Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canon T3i

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Canon T3i

I've been eyeing the T2i for a while, and had wondered what the next Rebel would be. Now that the T3i is out, I'm wondering what the big improvement is. Seems like a bunch of new casual-user focus software enhancements, articulated screen (nice for some), and and the flash remote control.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nkedel
I've been eyeing the T2i for a while, and had wondered what the next Rebel would be. Now that the T3i is out, I'm wondering what the big improvement is. Seems like a bunch of new casual-user focus software enhancements, articulated screen (nice for some), and and the flash remote control.
I have the 550D/T2i and am quite happy with it. I can't say you would need a tilt screen unless you'r really into filming. For the rest I can't say any of the "enhancements" do it for me... I would look for a good deal on the 550D and put the money you've saved over a 600D aside to safe for a good quality lens.

I have the 17-85 now as walk around lens(isn't to expensive and better than the kit lens) and am saving now for a L series 70-200 lens for sports photography.

Edit: Just bought the 550D half a year ago and thought it was new. Now it's old again... oh you can't keep up with them...
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was about to buy a T2i, so I'm glad I waited. And now I look at the T3i, I assume the T4i will be out soon. Though I've also heard good things about the T5i.

This is an expensive hobby
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thomas199023
I have the 550D/T2i and am quite happy with it. I can't say you would need a tilt screen unless you'r really into filming. For the rest I can't say any of the "enhancements" do it for me... I would look for a good deal on the 550D and put the money you've saved over a 600D aside to safe for a good quality lens.
I've got a 400D and plenty of lenses, but $110 (current Amazon pricing T2i is $687 vs. MSRP/Amazon preorder of $799 for the body-only T3i) saved is still $110 saved.

I guess they had to get the tilt-screen to stay competitive, but this feels like a really mild refresh to keep both models out there. Maybe the software improvements would be a bigger deal to someone who did more processing in-camera, but as an old film hand I just set the thing on raw and worry about everything else later.

I have the 17-85 now as walk around lens(isn't to expensive and better than the kit lens) and am saving now for a L series 70-200 lens for sports photography.
/2.8 or /4?

I got the 15-85 a bit over a year ago, and while I love the quality and the extra bit at the wide end compared to the 17-85, it's enough heavier that I'm not sure there's a clear winner between the two.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
/2.8 or /4?

I got the 15-85 a bit over a year ago, and while I love the quality and the extra bit at the wide end compared to the 17-85, it's enough heavier that I'm not sure there's a clear winner between the two.
The /4 but it works fine for me and is quite sharp from 20mm till 70mm. It's a good walk around and holiday lens. For the bigger mm I'm saving for the /4 70-200 for that price it is really good value, and I don't shoot in low light situation a lot so...
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by ScottC
I was about to buy a T2i, so I'm glad I waited. And now I look at the T3i, I assume the T4i will be out soon. Though I've also heard good things about the T5i.

I actually told someone the other day I was holding out for the T6i.

I do have a T2i though and in regards of 2 vs 3 I would wait it out if you need. I would love a flip screen. But I also realize that many people could care less.

That said, if the price difference is drastic, the T2i is a great camera and the extra money can go to lenses.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by ScottC

I find it helps to get out and take photos. The new Canon looks sweet BTW and even comes with built in wireless flash control for the hardcore photography types.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
I'm leaning towards one of the T?i Models
and thought my decision was tough between just the T1 and T2
Now there's two more models in the mix

Had pretty much decided that a refurb, from Canon, T1 kit was the way to go.
Just can't mentally justify the price difference between 1 and 2
Now with T3/4 perhaps the price of the T2 will be coming down

is the T2, all that?
Anyone here made the step up from 1 to 2?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windwalker
is the T2, all that?
Anyone here made the step up from 1 to 2?
The T2i and T3i has the newer sensor design, very similar to what's in the 7D and 50D/60D. The T1i is an older-design sensor, and most of the reviews I saw say it is not comparable to the one in the newer cameras in low light despite the high megapixel rating (especially when compared directly to the contemporaneous 50D).

If you ever plan to do video (many people won't; I don't get the appeal of it on a DSLR) the video capabilities of the T2i/T3i are much improved over the T1i,

Whether either of those is worth the $125-$150 difference between the T1i ($529 on Amazon today) and T2i ($670 on Amazon today) is anyone's guess. The T1i is officially being discontinued (being replaced by the T2i, with the T3i taking the latter's old place) but should remain in the pipeline for while.

If you're willing to wait and are looking at the T1i, the other camera to look at is the upcoming T3 (non-i/1100D) which replaces the XS (non-i/1000D) as their entry level model. That will get you many of the software upgrades from the T3i and should have the newer-style sensor (and in some ways being limited to only 12MP is a plus for image quality) at a lower price. On the other hand, as a brand new model and sensor I wouldn't even consider it until detailed reviews are out just in case it turns out to be a flop.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
If you ever plan to do video (many people won't; I don't get the appeal of it on a DSLR) the video capabilities of the T2i/T3i are much improved over the T1i,
The DSLR gives video a different feel than standard HD video cameras. Plus, they offer a portability with an amazing sensor, giving people like me, who can't afford a really nice HD video camera, a nice option.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:22 am

Whether either of those is worth the $125-$150 difference between the T1i ($529 on Amazon today) and T2i ($670 on Amazon today) is anyone's guess. The T1i is officially being discontinued (being replaced by the T2i, with the T3i taking the latter's old place) but should remain in the pipeline for while.
well I do have $410 of free money, finders-fee for a company from a couple years ago, in the form of Visa Gift Cards
Old Feb 14, 2011, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windwalker
well I do have $410 of free money, finders-fee for a company from a couple years ago, in the form of Visa Gift Cards
Decisions, decisions. That's a good chunk of the cost of any of them, but obviously a bigger part of the T1i and the smallest (about half) of the T3i assuming you already have a lens you want to keep using.

Personally, the T2i still looks like the best deal; the big improvement on the T3i is in the software and UI for manual overrides and jpg controls - if you do a lot of that, rather than RAW, it's worth a more detailed look at the reviews.

For my own use (mostly raw, as I noted above) it doesn't seem like it offers much over the T2i.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:35 am

Difference between canon T3i and T2i.

Major difference between Canon T3i vs. Canon T2i

- Auto Lighting Optimizer now adjustable in 4 levels
- Feature Guide
- Integrated Wireless flash controller with multi-flash support
- 'Video Snapshot' mode
- Eye sensor for LCD display replaced by 'DISP' button
- Marginally larger and heavier
- Vari-angle display
- Scene intelligent Auto Mode
- 'Basic+' creative controls in scene modes
- 'Creative Filters' can be applied to images in playback mode
- Multi-aspect ratio shooting (3:2, 4:3, 16:9, 1:1, previewable in Live View)

Last edited by sbm12; Feb 16, 2011 at 3:38 am Reason: removed commercial-ish link
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marshal
Major difference between Canon T3i vs. Canon T2i
Which can be divided into hardware changes and software, I think. Hardware:
- Eye sensor for LCD display replaced by 'DISP' button
- Marginally larger and heavier
- Vari-angle display
- Integrated Wireless flash controller with multi-flash support
Software:
- Auto Lighting Optimizer now adjustable in 4 levels
- Feature Guide
- 'Video Snapshot' mode
- Scene intelligent Auto Mode
- 'Basic+' creative controls in scene modes
- 'Creative Filters' can be applied to images in playback mode
- Multi-aspect ratio shooting (3:2, 4:3, 16:9, 1:1, previewable in Live View)
Are any of the software changes applicable when shooting raw? Possibly the scene IA? (Aspect ratio may apply a crop in raw mode, but it seems like a non-feature. Extra pixels never hurt.)
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:41 pm

Bit the bullet on the T2
Canon Loyalty program for 550, shipped with 18-55 lens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.