Pets on Planes

Old Oct 7, 2002, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
if I had a cat allergy I would make sure i asked ast the gate if there were cats on board and if so I would ask to be rescheduled., For flights where there aren't very many each day I'm not sure how to best handle it. But the folks I know w/ bad allergies are very proactive about situations where they may be exposed to allergens.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:28 am

Programs: delta/song
There is a list the f/a's have available that shows where all the PETC are. There are a certain amount you can have in each cabin. I keep the list handy in case someone is complaining about not feeling well and can narrow it down to a pet allergy. I think they should tell the pax in the surronding rows about the PETC
Old Oct 8, 2002, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Most airlines have a limit of one pet per cabin for a fee of $75. No last minute bookings are usually available. Yes, people do sneak pets on. Some of the new travel carriers for small pets are similar to large purses.

As far as who owes what information to whom...the airlines are ducking on this one.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 10:29 am

If you are blind you can take your dog - as per the american with disabilities act. No allergy will be able to prevent such a dog from boarding - now or in the future.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 10:38 am
Original Poster

i still think they need to disclose the fact there will be a pet on board and then either re-accomodate the pet or the passenger with the allergies. No one should have to suffer. This is an issue about disclosure.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 12:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hbtraveler:
i still think they need to disclose the fact there will be a pet on board and then either re-accomodate the pet or the passenger with the allergies. No one should have to suffer. This is an issue about disclosure.</font>
I think everyone here is saying that they do disclose, but you just have to ask. Ask the gate attendant or, if necessary, the captain before takeoff.

I travel with my dog all the time in cabin(see my handle), but I'm very sympathetic to your situation. From the pet side, it's important to note that many US airlines no longer transport animals as luggage because there have been too many deaths. To put your pet in the hold now requires expensive cargo fees, and you can't be guaranteed what flight your pet will fly on. And there is still no guarantee of safety.

Nevertheless, I don't think it is fair to make the allergic passenger switch airplanes, unless that is their choice. So I think the allergic passenger should be offered the following choices -
1) First class upgrade, with the pet moved to a section that makes sense (maybe in the back, but maybe not based on the design of the vent system)
OR
2) Pet and companions change flights (at no charge).
OR
3) Allergic passenger and companions change flights (at no charge).

Option 1 is awfully unlikely, at least in today's climate.

Option 2 might force an unscheduled overnight by the pet and family, but I still think it is fairest -- and if it becomes policy, pet owners should encouraged to book flights early in the day.

Finally, remember that you can always appeal your case to the captain, who has full authority to implement any of the above options. But be careful in your presentation, because they could just go for option 3!

[This message has been edited by Rut Dog (edited 10-08-2002).]
Old Oct 8, 2002, 12:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
as far as I know, guide-dogs accompanying blind-persons, get free access on any flight/airline.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 9:08 am
Suspended

If I am flying with my pet I should not have to change my itin if I was upfront with the airline and paid the fee because someone else was allergic. Why should I have to be inconvencienced and cause undue stress to my pets by forcing an overnight, potentially due to a reroute. If I book a flight, I want that flight.

I dont' whine or complain when someone on my flight sits next to me with toxic cologne or perfume, which triggers an allergic reaction, I just put up with it. Sorry travelling with the masses means you put up with what you get. If it is that big of an issue, book a private jet guaranteed to be free of pets.

------------------
If you want to experience good customer service from an airline forget Air Canada and try CanJet or WestJet
Old Oct 9, 2002, 9:11 am
Original Poster

the point is not denying someone entry to a plane - it is disclosure - I would have gladly changed my flight - if the airline told me - they need to disclose this upfront before oassengers get on a plane.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 12:09 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Did you ask them if there were pets onboard?

Seems like that would have been a simple question to ask...

If you did, and they "lied" then that is wrong.

However, we cannot expect them to disclose everything possible on a flight that people are allergic to...what about the meals, perfumes, etc.?

William
Old Oct 9, 2002, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

the flight attendant was not aware the cat was onboard - there was no record of it.

Old Oct 9, 2002, 1:44 pm

Rut Dog gets my vote as the model traveling pet owner

Regarding the seating of allergic people and pets in separate sections of the aircraft:

- ventilation systems are designed for lateral air flow within the cabin, with minimal fore-aft air movement
- cabin air exhaust takes place near the junction of the fuselage and floor; having the pet under a window seat should minimize the spread of allergens
- air is filtered and recycled 12-15 times per hour
- air from the entire cabin is filtered and collected in a common mixing chamber before redistribution; thus, if an allergen is not caught by the filters, it could conceivably go from one end to the other of the plane
- Boeing indicates particles 0.1-0.2 micron in size are the 'most penetrating particles' for its filters. Min. 94% efficiency for 0.3 micron particles, 99.9% for 0.03 micron. Not sure where cats' allergens fit.

In theory sitting far away from the problem pet should help.

More info on cabin air flow here

P.S. this diagram indicates that on a 767, air exhaust from the rear half of the cabin is evacuated to the atmosphere, while air from the front half goes into the recirculation pool.
Thus, the ideal place for a pet would be under a window seat at the rear of the aircraft!

[This message has been edited by monahos (edited 10-09-2002).]
Old Oct 10, 2002, 10:47 pm

It seems to me, that if you do have a severe allergy to a pet, you should notify the airline at time of booking. As others have said, PETC requires a 48 hour reconfirm. If the Airline knows that you have such an allergy that gives the Pet Owner the option of taking a different flight. (I know that peanuts will be removed from a flight if someone with a severe allergy is scheduled to fly, I have even had the FA make the announcement that because of an allergy no peanuts would be available)

As to someone who sneaks a pet on board, If it affects someone drastically, the sneakee should have to pay for any change or upgrade in addition to being charged at least the going rate for PETC.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Seems to me it ought to be on a first come basis. If I've reserved and paid for my pet months in advance, it's not right that I get bumped by a walkup with allergies.

Likewise, someone with allergies should be able to note that when they book onto a flight without pets, and the airline should then not allow pets to subsequently book that flight.

My two cents.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 10:45 am

It's not just the air circulation. There will be cat dander around that seat persisting despite several thorough vacuumings. So the next passenger who sits where the cat was, if allergic, could very well react badly and no one would know why.

I too am very bothered by cats, also perfumes, and the smells of new carpeting and some synthetic fabrics. Worst assault for me is when the plane has been newly refurbished. I don't know how I would get advance notice of that!

I travel with a personal air purifier, and emergency medication. The little air purifier does seem to help.

Sylvia

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.