Wiki Posts
Search

Pet in cabin

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum
Pet in cabin

My dog is small, but tall. She can't stand in the kennel, but can easily turn around. My question is, does Delta really require pet in the cabin to be able to stand in the kennel (all I can see on their website is the pet has to be "comfortable")? If so, do they really enforce the rule when you buy the pet ticket at the check in counter?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL,NW,AA,UA,SPG
Pet in Cabin

The Federal Government requires that all pets in kennels on airlines be able to stand up and turn around. The agents due check all kennels and the animals for the many federal requirements or be subject to fines

DD
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dropps
The Federal Government requires that all pets in kennels on airlines be able to stand up and turn around. The agents due check all kennels and the animals for the many federal requirements or be subject to fines

DD
Thanks for your reply, are you referring to this? (Quoted below)
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/f...wpetravel.html

It specifically says "Carryon pets are NOT protected by the Animal Welfare Act".

I looked at FAA website related to carryon pets, it doesn't say that the pet needs to be able to stand either.

Please let me know if there is a specific federal law on the kennel size of carryon pets.

Traveling by Air With Your Pet
Animal Care

January 2002

Dogs, cats, and most other warmblooded animals transported by air are protected by the Animal Welfare Act. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) enforces this law.

APHIS' shipping regulations help assure that animals are treated humanely by airlines as well as animal dealers, exhibitors, and research laboratories. Pet exhibitors, owners, and other shippers also are affected by regulations established to protect the well-being and safety of animals in transit.

Airline Procedures
Airlines transport animals in the cargo compartment of the plane, but some airlines allow passengers to transport small animals in the cabin as carryon luggage. The pet must be placed in a kennel that is comfortable yet small enough to fit under the passenger's seat. Carryon pets are not protected by the Animal Welfare Act. For specific airline requirements, contact the airline.

APHIS Requirements

Dogs and cats must be at least 8 weeks old and must have been weaned before traveling with the airlines.
Kennels
Kennels must meet minimum standards for size, strength, sanitation, and ventilation.
Size and Strength
Kennels must be enclosed and allow room for the animal to stand, sit, breathe, and rest comfortably. They must be easy to open, strong enough to withstand the stress of shipping, and free of objects that could injure the animal.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this is not a Delta-specific question, I am moving this thread to the FT Travel With Pets Forum.
Much useful info in that forum re: traveling with pets.
Please continue the discussion there..
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I've never had anyone check that per-se, but they did want to make sure there was reasonable space. NW was more stringent about that and everything else related to pets than AA.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dropps

DD
Please show us the law that you are referencing as this is the first time that I have ever heard of such a requirement in all of the years I have traveled with my dog. To the best of my knowledge the carryon pet requirements are totally in the domain of the individual airlines. As every airline has a different size for the carryon bag they will allow, the ability of the animal to stand up depends on the height of the bag that your airline allows.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Please show us the law that you are referencing as this is the first time that I have ever heard of such a requirement in all of the years I have traveled with my dog. To the best of my knowledge the carryon pet requirements are totally in the domain of the individual airlines. As every airline has a different size for the carryon bag they will allow, the ability of the animal to stand up depends on the height of the bag that your airline allows.
Hi RSSrsvp, have you tranvelled with Delta with carryon pet? Do they check or require the pet to be able to stand up in the kennel? After all, the website says that pet has to be "comfortable". Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qq511
Hi RSSrsvp, have you tranvelled with Delta with carryon pet? Do they check or require the pet to be able to stand up in the kennel? After all, the website says that pet has to be "comfortable". Thanks!
DL has been my preferred carrier for many years and I have never been asked to show them anything but my credit card to pay for the carryon pet fee. Of course if one were to squeeze a fully grown bulldog into a Sherpa bag that might be another story.

I would still like to know what your source is for this "federal" rule? The airlines have listed their own standards for carryon pet travel and each one is slightly different.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:34 am
Original Poster

DL has been my preferred carrier for many years and I have never been asked to show them anything but my credit card to pay for the carryon pet fee. Of course if one were to squeeze a fully grown bulldog into a Sherpa bag that might be another story.

I would still like to know what your source is for this "federal" rule? The airlines have listed their own standards for carryon pet travel and each one is slightly different.
I am not the one saying that federal law requires carryon pet be able to stand in kennel. My understanding is, Animal Welfare Act requires the kennel for checked pet big enough for it to stand, sit and turn around. But the act doesn't apply to carryon pet. Therefore individual airline can set its own standard.

It sounds to me that Delta has been pretty lenient towards pet in cabin, since it doesn't have weight restrictions (other than of course it has to be counted as one carryon piece), or requirement of "stand in kennel" as a lot of other airlines do.

I'll report back after the trip.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My mistake as it was dropps who said that it was a federal law.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
No idea whether it's a fed'l law, FAA policy, or just something the TA's make up @ time of check-in, but I can vouch for being not only asked whether my furpeople could stand up in their carriers 2 yrs ago when we moved, but the TA (on AA) actually wanted to see each of them (cats) do it. I plunked the male's carrier on the counter & told her to discuss w/him directly but that he was in a bad mood & then showed her my ripped up arm where we disagreed over his getting in the carrier in the first place. She didn't mention it again.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:55 pm

DL has been my preferred carrier for many years and I have never been asked to show them anything but my credit card to pay for the carryon pet fee.
I totally agree with this having flown Delta with a dog over Thanksgiving and in August this year. Also having flown with our dog about 2 dozen times, I've only been asked once or twice to see the dog in the kennel. Just FYI, our dog is a beagle who can stand up (although hunched over) and turn around in her kennel...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:11 am
nam

Programs: Delta Gold
Has anyone ever had a problem, specifically on NW, taking their pet out of their carrier during their flight? On our last flight my little boy, for some reason unknown to me, got very nervous and started to whine. Rather than incur the wrath of the flight attendents I kept him in his kennel and tried to calm him down. I had set the carrier between my husband and myself - we were in first class so there was plenty of room - and almost immediately the attendent came by and told me to return the kennel to the floor. I did so, he continued to whine and we were both miserable. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I assumed that since I had paid the pet fee and the kennel was counted as a carry one I could remove it from under the seat as you can with any other carry on and stow it only during take off and landing.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 1:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Given the variability in how airlines deal with pets and carry-on pets, I'd heartily recommend everyone traveling with a pet or two check the airline's policies before purchasing a ticket - and at least prior to travelling. (I'd even print the policy out and carry a hard copy in case of any dispute with an airline employee.)

Northwest's Carry-on Pet policy is easily available at its website, and in part it states:

N.B. Referencing the OP, it also states: For the safety and comfort of your pet, please make sure your pet can fit comfortably inside your carry-on kennel. The kennel must be large enough to allow your pet to move about. No part of your pet may extend outside of the kennel. This includes long tails on some birds. (It does not state they must be able to stand up and turn around... either.)

Accomodation: Your pet must always remain in its carry-on under your seat for the duration of the flight. Northwest limits each flight to six (6) carry-on kennels; two (2) in First or WorldBusiness Class and four (4) in Economy. On Northwest Airlink flights operated by Mesaba and Pinnacle Airlines, there is a limit of four (4) carry-on kennels: two (2) in First Class and two (2) in Economy.

Delta's pet policy states: Your pet must remain inside the kennel (with door secured) while in a Delta boarding area (during boarding and deplaning), a Delta airport lounge, and while onboard the aircraft.

RSSrsvp has kindly established a "sticky" FAQ thread (at the top of the Forum) with links to many airlines' pet policies. It's there to be used, for your convenience.

Originally Posted by nam
Has anyone ever had a problem, specifically on NW, taking their pet out of their carrier during their flight? On our last flight my little boy, for some reason unknown to me, got very nervous and started to whine. Rather than incur the wrath of the flight attendents I kept him in his kennel and tried to calm him down. I had set the carrier between my husband and myself - we were in first class so there was plenty of room - and almost immediately the attendent came by and told me to return the kennel to the floor. <snip>
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by nam
Has anyone ever had a problem, specifically on NW, taking their pet out of their carrier during their flight? On our last flight my little boy, for some reason unknown to me, got very nervous and started to whine. Rather than incur the wrath of the flight attendents I kept him in his kennel and tried to calm him down. I had set the carrier between my husband and myself - we were in first class so there was plenty of room - and almost immediately the attendent came by and told me to return the kennel to the floor. I did so, he continued to whine and we were both miserable. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I assumed that since I had paid the pet fee and the kennel was counted as a carry one I could remove it from under the seat as you can with any other carry on and stow it only during take off and landing.
nam,
Sorry your little guy was miserable, but unfortunately the rules for travelling with a pet in the cabin do state that the carrier must remain completely closed and under the seat in front of you the entire time. I can see where pulling it on our the floor between your seats probably wouldn't be a problem, but the biggest problem the airlines encounter is people that unzip the carrier "just a little bit" so they can pet their animal or give it something to eat or drink. You would be surprised how that little taste of freedom and small route of escape can quickly escalate into a pet being completely out of the carrier and on the loose. I've seen it several times! The majority of the pets I've seen in the cabin have been very well behaved, but there are also many that don't do well in strange surroundings with lots of noise and people they don't know. There have been instances of pets getting loose and biting and scratching people and also relieving themselves (again, probably out of fright). One time we had asked someone several times to secure their pet carrier, but the little dog eventually got loose and unfortunately found a little opening on the floor in the ventilation system and disappeared. When the flight landed maintenance had to come on and basically rip up the lower sidewalls trying to find the lost pooch. They did find him none the worse for wear, but it made the airplane take a long delay and inconvenienced lots of people.
I love animals, all shapes and sizes, but when they're on the airplane they do have to stay put in their little habitat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.