Wiki Posts
Search

Comet Ison

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Comet Ison

By the end of summer it will become visible in small telescopes and binoculars. By October it will pass close to Mars and things will begin to stir. The surface will shift as the ice responds to the thermal shock, cracks will appear in the crust, tiny puffs of gas will rise from it as it is warmed. The comet's tail is forming.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...y-8431443.html

I can't wait for the photo reports. Heh!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by PropWasher
By the end of summer it will become visible in small telescopes and binoculars. By October it will pass close to Mars and things will begin to stir. The surface will shift as the ice responds to the thermal shock, cracks will appear in the crust, tiny puffs of gas will rise from it as it is warmed. The comet's tail is forming.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...y-8431443.html

I can't wait for the photo reports. Heh!
Me too! I was just listening to a report about this today on the radio. This sounds like it could be really exciting - a very different comet, potentially close enough to view with the naked eye, possibly bright enough to even be seen in daylight. Yes!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by chollie
- a very different comet, potentially close enough to view with the naked eye, possibly bright enough to even be seen in daylight. Yes!
If the claim that it will be as bright as a full moon are correct, it would be spectacular.

And there's also 2014-L4 (PanSTARRS), which could be very bright in the March/April timeframe.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
And there's also 2014-L4 (PanSTARRS), which could be very bright in the March/April timeframe.
Mentioned in the Independent article.

Remarkably Ison might not be the only spectacular comet visible next year. Another comet, called 2014 L4 (PanSTARRS), was discovered last year and in March and April it could also be a magnificent object in the evening sky. 2013 could be the year of the great comets.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Waiting for ISON

The jury is out on ISON's potential, but...

Complete Guide to Photographing Comet ISON

http://waitingforison.wordpress.com/...ng-comet-ison/

Comet ISON: A Viewing Guide from Now to Perihelion

http://www.universetoday.com/104818/...to-perihelion/

Last edited by PropWasher; Sep 25, 2013 at 3:13 pm
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
Ison and more.. http://www.svherald.com/content/comm...3/11/02/362194
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The latest updates that I've read, and the tracking of actual brightness vs. predictive models, aren't very promising. Two I've read today say that viewing with the naked eye are unlikely - far from "bright as the moon" hoped for earlier.

But who knows?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:42 pm

I was really looking forward to this all year but the latest reports aren't looking too promising. Although, anything is better than nothing. I have started to see some pictures that people are able to get with long exposures so there still is something to see.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Big dud?

Members of the group's Facebook page spotted what may be the remnants of ISON in satellite images soon after experts at NASA's Google Hangout on ISON said it looked like the comet had broken up and melted into the sun.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Looks like it survived to some extent. Here is some nice video of it approaching and leaving the sun.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/...l#.UpmbhsW9KSM
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does look like something survived, and the video is quite cool.

But I'm pretty sure the "visible in daylight", "brighter than the moon" isn't happening. My local 10-day forecast is Cloudy, Cloudy, Cloudy, etc.... so I'll never know. The next 10 days, right before sunrise, would be peak viewing.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by CPRich
It does look like something survived, and the video is quite cool.

But I'm pretty sure the "visible in daylight", "brighter than the moon" isn't happening. My local 10-day forecast is Cloudy, Cloudy, Cloudy, etc.... so I'll never know. The next 10 days, right before sunrise, would be peak viewing.
I think you mean "right after sunset" - it was "right before sunrise" prior to the plunge, at least from the pictures I saw people taking a couple weeks ago.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. It whipped around the sun and is heading back the way it came. 30 minutes before sunrise is the best viewing.

But at +5 and fading, it again doesn't appear that there will be anything to see.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's dead, Jim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.