the image clarity and colour in the 70D was consistently better than the 600D.

4. The iPhone app is brilliant. We were able to use it to trigger shots from 30m with no trouble at all.

All in all I think I may have to buy one of these for myself before too long. I just cannot see the argument for going to a 7D mkI with this level of capability at this price. The 7D mkII is going to have to be pretty special to justify the rumoured extra spend.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:04 am

I've had mine a while too now. I also have a small issue with the right hand grip, it's a bit too small. Bending my fingers around it causes them to cramp up a little. I'm sure I'll get used to it and find a way to hold it so that doesn't happen.

I'm loving just about everything else about it. It's taking some getting used to since the controls have moved quite a bit from the 40D (I keep flipping the Lock switch instead of turning it on or off, and I keep tapping a non-existent button to get to image playback mode.) But I'll get used to that, too. Image quality is great and the screen is amazing.

Still waiting on my backordered L-plate from Really Right Stuff. My plate from the 40D attaches and works, but it doesn't sit on it quite right.

Here's a video quality sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj10W...ature=youtu.be Seems to default to 720p on YouTube so you might have to change it to 1080p to get the best quality.

ETA: Also wanted to say my $400 rebate is now "Payment Approved." Adorama has the 70D same price as everywhere else, $1199. The Pixma Pro-100 printer is $399 and they throw in a pack of SG-201 13x19 paper if you buy the printer. The rebate is $400 for buying all three. Must order by 9/30. Also 2 miles/$ through the United MP mall.

Last edited by penner42; Sep 23, 2013 at 1:02 pm
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm waiting on the 7D II (not expected until late next year), but good reviews of the 70D are a positive sign for what to expect with the 7D II.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: LANPASS, Aerolineas PLUS
By far the best all around Canon camera at the moment. xD, x00, x0, name it, and they don't beat this one.
PROs:
- It's a jack of all trades.
- Video AF works, I mean it really works! The new tech they put on this camera will now be the standard for every other Canon, but as right now, is the ONLY CANON THAT HAS WORKING VIDEO AF.
- Photo quality is very good. If you don't use video though, go for a 5DmII whose price is sinking and it's an amazing full frame sensor.
- The 18-135mm bundled STM is the perfect one for trips, silent video autofocus, big range. You won't need another unless shooting moving subjects in low light and no flash. Bring the cheapo 50mm 1.8 for those moments. And for subjects really far away, the MP count is enough for cropping. C'mon, who ever prints a wall sized vacation photo?
- The app as mentioned above, is great. Remote shooting/viewfinder/quick photoshare if you are a social guy (e.g. journalist).

CONS
- The build. It's a xxD, not a xD, don't expect it to be weather sealed. Still feels/grips better than xxxDs.
- Not the best if you don't plan to grab any videos.

Couldn't resist and I got one (also have a 5DmII which I still use as main body for pro photo shoots). The 7DmII won't be out for a while, and other than being weather sealed and a few more FPS, don't see how it will be a better investment as it will be priced quite higher.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a 70D on Friday and love it.It replaces my Rebel xTi/400D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.