Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Pet Crate Requirements.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Pet Crate Requirements.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:11 am

That is good to hear Yasmeenz! Really hoping the couple inches on width and height aren’t an issue. My options departing Beijing are basically zero, if we are unable to board. Let us know how things go for you and safe travels.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:46 am

Will update you

Originally Posted by mryan1629
That is good to hear Yasmeenz! Really hoping the couple inches on width and height aren’t an issue. My options departing Beijing are basically zero, if we are unable to board. Let us know how things go for you and safe travels.
Sure! My flight is June 10th, you can send me then to remind me to give an update on the situation.

Btw, What is ur dog’s breed? I thought of the option of getting an X-Large crate instead of the giant which my dog, a golden, would fit but I just felt it wasn’t comfortable for such a long flight.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:11 am

She’s a 90lb chocolate Labrador. My favorite child out of all the children
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:31 am

She’s a 90lb chocolate Labrador. My favorite child out of all the children
hopefully you’ll be able to take him with no pbs. My flight is now May 15th. Will update you right after
Old May 16, 2022, 10:20 pm

Anyone have any more success stories with the larger crate? I'm flying from Seattle to Oslo via FRA in July with my 65lb border collie. She's large for her breed and want to make sure her trip is as comfortable and safe as possible. I've emailed Lufthansa and explicitly asked for permission to use the larger crate, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:20 am

Looking forward to hearing what they tell you Stan. I was told by Lufthansa that there is "some" discretion at check-in but that's all I could get.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:36 am

Yes, I saw that. Hopefully I get something a little more specific. I've also asked them for a recommendation for a commercially available crate matching their specifications.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:54 am

I managed to travel with the giant crate

So good news I just flew with my 90lb golden retreiver yesterday from Dulles Washington DC to Cairo Via Vienna. It was Austrian airlines. When I asked prior to my flight if I can get a crate that’s 48”*26*36, the allowed dimensions were 2 inches less in width and height. In the past they gave me like an approval for the bigger dimensions but this time they refused. So I just entered the maximum dimension they allow and at the airport no one measured the crate. Austrian is sister company to Lufthansa and onetime a Lufthansa call center employee told me that at the airport the pple will have some discretion and can allow it. Austrian were absolutely wonderful and took amazing care of the dog (I missed my second flight so had to layover in Vienna for 10 hours). The people in charge at airport did their at most to make sure the dog got his needs met.

Good luck to you all traveling this summer
Old May 17, 2022, 1:05 pm

That is promising, thank you for sharing.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 4:22 pm

Hello,

I am encountering a similar situation - I am planning to bring my Great Pyrenees overseas on Lufthansa in a Sky Kennel Giant (700). It seems from the above posts that I should not encounter a problem with the extra inch of height. However, the crate I bought came with the extension kit already installed, which makes it 42" in height, not 34".

I could possibly un-install the extension, but my dog is 33" tall when sitting upright, so I am afraid of the regular 700 being rejected since it is not 2" taller than the top of her head when sitting.

Has anyone successfully gotten away with a 700 + Extension kit on a Lufthansa flight? If so, are there specific aircrafts I should be looking for (Airbus vs 747, etc)?

Thank you!!
Old Apr 26, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I would uninstall the extension but bring it with you at check-in and re-install it at the airport if the staff insists.
The limiting factor in crate size acceptance is the forward cargo compartment door opening on aircraft. On all of LH's longhaul fleet,the doors are around 65 inches high, so no problem.The narrowbody Airbus A32x fleet has a door height of 45 inches.Still works (the makers of the kennel have to work around these dimensions and know their stuff).
What will NOT work is if your destination in Europe is served by LH Cityline using Embraer E190/195 or Bombardier regional jets - the cargo bay doors are only 35 inches high and it won't fit. Definitely find out what equipment LH (or whatever subsidiary who will actually operate the flight) will use for your hub-to-destination flight in Europe before booking.
LH publishes the dimensions for all of their fleet here:https://lufthansa-cargo.com/en/ci/fleet-infrastructure
The worst thing that could happen to you is that LH will deny transporting your dog as checked baggage and refer you to cargo. That will cost a fortune and likely result in a day or two of delays as you will have to check the animal with cargo which is logistically and physically different from the passenger check-in.
Especially if you haven't already bought tickets, you could also go to the airport in advance, ask to speak to the LH station manager and ask their opinion - because in the end it's the check-in staff who makes the judgement call about acceptance or not.
Bring crate & dog, leave the extension uninstalled but bring it with you. If they say "no" you at least know in advance, ideally before booking expensive tickets.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 12:23 pm

Wow, this is amazing -- thank you!!!

The first leg of the flight will be either an AIRBUS A330-300, AIRBUS A340-300, BOEING 747-8, or BOEING 787-9, depending on which flight I choose (still weighing my options, since Lufthansa does not operate out of the city I live in and I'll need to drive to another city to fly out). Either way, seems like that will be a 65" or 66" door height.

The second leg (FRA - SOF) is always an AIRBUS A320 (SHARKLETS), so presumably that's the 45" door height you speak of - it'll be a tight fit with the extension, but do-able.

Unfortunately because of the drive, I will not be able to go to the airport days in advance, but I will certainly plan to arrive several hours early. Presumably with a set of tools - guess I'm moving to Europe with a drill set
Old May 4, 2023, 10:27 pm

Any update?

Were you able to fly with your pet?

Hey Matt,

Flying out of Beijing in 8/13. Talked to Lufthansa desk agent last week who could only assure me that some discretion is used when you arrive for flight. Not very comforting, but that’s all I’m gonna get. When do you depart?
Old May 4, 2023, 10:29 pm

Any update?

Hi Yasmeen, were you able to use the giant?

Originally Posted by Yasmeenz
Sure! My flight is June 10th, you can send me then to remind me to give an update on the situation.

Btw, What is ur dog’s breed? I thought of the option of getting an X-Large crate instead of the giant which my dog, a golden, would fit but I just felt it wasn’t comfortable for such a long flight.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 1:31 pm

Lufthansa Experience

Hello all,

first time post and I am very thankful that this forum exists.

here is our experiences with flying with a Large and giant breed dog. (Colorado Mountain Dog and German Shepherd).

Our experiences are ongoing and exclusive to Lufthansa.

like most of you, pet shipping is our #1 stress.

we are GS employees and have never had issues getting waivers to fly on separate airlines, even those with no code share with US carriers. There’s always a waiver.

May 2022 we flew from DEN to FRA of Lufthansa. We used a PP100 crate and a Large Sky Kennel.

getting pet reservations through Lufthansa caller support was the absolute hardest part, but once that was done, it was actually pretty straight forward.

Med certificate was done at Fort Carson, but no one ever asked or looked at the paperwork.

Crates were never measured, only weighed. We abided by all of the pre flight checklist items.

we actually watched as the dogs were loaded into the aircraft (they were stacked on a larger pallet, so our worries about size were pretty meaningless).

fast forward to June 2023 and we are moving from FRA to HND. Again, using Lufthansa.

Booking was easier as I just went to FRA airport and approached the desk and booked our pets with our CWT SATO reservation.

We are downsizing the Colorado Mountain Dog’s crate to a 700 and we’re also told that it “should t” be a problem to take on the 747-8. We hope so as we don’t have a plan B due to this being a PCS move.

med certificate is scheduled at Vogelweh Vet.

I will update once we meet contact with Lufthansa.

we are also worried about rising temps and airlines not allowing us to fly if temps are greater than 84F at either departure or destination during times of flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.