Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Exposure Photos - Post Yours!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:38 pm
jtn

Programs: UA 1K
Pardon the noob question. How do you deterimine the exposure time for these types of shots?

When I just set the aperature and let the camera (T1i) set the exposure time, a lot of the time, it's overexposed/too bright.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 4:06 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by jtn
Pardon the noob question. How do you deterimine the exposure time for these types of shots?

When I just set the aperature and let the camera (T1i) set the exposure time, a lot of the time, it's overexposed/too bright.
Most of those I posted were taken in Aperture Priority at F/22. I manually the white balance to Tungsten to compensate for the yellowish cast that artificial lights make on a photo, and set the ISO to 200, which made the exposure time come out longer.

To help determine exposure, use the Info button on your camera to turn the histogram on in your pic review. Learn what a properly balanced histogram looks like, and you'll be able to tell if your pic is under-exposed or over-exposed, and then you can re-shoot with Exposure Compensation.

It takes a while to learn this stuff. Just take it one step at a time.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
Originally Posted by jtn

Most Canon DSLR cameras will automatically adjust the aperture, and some Auto ISO, to allow the exposure to be stretched up to 30 seconds without the need to use a manual/timed cable release. You'll definately need a steady surface or a tripod though.

You should try to experiment with the way you take your pictures and not just rely on setting the aperture as that may not be suitable for all types of shots depending on available light and the depth of field you may require. I'd suggest the following workflow (assuming you're not using a manual cable release/timer);

1) Set the camera to the ISO setting you want. If you're wanting to use AUTO ISO then be careful to watch what it's doing as high ISOs always cause more noise (See point 4)
2) Check your metering setting. Set this to center/spot weighted rather than the whole scene.
3) Set the camera to AV and dial in an aperture that going to give what you want to achieve from the scene, the higher aperture setting, the longer the exposure you'll need (but the greater depth of field you'll get)
4) Compose the scene and half press the shutter to see what the exposure is showing (also note the ISO if you're using AUTO ISO). If it's off the scale (over 30 seconds and flashing) or the ISO is too high for you then adjust the ISO and/or aperture setting (up/down respectively) until you get the exposure under 30 seconds.
5) Take a test shot
6) If your picture is overexposed then the trick is to get the auto exposure (which you've set above to center) to meter on a slightly lighter part of the scene outside of the center metering. Move the camera around and find slightly lighter area in the center, half press the shutter and press the AE Lock (*) button on the back of the camera, recompose the scene and take the picture. You'll have about 5 seconds to do this I recall before AE Lock resets.
7) If it's underexposed then do the opposite of this but note that you might have to go back and adjust the aperture and ISO again to bring it back under 30 seconds.
8) Trial and error!

Always shoot RAW rather than JPG as once you've got the picture on your machine you'll have more flexibility with adjustments as you'll have much more detail in the file (resolution, colour depth, etc).

Once you get used to this then experiment further with ND or ND grad filters to artificially darken the scene to get the effect you want. I've just picked up a ND110 which allows long exposures during daylight so I'm looking forward to playing around with that. Also pick up a cable release with a dial timer which will give you ultimate flexibility and will allow you to shoot with the M setting and get any exposure you want.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:10 am
jtn

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you WillCAD & mattk for the detailed guide. Will test and use all methods.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I wish the photos could really do justice here. Middle of Death Valley on the night of a new (i.e. no) moon. With the naked eye it was just unbeleiveable.

30 seconds at f/4

As long as I'm posting...

6 seconds

Hmmm, can't find the other one. I'll keep looking.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:51 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by arvin charles
Are you using a Wide Angle?
Awesome shot!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:53 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
I wish the photos could really do justice here. Middle of Death Valley on the night of a new (i.e. no) moon. With the naked eye it was just unbeleiveable.

30 seconds at f/4

As long as I'm posting...

6 seconds

Hmmm, can't find the other one. I'll keep looking.
Where was it exactly taken from?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

30 seconds at f/4
What was illuminating the Joshua trees? On a moonless night, I would have thought even that long of an exposure wouldn't have shown anything on the ground.

Neat photos, both!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:29 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by jackal
What was illuminating the Joshua trees? On a moonless night, I would have thought even that long of an exposure wouldn't have shown anything on the ground.

Neat photos, both!
I am assuming headlights from a car
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:30 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Most of those I posted were taken in Aperture Priority at F/22. I manually the white balance to Tungsten to compensate for the yellowish cast that artificial lights make on a photo, and set the ISO to 200, which made the exposure time come out longer.

To help determine exposure, use the Info button on your camera to turn the histogram on in your pic review. Learn what a properly balanced histogram looks like, and you'll be able to tell if your pic is under-exposed or over-exposed, and then you can re-shoot with Exposure Compensation.

It takes a while to learn this stuff. Just take it one step at a time.
Also why would even bother shooting at a F stop of 22 unless you are shooting extreme macro that makes zero sense
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
Also why would even bother shooting at a F stop of 22 unless you are shooting extreme macro that makes zero sense
F/22 is a small aperture.

Small aperture = wide depth of field.

I wanted a wide depth of field so that more of each pic would be in focus, because many of the pics I was shooting that night were in areas where a lot of stuff was interesting at many different distances from the camera.

Make sense now?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The Death Valley photo was taken at the edge of the parking lot at the Stovepipe Wells Village hotel where I was staying. They use low wattage yellow lights as part of their dark sky initiative, and they were just right to light up the foreground. I drove two miles down the road to the dunes parking lot, with no lighting, but the images came out like the top 2/3 of the image above - nothing interesting in the foreground and my flashlight wasn't bright enough to light up the dunes in the distance in the exposure time available. I had planned on returning the following night for a longer exposure, allowing the stars to rotate and more time to light up the dunes, but it was cloudy.

One note on apertures - Canon APC cameras start having their sharpness reduced by diffraction at about f/13, and it's significant by f/22, so avoid it if you're looking for maximum sharpness or large printing (12x8 or larger). At 18mm, the hyperfocal distance is 5 feet at f/11, so everything from 2.5 feet to infinity can be in focus, with no diffraction limitation. I carry around a hyperfocal/DoF table in my bag and have one on my phone to do these calculations when shooting.

On the flip side, another artifact of an f/22 aperture is the starburst effect on the bright lights (the 18-200 obviously has a 6-blade diaphragm) which makes for an interesting photo and the diffraction impact is not noticeable at web-posting sizes so if that's your target it's a good option in some situations even when the DoF isn't needed. I have version of the WTC tribute shot at wider apertures to starburst all the lights on the bridge at the expense of sharpness. So aperture choice has multiple technical and creative aspects to it.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The Death Valley photo was taken at the edge of the parking lot at the Stovepipe Wells Village hotel where I was staying. They use low wattage yellow lights as part of their dark sky initiative, and they were just right to light up the foreground. I drove two miles down the road to the dunes parking lot, with no lighting, but the images came out like the top 2/3 of the image above - nothing interesting in the foreground and my flashlight wasn't bright enough to light up the dunes in the distance in the exposure time available. I had planned on returning the following night for a longer exposure, allowing the stars to rotate and more time to light up the dunes, but it was cloudy.
Cool; thanks for the explanation! I was wondering if it was natural or artificial. Looked too bright and directed to be natural, but I wouldn't have thought to intentionally allow artificial light affect a night sky composition.

I'll leave your technical explanations in your second two paragraphs for others who have the time and funds to pursue photography.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:01 am

One note on apertures - Canon APC cameras start having their sharpness reduced by diffraction at about f/13, and it's significant by f/22, so avoid it if you're looking for maximum sharpness or large printing (12x8 or larger). At 18mm, the hyperfocal distance is 5 feet at f/11, so everything from 2.5 feet to infinity can be in focus, with no diffraction limitation. I carry around a hyperfocal/DoF table in my bag and have one on my phone to do these calculations when shooting.

On the flip side, another artifact of an f/22 aperture is the starburst effect on the bright lights (the 18-200 obviously has a 6-blade diaphragm) which makes for an interesting photo and the diffraction impact is not noticeable at web-posting sizes so if that's your target it's a good option in some situations even when the DoF isn't needed. I have version of the WTC tribute shot at wider apertures to starburst all the lights on the bridge at the expense of sharpness. So aperture choice has multiple technical and creative aspects to it.
I was just going for a wider depth of field when I set my aperture to f/22, but I do like the starburst effect on long-exposure night shots, so I'll add that bit of info to my brain and hope it sticks.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:51 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Rome at night from the Spanish Steps

Weird lighting effects - I forgot to remove the circular polariser:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.