Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Canon people: Which 70-200mm should I get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 11:08 am
Original Poster

I'm finally in the market for a 70-200mm lens.

There are four different options:

70-200mm f/4
70-200mm f/4 IS
70-200mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 IS

Do any of you have any experience comparing the four lenses?

Is the extra stop worth the extra cost jumping up to the f/2.8?

The 70-200mm f/2.8 IS is very heavy - over three pounds. Is it nice enough of a lens that it's worth carrying the extra weight in a backpack all day (vs, say the 1.68 lb f/4 IS)?
Old May 29, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold
All things being equal, there isn't much need to go for the f2.8 lens if you don't need it (only journalism comes to mind). With higher-ISO speeds as good as they are, at least with newer bodies, you can always double your ISO get get the exposure benefits of an f2.8 lens.

bert
Old May 29, 2013, 4:06 pm

I personally own the 70-200 f/2.8, NON-IS. You may not feel the need for 2.8; however for a reasonable amount of $, you can put a 1.4 or 2x teleconverter on your 2.8 and a F-stop or 2. So with a $500 2x teleconverter your 70-200 2.8 is now a 140-400/5.6 Lens. Whereas the f/4 would become f/8. The extra reach at lower f was something I desired.

Because of the weight of the IS, I'd most likely end up using it on a monopod/tripod and those negating some of the premium price of the IS and thus went with the non-IS.

tehiota
Old May 29, 2013, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I used the 4 IS for quite a while and now the 2.8 IS II.

I wouldn't recommend either of the non-IS ones as they are older with slightly inferior optics compared to the IS version of both lenses.

I considered the 2.8 IS II to be the best EF/EF-S mount lens I've ever owned. It's simply flawless. Incredibly sharp at 2.8; super fast and silent focus; extremely well built. And I also carry the 1.4x III most times when I need more reach.

The only downside of this lens is its price and its weight and bulk. I am talking about when I have to carry it around when traveling. It is extremely well balanced when I am shooting it on a 7D - not too heavy or big. Just when I am carrying it from place to place. That's the only time when I missed the 4 IS.

So, think how much time you're using it when traveling and how you travel... In a car is not a problem apparently.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bertsirkin
All things being equal, there isn't much need to go for the f2.8 lens if you don't need it (only journalism comes to mind). With higher-ISO speeds as good as they are, at least with newer bodies, you can always double your ISO get get the exposure benefits of an f2.8 lens.
That's actually an excellent point. I currently have an XTi, which only goes to ISO1600 and isn't very usable. However a lot of the newer bodies go up to 6400 or beyond and the higher ISOs are much more usable.

Because my travel habits often involve me lugging a backpack around all day (as opposed to driving everywhere), weight is a serious consideration for me. I wonder if the f/4 IS + a newer body (with better ISOs) is the best combination for my situation.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by MastaHanky
That's actually an excellent point. I currently have an XTi, which only goes to ISO1600 and isn't very usable. However a lot of the newer bodies go up to 6400 or beyond and the higher ISOs are much more usable.

Because my travel habits often involve me lugging a backpack around all day (as opposed to driving everywhere), weight is a serious consideration for me. I wonder if the f/4 IS + a newer body (with better ISOs) is the best combination for my situation.
To be honest, with that camera, I'd seriously consider going with the 70-300 IS. It's not an L lens, but for a non-L it's generally considered to be a very good quality lens. Obviously, it is a variable aperature, and starts at 4, so depending on just how dark of areas you plan on taking pictures in, that can be an issue. It's a little lighter than the f/4 IS.

Obviously a lot depends on what you're planning on using it for. I own the 700-300 IS myself (and actually, it's with an XTI), and so far most of my purposes I've been very happy with it. Given that I'm entirely a hobbyist, and never plan on making money with my photography, I've found it difficult to justify paying significantly more for a lens that's got a shorter reach, even if it is a better quality lens. However, when I go through the photos I've taken over the years, of the ones that I'm truly proud of, a number of these were taken with that lens.

The rotating front on this lens is a little annoying though, means you can't really use a polarizing filter on it.

Course, it was also an easier decision to make when I bought it 5 years ago, since it was about $150 less than it is now.

(I've tried doing the trick of taping the pins and using a TC with the 70-300, because I know some people have had success with it, but I've never had a lot of luck so far. I think at least part of that is that it's definitely marginal to do that on an XTI, and a newer camera I think I might have a little better luck with.)
Old May 30, 2013, 12:48 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
I also have a 70-200 F2.8ISII, which I bought after trading in an older Sigma 70-200 F2.8.

The 70-200 F2.8ISII is on a par sharpness wise with my 300F2.8 IS. It is that good.

If you can afford it, then you won't be disappointed.

Another option to consider is the new 70-300L f4-f5.6 IS. It would be a good bit lighter than the 70-200 F2.8 & give you some extra reach.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by piper28
To be honest, with that camera, I'd seriously consider going with the 70-300 IS.

Obviously a lot depends on what you're planning on using it for. I own the 700-300 IS myself (and actually, it's with an XTI), and so far most of my purposes I've been very happy with it. Given that I'm entirely a hobbyist, and never plan on making money with my photography, I've found it difficult to justify paying significantly more for a lens that's got a shorter reach, even if it is a better quality lens.
Interesting perspective. I am purely a hobbyist too and have no intention on ever being more than that. I hadn't really considered the 75-300 IS - I have a 75-300 non-IS that I was unimpressed with and it has been sitting around collecting dust. I didn't think the IS version would be that much of an improvement. Right now I've been using the 18-200mm as a walkaround lens and also use it for telephoto (although it's mediocre at that too). The extra reach of the 300mm is definitely a selling point.

I guess I may need to take a step back and evaluate more than just a lens. I was planning on upgrading my body because it's been to hell-and-back and it shows. It's been dropped, had beer spilled on it, rained on, you name it. I was considering upgrading to a 50D or a 60D because of the weather sealing. But the GPS feature of the T4i is a huge selling point for me (I take my camera on every trip). Perhaps a T4i + 75-300 IS would be a better use of my money.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by tehiota
I personally own the 70-200 f/2.8, NON-IS. You may not feel the need for 2.8; however for a reasonable amount of $, you can put a 1.4 or 2x teleconverter on your 2.8 and a F-stop or 2. So with a $500 2x teleconverter your 70-200 2.8 is now a 140-400/5.6 Lens. Whereas the f/4 would become f/8. The extra reach at lower f was something I desired.

Because of the weight of the IS, I'd most likely end up using it on a monopod/tripod and those negating some of the premium price of the IS and thus went with the non-IS.

tehiota
Yep, my sentiment exactly. I own a 70-200/2.8 non-IS + 2X converter. With this setup, I now have 70-400/2.8-5.6 lens that I feel is more versatile than owning two separate 70-200 + 100-400 lenses.

I also carry a tripod whenever I have the need to use the 70-200; so IS has not been in my equation so far.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:05 pm

Interesting perspective. I am purely a hobbyist too and have no intention on ever being more than that. I hadn't really considered the 75-300 IS - I have a 75-300 non-IS that I was unimpressed with and it has been sitting around collecting dust. I didn't think the IS version would be that much of an improvement. Right now I've been using the 18-200mm as a walkaround lens and also use it for telephoto (although it's mediocre at that too). The extra reach of the 300mm is definitely a selling point.
The 75-300 non-IS lens was definitely considered to be a subpar lens. The 70-300 IS (note, 70, not 75) was a significant improvement optically over it, it's not the same lens with IS slapped on it.

That 70-300 IS L lens also looks like it has a lot of potential, although at twice the price. But it looks like they went with a similar design and improved it with the better USM motor. Probably has better IS too since it's a newer lens. Same aperature range though.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Air India Star Gold, JetPrivilege, Marriott Silver, Accor Platinum, SPG,
I'm finally in the market for a 70-200mm lens.
What will you be using the lens for? Plane spotting? Portrait?

I am not a Canon user, but I do use the Nikon 70~200 f/2.8 and simply put, it is one of the finest lenses made by Nikon, and I have heard the same from my Canon friends about the f/2.8 IS in Canon.

If you want to do plane spotting, the 100~400 is a long time favourite of many.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
If weight is a concern, you might want to look at the 70-300 DO IS. It uses diffractive optics which make it a lot more compact, but it's not expensive, and it does have some unique optical characteristics.

I have the 70-200 f4 non IS, and I find it to be a great lens. Unless I am planning a dedicated spotting trip, I take that over my Sigma 80-400 OS, with a 1.4x TC. The weight savings are significant (I believe the 80-400 is about the same as a 70-200 f2.8, weight wise). If you don't need the low light performance, then you should look at the F4, based on size/weight alone.

Optically, the 70-200 f2.8 IS II is amazing from what I hear. If it really is on par with the 300 2.8 IS / IS II then it's more than amazing. I have not shot with any 70-200 2.8 but I have with a 300 2.8 IS. The f4 version non-IS is pretty good, more when you consider the lens is only $700 or so (I believe I paid $640 back in 2011), and it's lightweight enough that the IS isn't really necessary unless the shutter speed starts getting low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.