Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Shared Private Jet for Flying Dogs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS

I'm moving from Seattle to Boston and need to get two old dogs there (mid sized 50 lbs). I know the only option on commercial flights is cargo (I wish I could buy a whole row of first class and keep them up there but alas no). I've looked into private jets but they are around $30,000 one-way. I dont need 10 seats, I only need 1 -- does anyone know of an app or website where people share jets? If 6 people split it, it'd be a reasonable $5,000 each. I've scoured the internet but haven't found anything. Has anyone heard of a crowd-sharing type service? The only thing I've found is JetSmarter which costs $8,000 just to become a member (which is worth it if you use it often -- I just need 1 flight).

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:10 pm

Have you considered driving?

I've done cross country moves with pets and it was far less trouble than trying to fly them.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I have done this with Blackjet in the past, unfortunately they don't exist anymore. Check out Surfair (surfair.com) and JetMe (privatejetfinder.com) . What you want is seats on empty legs.
​​​​​​​
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happened to the company the flew pets (only, no people passengers IIRC) on scheduled private (does this mean charter?) aircraft between a couple airports with vet techs on board?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What happened to the company the flew pets (only, no people passengers IIRC) on scheduled private (does this mean charter?) aircraft between a couple airports with vet techs on board?
Pet Airways went bankrupt and ceased operations in 2011 after only a few years of operations. They never made any money.
All subsequent attempts at re-establishing something similar never got off the ground.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
How about a train across the country instead? It might take longer, but it would be safer for your "children" than a plane. I also wonder how you are getting your car cross-country, you may want to see if the transport company, may also transport them as well for an additional fee.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:50 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Originally Posted by teddybear99
How about a train across the country instead?
Amtrak only allows small pets (20 pounds or less) on trips of seven hours or less in coach. Pets are not allowed in private rooms on cross-country journeys.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:11 pm

I've been trying to research the same thing as OP and it doesn't look like there isn't a great option. I believe JetSmarter does offer non-membership pricing that will cost less than $8k on a one way ticket now, but it seems like they're going through issues right now. Plus, I believe JS doesn't permit non-service dogs in the first place, though maybe the loophole is if you're willing to pay a $1k fine, assuming they still let you board...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.