Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: dog toys

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2009, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
OT: dog toys

Cobaka loves tennis balls and rope toys, but destroys them in no time flat. We've tried Tuff Balls which last far longer than standard tennis balls, so we're happy there. However, the problem we have is with rope toys. I found one in July that was amazing. It's lasted until now, and the rope braid was probably about two inches in diameter. Unfortunately, I can't find another one like it in stores now. The only ones I can find are far smaller, and from prior experience, I know they won't last with her. Any suggestions?

If I can find it, I'm going to stock up, in part because the foster dog we'll be getting soon loves to play tug, so I'm assuming that he'll want a good rope toy too.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

A Note about Toys for Puppies

Puppies seem to love squeaky toys. However, that little squeaky thing can be removed by a strong pup. The problem is that pups can choke on the squeaker. I recommend removing the squeaker from the puppy toys. Not a problem after the pup is over 6 months old, but an active puppy can remove that squeaky thing in a nano-second. It can be really dangerous.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Cobaka loves tennis balls and rope toys, but destroys them in no time flat. We've tried Tuff Balls which last far longer than standard tennis balls, so we're happy there. However, the problem we have is with rope toys. I found one in July that was amazing. It's lasted until now, and the rope braid was probably about two inches in diameter. Unfortunately, I can't find another one like it in stores now. The only ones I can find are far smaller, and from prior experience, I know they won't last with her. Any suggestions?
Kipper, I can't speak to rope toys in general because Charlie won't play with anything that doesn't squeak. He really has a kill instinct... Anyway, I was looking at toys and I found this link that shows how to make your own rope toys! I have no idea if it's of interest to you but I thought it was kind of ingenious. As long as you can knot it, I would assume you could use a fairly thick rope. And, you can make a lot of them for cheap! When does your foster arrive, by the way?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Rope-Dog-Toy/

And by the way, I always take the squeaky away if (once) Charlie rips out the squeaker. Thanks, obscure2k for that reminder!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Cobaka has never had a squeaky toy--for my sanity, I've never given her one. The make your own rope toy looks like it could work well!!! Thanks! At least I could make one today or tomorrow, rather than waiting on the one pet store to receive their new order. They've been out of the one that I think it is for over a week. However, I'd opt to make one without the monkey fist, because with her instinct to shake something to break its neck, we're afraid she'd hurt either herself or us with a monkey fist.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:27 am
Original Poster

jennj99738, to answer your question about the foster, he doesn't arrive for another few weeks. We were going to pick him up this past Friday, but then decided that with taking a vacation in two weeks, it was better if we waited until we returned. That way, he won't start to adjust to us, only to have us leave him for a week. Instead, we'll pick him up on a Friday and have all weekend with the two dogs, before heading back to work, and our schedules will be fairly constant for a while.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:19 am

Programs: Aadvantage, Marriott, Starwood, Southwest
It's so funny how dogs have different likes and dislikes ... Fluke (9 y.o. yellow lab) has no interest in rope/pull toys ... she will however, remove the felt from a tennis ball and then chew it to pieces (in under 5 mins.). When we first had her I bought an "indestructible" rolling ball, that doled out mini treats ... the salesperson said it would be great. That lasted about 15 mins. before it was destroyed. We've been told she's an aggressive chewer ... so at one point we let her chew on sticks, logs, and soda bottles (w/lids, rings, etc. removed) ... she never ate the stuff, just chewed and chewed. She recently fell in love w/marrow bones. I have also tried squeaky toys ... found a snake w/velcro seams, so as she removes the squeaker I insert a new one (bought a package of 12). However, the squeak is not her favorite thing to play with. She likes to toss her toys and then chase after them ... which is hysterical to watch. The family dogs recently got together and my dog managed to chew holes in her cousins' squeaky toys in no time ... all 3 were ruined. She won't completely destroy a toy at a time ... she will get whatever's available, and chew a hole in each one immediately ... so they are no longer whole. She also likes to puncture the tennis balls w/her teeth, and then carry the ball in her mouth, hooked on her tooth. These dogs are just a joy to behold. Brings a smile to our face several times per day!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baglab
It's so funny how dogs have different likes and dislikes ... Fluke (9 y.o. yellow lab) has no interest in rope/pull toys ... she will however, remove the felt from a tennis ball and then chew it to pieces (in under 5 mins.). When we first had her I bought an "indestructible" rolling ball, that doled out mini treats ... the salesperson said it would be great. That lasted about 15 mins. before it was destroyed. We've been told she's an aggressive chewer ... so at one point we let her chew on sticks, logs, and soda bottles (w/lids, rings, etc. removed) ... she never ate the stuff, just chewed and chewed. She recently fell in love w/marrow bones. I have also tried squeaky toys ... found a snake w/velcro seams, so as she removes the squeaker I insert a new one (bought a package of 12). However, the squeak is not her favorite thing to play with. She likes to toss her toys and then chase after them ... which is hysterical to watch. The family dogs recently got together and my dog managed to chew holes in her cousins' squeaky toys in no time ... all 3 were ruined. She won't completely destroy a toy at a time ... she will get whatever's available, and chew a hole in each one immediately ... so they are no longer whole. She also likes to puncture the tennis balls w/her teeth, and then carry the ball in her mouth, hooked on her tooth. These dogs are just a joy to behold. Brings a smile to our face several times per day!
Cobaka has also chewed on soda bottles occasionally, and will chew them into little pieces, leaving little pieces of the plastic everywhere!

She too will puncture tennis balls and still carry them around.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I have two dogs (both rescues) currently: Jack, a Basenji-Terrier who looks like a Basenji but comes with a fully terrier interior, runs like the wind, and can expertly perform a squeakectomy in five seconds flat, and Nikki, a tricolor Basenji. The love toys, and play tug-of-war with each other.

The best source for toys I have found was forwarded to me by a friend who also has rescue Basenjis (and a New Guinea singing dog to boot!) They primarily sell wholesale, but they have no problem selling to individuals - they are accurate, fast and economical: www.petedge.com

As to chewies, I'd avoid many plastics as they contain phthalates and often fracture into sharp pieces that can play havoc with a dog's insides. Natural rubber, like Kongs, should be fine.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:29 am

Try to find on this site http://thepaws.depapaz.com
They have many qualified pet toys, you can also try their newsletter first for an updated new comer product.
I bought twice from them and it's so very though quality pet toys.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:12 am
Original Poster

I did finally give Cobaka a squeaky toy, and she LOVES them. She's had a tough fire hose toy with squeakers for probably about a year (several toys) and just received a squeaky hedgehog as a present. It's funny though--she chases it and gets excited when you squeak it, but she'll cuddle with it, not chew it! She'll chew the fire hose toy though.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
I have a Beagle, Indy who loves to rip the "heart" out of squeaky toys. The other day she came home with a tigger stuffed animal with squeaker inside but she doesn't chew it she put it on her bed and cuddles up to it. if she is napping on the back porch she will bring tigger out to enjoy the sun with her. We have no idea where it came from. From time to time she gets out and roams around the neighborhood so I am guessing one of the neighbor kids is missing a stuffed animal
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ninerfan
I have a Beagle, Indy who loves to rip the "heart" out of squeaky toys. The other day she came home with a tigger stuffed animal with squeaker inside but she doesn't chew it she put it on her bed and cuddles up to it. if she is napping on the back porch she will bring tigger out to enjoy the sun with her. We have no idea where it came from. From time to time she gets out and roams around the neighborhood so I am guessing one of the neighbor kids is missing a stuffed animal
Cobaka isn't the only one who will take a stuffed animal and cuddle it, rather than chew it? Isn't it so sweet?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
indestructible

The only toys not shredded instantly by our Russian Laika mix, rescued from fending for herself on the mean streets of a Central Asian city, are a brand of very tough, fibrous natural fabric, triple-stitched animal shapes available from Personal Beast in Portland, OR: 503-445-9449. (Called them to get brand name before posting, but they may have closed early if it's still snowing there.) They have small squeakers inside, and have also proved impervious to her Lab buddy who likes to deconstruct his toys and carry around the squeaker. Well-made colorful lobsters, rattlesnakes, hedgehogs etc. that are artworthy on their own.

Got it: tuffietoys.com

Last edited by YCTTSFM; Mar 22, 2012 at 6:58 pm Reason: add brand info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.