Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Sneaking Pets into the Hotel to avoid the fee?

Sneaking Pets into the Hotel to avoid the fee?

Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Although the inquiry in this thread involves a Homewood Suites by Hilton property, the topic is really of a more general nature and is not really specific to Hilton Hotels properties or the Hilton HHonors frequent guest program.

The new home of this thread is the TravelBuzz! forum. This will allow other FlyerTalk members who are members of frequent guest programs of other hotel chains and properties to contribute to this thread.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Hilton forum
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phatty
Anyone have any experience sneaking your pet into the hotel to avoid the fee?
If they do, I hope it doesn't mean suffocating them into one's bags.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by mikey1003
You ever think about those of us who are deathly allergic to cats?
And dogs. Just thoughtlessness and selfishness. They have no idea what a nighttime asthma attack is all about.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And rabbits as well.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
The fine is usually twice the deposit if you get caught.

I have snuck mine into a hotel that didn't except pets though.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by limelight
Sneaking animals in... something people seem to be oddly insistent upon doing. For various reasons.

Those who work in the luxury sector in London have more than a few anecdotes about fearsomely rich Middle Easterners who book up the five-star hotels during August, spend like mad, order up room service - then the poor room-service waiter brings in their order, and finds a goat being killed in the middle of the suite.
Oh gosh!!!
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by phatty
Anyone have any experience sneaking your pet into the hotel to avoid the fee? I have a stay at the Homewood in Corpus Christi, and they charge a $100 non-refundable fee. That's almost twice what I'm paying for the room for myself... Any advice?
Pay for the dog at the hotel or leave him/her home at your local kennel. Do you shoplift from the grocery store because you think you shouldn't have to pay for the items you want?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've paid $25 at a few motels but never more than that. I don't sneak in pets.

But what I have seen are dogs and cats locked up in cars in the parking lots so people can avoid paying the fees. This I don't like. I feel very sorry for the animals. Yes, the dogs do bark all night.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
I'm guessing the $100 is per stay? That is prohibitive for a one-night stay, to be sure, but no big deal at all on an extended stay. I paid a $75 fee at a Residence Inn for a 66 night stay with my pup. That's just over a buck a night.
Yowsa! That's a Platinum Pup!

Did they have to break the 66-night stay into multiple folios? When I used to "live" at an RI, I had to checkout/checkin once a month. It was good for everyone involved: the RI got to post the revenue, I received my points in monthly chunks, and I was able to bill my client a steady amount. But if I had had a pet, I imagine they would've tried to hit me with $75 per stay...
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
This Hilton hotel does not allow pets. So the animal would have had to be sneaked in.
In theory, it could have been a seeing-eye dog.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:43 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Please DO NOT do this. I got a room that I was sure an animal, probably dog, had been in. The room smelled terrible, primarily like wet dog, and something the dog may have done in the room. It had been raining the day before.
This Hilton hotel does not allow pets. So the animal would have had to be sneaked in. And the usual cleaning, which did not remove the smell, was done. I refused the room and moved out as fast as possible.

There is no way to predict what a dog/animal will do to the room. I'm sure this particular room had to be done several times to make it acceptable. Not to mention if the dog "marked" the furniture. If this is the case, I can see why an extra $100 would be charged for pets.
Why not make the $100 a bond instead of a fee, returnable if animal behaved itself in a clean and civilised fashion? Personally I would rather sleep in a room whose previous occupant was a well-behaved and well-groomed dog (or reasonably so) than a one which had housed a chain-smoker, or someone who used an ineradicable brand of perfume or aftershave.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
When properties have high non-refundable pet fees like this they are really just saying"we would rather not have your pet staying with us"which is just fine IMO.
There are pet friendly chains(starwood-motel 6)and certain properties within other chains that are not so harsh on pet owners.Stay with one of them,or pay the fee at the other.or board the pet.
BTW-just as an aside.I have found a fantastic product for getting rid of pet urine(feline and canine as well as bunnies and humans)That also tells the pet NOT to do it their again.Private me for more info.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:34 am

We travel with our dog and it's not hard to find a place with reasonable or no pet fees. All the Red Roofs accept pets, many La Quintas, a lot of Hampton Inns.

People who break rules with their pets make it tougher for the rest of us. Don't sneak your pet in when I'm there as I might turn you in.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:20 pm
Suspended

We rarely travel with our cat, except to transport her to a family member if we are traveling for a long time. In this case, we stay at Motel 6 which is very pet friendly.

There was one situation, where we had to sneak her into a Sheraton hotel in the middle of a small city at New Year's. We placed her in a bag, zipped it up, and she stayed silent and motionless even as we rode up to the top floor in the elevator with a member of the hotel staff and several NYE partygoers. Cat was unhappy but unharmed when we reached the room.

Our cat doesn't make a mess of anything, but I do apologize if a cat-allergic person stayed the next night in that room (although it seems unilkely, through multiple regular cleanings the dander would be gone.)
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:22 pm
In memoriam

Motel Six has a policy of allowing one pet per room. Some have stretched it to two small dogs. Pets are not supposed to be left alone in room--all in all, a very reasonable policy. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.